Book Decay and Allergies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Decay and Allergies

Hey everyone. I had a sort of medical question. One of my hobbies is collecting antique books. I have books going back to 1812. I recently came into possession of some 30-50 year old history books. Reading and working with them has been difficult though because every time I open them up my sinuses go haywire.

I've never had this happen with my older books but several '60s-'70s volumes have been slaughtering my nasal passages. I was wondering if anyone had any info on what is causing this. As it is era specific is there some allergen being released from a specific kind of decaying paper? Anyone else had this curious occurance?

Am I just allergic to the disco era?
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

I dunno mate. I have books from the 1800's also. And I have allergies to boot. It is gonna literally be hell if I decide to move my ENTIRE collection here. After all, I now have a room LOADED with floor-to-ceiling bookshelves. Now the dust, maybe. Otherwise I don't know, cause I've been collecting these suckers since I was 12. 42 years ago.
    This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

What's crazy is that is era specific. My 19th centuries don't bother me. It's the 60s and 70s with coarse thick paper (glossed paper from this era doesn't seem to bother me).

Made me think maybe it was the paper.
      A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

My wife is an LPN. She says do you dust it at least twice a week? She also believes I have an allergy to certain inks. I just asked her. She loves to watch me even read a newspaper. KA-CHOO! Like 30 times til I am finished. Check into that. But as I told her, my books go nowhere.
        This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Do any of your books have information on time travel? if so I suggest you use that knowledge to go back in time and punish your young self for being weak enough to have allergic reactions to something as pedestrian as books.
          ------
          'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

...if it smells like a duck...

I deal with old books from time to time withour antiques biz. It could be that some of your more modern books have been subjected to dampness and/or mold spores. The older volumes are manufactured with paper that was processed differently.
            I always check a prospective acquisition very carefully for any sign of mold, mildew, or dampness. Use all your senses in this inspection, especially your sense of smell which can detect even minute amounts of deterioration.

ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
            IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Verify your paper/book dust allergen and undergo allergen immunotherapy.
              "Keep Calm. Use Less X's"

Comment

If a musty smell, it is the mold spores.

If you notice deterioration on the edges of pages that could include thinning spots and holes, this is from insect that have been feeding on the acid based paper.

You either have an allergy to the mold spores or the feces of the insects that were attacking the yellowing acid based paper.
                “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

I wonder if book decay
                  is worse than tooth decay??
                  Human beings are the only creatures who are able to behave irrationally in the name of reason.

Comment

Originally posted by KICK View Post
                    I wonder if book decay
                    is worse than tooth decay??
                    Depends on your preferences
                    "Keep Calm. Use Less X's"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X