Decorating a Studio Apartment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decorating a Studio Apartment

I know many who have been forced from a big home...into a small apt, or worse...a studio apt. My friends have been discussing ways to make best use of limited space in a studio apt.

My biggest concern would be cooking in the same room as you'd sleep. Everything you own will smell like what you've been cooking. I would probably go with a room divider or floor to ceiling curtain.

This is a typical studio apt, one room with a kitchen to the side and a toilet/shower bath.

Below are some pics of good ones. Feel free to offer suggestions...

Last edited by Persephone; 10 Nov 12, 15:15.
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Love the ceiling Fan in pic #1!
    One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
    Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

I very recently rented an apartment and was also put off the idea of a studio apartment because of the idea of cooking and sleeping in the same room, so rented an apartment with separate bedroom, lounge and kitchen - but it's a cheap area so I can get away with this.
      Some good pics of what you can do with a small, single space - I'd definitely want some kind of room divider to put the kitchen area out of mind - otherwise I'd feel the need to wash dishes whilst trying to write and I'd never get the writing done.
      ------
      'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Chukka View Post
        Love the ceiling Fan in pic #1!
        I was thinking the same thing!
        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Geez...of all the pics posted, you guys like the empty room with a ceiling fan!

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

It is a cool fan
            ------
            'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

If you have a good exhaust fan over the cooking stove, that will solve much of the problem of cooking odors.

Why pay for all of that extra space if you are single and don't need all of the room.
              “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Big extractor fan over cooker and a selection of airfresheners.
                "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                  Geez...of all the pics posted, you guys like the empty room with a ceiling fan!
                  Operative word. I also like the fan. But the room's missing a pool table which can double as a bed. And a bar. And a drain in the middle of the floor.
                  ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post
                    Operative word. I also like the fan. But the room's missing a pool table which can double as a bed. And a bar. And a drain in the middle of the floor.
                    Ryan...excellent idea...for a garage.

Comment

Off topic...

Ryan,

I recall you mentioning you now work swing shift and needed a good way to darken your windows during the day. Well...they now have Window Blackout Kits! Check it out...

http://www.bedroomblackout.com/faq/blackout-windows/

It's supposed to be able to block out 100% of the sun's rays coming thru your window.

Comment

Those photos are pretty cool.

When I first started working I lived in a studio apartment..and still have the same set up in my living room.

____chair__
                        |__Table__ |
                        __ ......... __
                        | | ......... | |
                        | | ..........| |<--couches
                        |_|......... |_|
                        Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. Laurence J. Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Crash View Post
                          Those photos are pretty cool.

When I first started working I lived in a studio apartment..and still have the same set up in my living room.

____chair__
                          |__Table__ |
                          __ ......... __
                          | | ......... | |
                          | | ..........| |<--couches
                          |_|......... |_|

Did you sleep on the couch?

Comment

Where's the door, Crash?
                            ------

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                              Did you sleep on the couch?
                              Ya...back then it was a fold out futon.

When I only had one I put it in front of the table so that the back of the folded futon backed onto the table. Mounted the tv a bit high.

I've always preferred that so I could work, watch tv, and still look...er talk...to the woman. Did that back then and still do that today. Back then my "desk" doubled as our dinner table.

My style is like the 3rd photo down, however, I'd switch the tv to the other side....you'd break a neck the way it's set up.

I'm use to living out of small places! Live out of a hotel room or company condos for a lot of the year...

About 5 years ago we went through our house and everything that hadn't been touched in 2 years went to Goodwill. Think it was over 40 large bags. Then we made a rule...if something comes in the house something has to leave. I know that is not downsizing like you mean but it's healthy!!

NO CHACHKA's!

I guess it all depends on the room as to what would work best.
                              #occupyarmchairgeneral.
                              Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true. Demosthenes.
                              Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. Laurence J. Peter

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X