This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bible

I am almost positive that this new thread: The BIBLE is in the wrong Forum.

I suppose it should in RELIGION. But, I can't find that category.

Please move it to the appropriate Forum.

If you love the English language you are committing an unforgivable sin in not studying the Bible for the awesome beauty of its poetic wording......breathtaking compilation of words that wallow in totally unbelievable nonsense.

I chanced upon the excerpt: "I am the Resurrection and the Life" saith the Lord. "He that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live; and whosoever liveth and believeth in me, shall never die."

For the first time, I was struck by the awesome beauty of the construction in conveying the thought. Which is, obviously, unbelievable crap.

This fascinated me. So, I did a little research and found the "Skeptic's Annotated Bible". And, I can't tear myself away from the SHEER POETRY of the language ......and the thoughts which are UNBELIEVABLE BULLSHIT".

Google "Skeptic's Annotated Bible". Pick Genesis 1. See if you will share my fascination how you can appreciate the beauty of the wording, construction.....and the annotated phrase by phrase analysis which shows the sheer ridiculousness and impossibility of its content.

Your thoughts.

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
    I am almost positive that this new thread: The BIBLE is in the wrong Forum.

I suppose it should in RELIGION. But, I can't find that category.

Please move it to the appropriate Forum.

If you love the English language you are committing an unforgivable sin in not studying the Bible for the awesome beauty of its poetic wording......breathtaking compilation of words that wallow in totally unbelievable nonsense.

I chanced upon the excerpt: "I am the Resurrection and the Life" saith the Lord. "He that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live; and whosoever liveth and believeth in me, shall never die."

For the first time, I was struck by the awesome beauty of the construction in conveying the thought. Which is, obviously, unbelievable crap.

This fascinated me. So, I did a little research and found the "Skeptic's Annotated Bible". And, I can't tear myself away from the SHEER POETRY of the language ......and the thoughts which are UNBELIEVABLE BULLSHIT".

Google "Skeptic's Annotated Bible". Pick Genesis 1. See if you will share my fascination how you can appreciate the beauty of the wording, construction.....and the annotated phrase by phrase analysis which shows the sheer ridiculousness and impossibility of its content.

Your thoughts.
    I take it that you are referring to The Authorized Version ( in U.S. "The King James Bible")? It is,of course, Jacobean or Shakespearean English (1611): and pure poetry.

As to the subject matter; whether you believe it to be "UNBELIEVABLE BULLSHIT" or not depends upon your faith- or lack of it.

How does John 15:13 strike you ? It is inscribed upon many war memorials:

GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS,
    THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS
    "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
    Samuel Johnson.

Comment

I like this one:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
      1.1 John.
      Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
        I take it that you are referring to The Authorized Version ( in U.S. "The King James Bible")? It is,of course, Jacobean or Shakespearean English (1611): and pure poetry.

As to the subject matter; whether you believe it to be "UNBELIEVABLE BULLSHIT" or not depends upon your faith- or lack of it.

How does John 15:13 strike you ? It is inscribed upon many war memorials:

GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS,
        THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS
        In the "Skeptic's Annotated Bible" one encounters passages in the BIBLE that are sheer nonsense:

In Genesis, the earth is created (1:1) before light (1:3), sun and stars (1:16); birds and whales (1:21) before reptiles and insects (1:24); and flowering plants (1:11) before any animals (1:20). The order of events known from science is in each case just the opposite.

(1:3-5, 14-19) "Let there be light"
        God creates light and separates light from darkness, and day from night, on the first day. Yet he didn't make the light producing objects (the sun and the stars) until the fourth day (1:14-19). And how could there be "the evening and the morning" on the first day if there was no sun to mark them?

HOWEVER:

Doubtlessly, not every phrase, sentence, or....maybe.....even every paragraph are splendidly crafted words, and construction that are wrapped around an illogical or impossible notion.

Certainly, your "War Memorial Quote" is an obvious example of that.

The capture of the lofty sentiment incomparable in its simplicity and boundless emotional depth is truly AWESOME !!!
        Last edited by Raptor; 13 Dec 12, 08:43.

Comment

Your thoughts.
          Is this a joke? If not, am I allowed to say this is extremely offensive?

Well, I guess as long as you're making fun and saying nasty things about Christians you'll be fine.

What's really hilarious is that if someone like Pirateship started a thread describing why atheism makes no sense, you'd mark it down as a troll thread. If you are really this angry at religion, I'm sure you can find a better way of expressing yourself than typing angrily on a keyboard and insulting people you will never meet.

I only say this because there are plenty of atheists, agnostics, etc. on this forum who are very respectful in debate and whom I admire greatly. But this sort of junk is just designed to make people mad and make yourself feel better.
          "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

"The Englishman, turning to the Good Book for solace, is shocked to find that the first name in it is that of a Scot, James I (VI) who authorised its translation."

I tend to prefer the accessibility of the Good News over the poetry of the A.V., but I and II Maccabees (Apocrypha) got me through a pretty rough time.

While interpretations of your bullsh*t have been responsible for some of the bloodiest wars in History, the bullsh*t itself has brought comfort and given strength to untold millions, and much that's good in the world has its origin in people who were inspired by what they read among that bulls*t to stand up and make a difference, often in the face of torture and death.

If you don't have faith, that's your affair - but mocking genuine faith is a very stupid thing to do.
            Last edited by the ace; 13 Dec 12, 10:31.
            Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by Wellington95 View Post

Well, I guess as long as you're making fun and saying nasty things about Christians you'll be fine.

What's really hilarious is that if someone like Pirateship started a thread describing why atheism makes no sense, you'd mark it down as a troll thread. If you are really this angry at religion, I'm sure you can find a better way of expressing yourself than typing angrily on a keyboard and insulting people you will never meet.

I only say this because there are plenty of atheists, agnostics, etc. on this forum who are very respectful in debate and whom I admire greatly. But this sort of junk is just designed to make people mad and make yourself feel better.
              This is not a joke. And, as far as I'm concerned, you can be offensive as you want.

And, while it is true that LIEberrhoids were/are very successful in concocting a Nationwide PC whereby Christianity is attacked with impunity while MuslimArsekissing is de rigueur, the intention of my thread is clearly spelled out: appreciation and praise for the wondrous verbiage, and derision for abject nonsense, in the BIBLE.......which, in the Religious sense, IMO, is regurgitated mythology at best.

As to Agnosticism: To me, Agnosticism makes a helluva lot more sense than nonsensical mythology that contradicts REALITY: people sashaying about after death, walking on water, virgin that by definition is not a virgin .....well, go thru even a couple of pages of the "Skeptic's Annotated Bible" to decide, thru one's religious haze, how realistic logic is glaringly omitted in most of the sentences, and impossible situations are treated as "miracles".

Actually, I may be considered as an Atheist or, Agnostic. I don't give those appellations much thought. I may even be neither. IMO, IF "GOD" exists, then "GOD" is the Sum Total of All the Laws of the Universe.

This happens to be Spinoza's or Einstein's "GOD". I came to that conclusion when I was around 9 years old after months of sleepless nights without ever having heard of Spinoza or Einstein (in relation to Religion).

I realized that the statistical chances of positive results from prayers to the God of the Organized Religions is the same as praying to the nearest rock in your garden. It's like praying to the lightening so it won't strike you.

We'll all become fertilizer not unlike the lowly cockroach snuffling around hither and yon.

BTW, according to the Greatest Minds in the History of Mankind, it is IMPOSSIBLE to prove the existence or nonexistence of "GOD". Check this out by contacting the chairmen of any reputable (non-Religious, and even some Religious) Universities in the World.

Bottom line: To me the Religious aspect of the BIBLE should be TOTALLY DISCARDED in this thread.

To me, the ADMIRATION of the ABSOLUTELY MAGNIFICENT LANGUAGE should be the focus of our undivided attention.

Comment

This is not a joke. And, as far as I'm concerned, you can be offensive as you want.
                Actually you can't:

From the Forum Rules:

"PROFANITY
                Excessive profanity, or profanity which is directed at another user, will not be tolerated.

DISORDERLY CONDUCT
                Behaviour which is either disruptive or which demonstrates a lack of respect for our community as a whole or a particular Member or group of Members is not acceptable and, if necessary, action will be taken to stop this. In addition, potentially libelous comments against any other person or organisation will be removed.

RESPECT
                This is a site which enjoys the company of members from all over the world. While healthy debate is encouraged, please have the courtesy to respect the views of others. Please do not use obscene or offensive language, or engage in personal attacks or "flaming" of other members. This will not be tolerated."

Now I'm no mod and I may be being silly, but there IS in fact a limit to the offense and disrespect one can dish out on this forum. That's all I have to say.

Have a nice life
                "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

I didn't see one time that he even mentioned Christians.

why atheism makes no sense
                  No more or less than other believes. They are all faith based and how do you prove ones faith as being the one and only. You/We cannot.
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Actually you can't:

From the Forum Rules:

"PROFANITY
                    Excessive profanity, or profanity which is directed at another user, will not be tolerated.

DISORDERLY CONDUCT
                    Behaviour which is either disruptive or which demonstrates a lack of respect for our community as a whole or a particular Member or group of Members is not acceptable and, if necessary, action will be taken to stop this. In addition, potentially libelous comments against any other person or organisation will be removed.

RESPECT
                    This is a site which enjoys the company of members from all over the world. While healthy debate is encouraged, please have the courtesy to respect the views of others. Please do not use obscene or offensive language, or engage in personal attacks or "flaming" of other members. This will not be tolerated."

Now I'm no mod and I may be being silly, but there IS in fact a limit to the offense and disrespect one can dish out on this forum. That's all I have to say.

Have a nice life
                    You referred to my statement: (Originally Posted by Raptor View Post)
                    "This is not a joke. And, as far as I'm concerned, you (you being Wellington) can be offensive as you want."

Your response deliberately twisted my comment when you stated, in your response: "YOU" meaning ME can't.......and the omitted, but unmistakably implied 'be offensive'.

You then proceed to recite to me the Rules of The Forum .......clearly threatening me with inappropriate behaviour, or possible inappropriate behaviour.

Well, let me make it clear to YOU: I don't give a damn about what YOU consider offensive or inoffensive.

And, to make that EVEN MORE CLEAR:A person has the perfect right, indeed the DUTY, to proclaim loudly and clearly, that idiotic statements must be DECLARED AS SUCH when they have the same clarity of idiocy as proclaiming that "A not= A", or the "DEAD gamboling around", etc., whether, in a "religious context" or not .

So, you can take your paranoid sensitivities and stick them in your left nostril, or another area where the sun don't shine.

Advice: don't read my thread if you happen to be a butthole, and insist on behaving as one.
                    Last edited by Raptor; 13 Dec 12, 12:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                      I like this one:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

1.1 John.
                      Yea. I like that one too. I'm feeling little too weak in chapter & verse right now to contribute to this thread. Although, when I first started reading it, I thought we were going to get a lesson on the bible in the original Greek wording.

I used to steal some of my favorite bible soundbites for papers in college. Since most of the papers were supposed to be in a two-sided argumentative style, a good bible soundbite would ad an extra level of attack and tilt the reader toward the side I was going to come out and support in the conclusion of the paper anyway.
                      Last edited by Cicero; 13 Dec 12, 12:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Cicero View Post
                        Yea. I like that one too. I'm feeling little too weak in chapter & verse right now to contribute to this thread. Although, when I first started reading it, I thought we were going to get a lesson on the bible in the original Greek wording.

I used to steal some of my favorite bible soundbites for papers in college. Since most of the papers were supposed to be in a two-sided argumentative style, a good bible soundbite would ad an extra level of attack and tilt the reader toward the side I was going to come out and support in the conclusion of the paper anyway.
                        Luke: In the beginning was the word and the etc etc. But the Greek says: In the beginning there was an idea and that idea was about God and God was an idea.... Obviously, the translators of the King James version could write beautiful whatchamacallit.

Comment

Luke: In the beginning was the word and the etc etc. But the Greek says: In the beginning there was an idea and that idea was about God and God was an idea.... Obviously, the translators of the King James version could write beautiful whatchamacallit.
                          Did you attend a divinity school or major in religious studies?

Comment

Originally posted by Cicero View Post
                            Did you attend a divinity school or major in religious studies?
                            Nope. Mathematician.

Also, M.A. In Russian Lit. Hobby.

Read at least 200 books on World War II: Europe and Pacific.

This Forum has a helluva fine bunch of experts in this area.

Comment

Moved to the Barracks. And no, you cannot be "as offensive as you want."
                              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X