Push or Pull?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push or Pull?

You're attempting to find an open parking spot in a crowded lot.

You find only a single one open, which has cars parked on either side and a brick wall as a backstop.

Do you back into the spot, or pull in?

Back In
    25.00%
    Pull In
    75.00%
    ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Why would you back in?
    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Will I need to leave quickly? I mean, am I pulling a bank job or something similar?

Comment

Originally posted by llkinak View Post
        Will I need to leave quickly? I mean, am I pulling a bank job or something similar?
        You're at a bank, but you're not knocking it over.
        ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

Back in, it'll be easier to leave again, as it's easier to reverse around stationary objects (the bush, the parked cars) than into the path of moving objects (other cars cruising the car-park for places).
          ------
          'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post
            You're at a bank, but you're not knocking it over.
            Damn, I was hopng it was a bank job. Well, I guess it all depends on the circumstances. I don't like turning my back on a building I can't see into, like the picture, so I'd probably pull in.

Comment

Just to be clear here, the question is exactly as it's posted; there's no elaborate double bluff. I just found myself backing into a spot the other day, like I do most of the time, and realized it was like second nature to me. Nine times out of ten, I'll back into a spot, and I only pull into a spot when I'm in a hurry. Is this some sort of "always sit facing the door" nonsense that I absorbed somewhere, am I that paranoid, or am I just thinking that far ahead? I'm just collecting opinions on what to tell the nurse when I'm admitted. My father, grandfather, and two uncles drove for a living though. I'm thinking that's it.

Comment

It breaks down to this: would you rather have an easier time getting in or getting out. Since getting in might be a time-concerning affair (while getting out, for me at least, often isn't), I tend to choose to pull in.
                "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

You could always perfect your parallel parking skills.

One of the most popular world records over recent years has been the hotly contested tightest parallel parking title. The record has changed hands five times in the past two years, with the video of German driving ace Ronny Wechselberger 's successful attempt last year becoming something of an internet sensation with viewing figures hitting the millions.
                  When Patrik Folco neatly slid his way into a gap measuring just 22 cm (8.66 in) longer than the car he was driving last month it set a benchmark that looked unlikely to be broken. However, the record has indeed once again been smashed , this time by Chinese master wheelman Han Yue. Han last week managed to shave off an incredible 7cm from the record, drifting into a space of just 15 cm (5.91 in) longer than his vehicle during an attempt at the launch in Beijing of a new special edition of the Mini called The Chinese Job.

But how on earth could he get out?

Philip
                  "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

I back in whenever possible...makes it so much easier to see what's coming your way when you leave.

John
                    The most visable part of a persons education is their parents example !

Christianity is made far too complicated by far too many denominations.
                    It's truly a simple concept.
                    Dont take my word for it---Read the Book of Romans!

Comment

1. If there are vehicles waiting behind me I pull in.
                      2. If not I look for a one-sider and back in.
                      3. Whenever possible however, I go for a pull through even if I have to walk a little farther.
                      Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Several of the advanced driving classes I have taken (for a chuffers license, delivery driver, and the post office) all say the same thing…don’t back up, but if you have to back in and pull out.
                        Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

It all depends on how much room I have to get out. Given a small drive through with the Ram I would probably pull in, in the Child Bride's Subaru backing up is the best choice in a tight spot. Vote for pull in since I am most frequently in the truck.

Regards,
                          Dennis
                          If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

military vs civilian style of parking

In the parking space in front of the barracks where I come for work,
                            all military personnel has parked their private back in, ready to move out at a moment's notice;
                            invariably it is cars driven by civilian personnel that are parked front in.
                            BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Backing in makes it much easier to pull out. However, if the lot is crowded, you run the risk of someone pulling in behind you before you have the chance to back in.
                              “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X