Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did we survive?

"Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Its a miracle, ain't it?

If this was in Politics Central, you know the revisionists would come up with all sorts of statistics to "prove" none of us did, in fact, survive. And even if we did, we shouldn't have.

Meanwhile, Extreme Sports are more popular than ever...

IMHO, this kind of stuff is why so many people fantasize about living in a post-apocalyptic, Mad Max sort of world.
    Modern society just sucks.

Comment

Our parents poured a little iodine on the wound, slapped a band-aid on it, and told us go back outside.
      Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

I got my first 22 rifle for Christmas when I was 10 years old.
        Many many times I took my rifle and went to the woods.
        When I would tell my Mom or Dad where I was going they always said the same thing.."Be carefull, and be home for supper."
        Sometimes one or two of my buddies and I would ride our bicycles for miles on one lane gravel backroads all day long.
        Kids today dont know what freedom is.
        It's sad!!!

John
        The most visable part of a persons education is their parents example !

Christianity is made far too complicated by far too many denominations.
        It's truly a simple concept.
        Dont take my word for it---Read the Book of Romans!

Comment

Originally posted by LeanotLee View Post
          I got my first 22 rifle for Christmas when I was 10 years old.
          Many many times I took my rifle and went to the woods.
          When I would tell my Mom or Dad where I was going they always said the same thing.."Be carefull, and be home for supper."
          Sometimes one or two of my buddies and I would ride our bicycles for miles on one lane gravel backroads all day long.
          Kids today dont know what freedom is.
          It's sad!!!

John
          Recently I sold my old air rifle, I'd had it many years - just a pellet gun mind- to a bloke and his son - son's about early teens I think. I made the deal after a scout meet - the father's head scout. Every kid there was almost in awe of this pea-shooter - just a pellet gun. When I was their age I was down the ranges or knocking down cans in our orchard, and something like air rifle was not in itself alien or amazing. In my opinion these kids were missing out on things I took for granted at their age, and I wonder whether that's the case with other areas of growing up, like the bike rides you mention - even on my growing up in the nineties and early 2000s I'd go on bike rides or long treks and such (depending where though, with an adult)
          ------
          'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

As a young teen I would tell my mother that I was going down to the boat club. There I had free usage of a heavy old work skiff. I would head up river to the end of the Island and drift back down. I took it in my head to ram a buoy made out of 1/2 in steel. Full speed ahead, bam. Put a good dent in it.

I don't swim.

Mom let me live and be about as free as one can be. Thanks Mom. You were great.

Comment

Hey! That's me at the end with my thumb's up.

Comment

Obviously 'we' were made of stronger stuff than the overprotected, over nourished, housebound, television/computer watching, obese, underexposed, hyper allergic, soft, weak, formula fed, cosseted, underachieving, everybody wins, entitled children of today. (Did I miss any appellations?)
                ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
                  Obviously 'we' were made of stronger stuff than the overprotected, over nourished, housebound, television/computer watching, obese, underexposed, hyper allergic, soft, weak, formula fed, cosseted, underachieving, everybody wins, entitled children of today. (Did I miss any appellations?)
                  I don't see any glaring omissions. Though I think the blame should be applied to the people who made them that way.....................their parents!

Regards,
                  Dennis
                  If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                    I don't see any glaring omissions. Though I think the blame should be applied to the people who made them that way.....................their parents!

Regards,
                    Dennis

That would be…………us?
                    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Tsar View Post
                      That would be…………us?
                      YEP! Some were in the middle is the right answer. Over control and protection is not the answer. Of course an I don't give a damn pov is the worst choice.

Comment

We certainly get some of the blame. We did make sure ours weren't dependent on technology for entertainment though, so I guess I'll claim a point for that. Outside play was always first followed closely by games played with other actual humans.

Regards,
                        Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                          We certainly get some of the blame. We did make sure ours weren't dependent on technology for entertainment though, so I guess I'll claim a point for that. Outside play was always first followed closely by games played with other actual humans.

Regards,
                          Dennis
                          Only going from my two grand kids, and they are grand, they are totally wired in with iPads, computer games ect. Still their favorite past time is going outside and playing with their friends. Today, pretty close to the perfect mix. Of course, my grand kids are perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                            Only going from my two grand kids, and they are grand, they are totally wired in with iPads, computer games ect. Still their favorite past time is going outside and playing with their friends. Today, pretty close to the perfect mix. Of course, my grand kids are perfect.
                            Well, with your two and my one we now have 3 perfect children accounted for. The young man plays outside first as well. His parents are damn near as smart as us!

Regards,
                            Dennis

Comment

What annoys me is the, 'Reason,' - the fear of predatory paedophiles.

Then, as now, most abused children are the victims of adults they should be able to trust, not strangers, but the minor (if real) danger from strangers has been exaggerated out of all proportion.

My parents simply told me, 'Never go with strangers,' and left it at that.
                              Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X