Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emergency & Disaster Preparedness, etc.; C.E.R.T.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency & Disaster Preparedness, etc.; C.E.R.T.

C.E.R.T. - Community Emergency Response Team

'Tropical storm' Sandy should be a wake-up call to many, regarding what to expect from disasters/emergencies; natural or human-caused. Personal responsibility in having self and family stocked and prepared can not be over-emphasized. Being ready is not that difficult, nor expensive, and some of the best "insurance" one can have.

Recently I went through a refresher course on CERT in order to get the 'local flavor' having moved over 100 miles from where I lived when I first did this training over six years ago. Also wanted to make better connections with the local admin.

CERT is a nationwide program and likely you may have such through your city or county 'Emergency Management' dept., or local Firefighters or Sheriffs office. The concept is that in a large emergency/disaster the first responders will be overwhelmed and doing 'triage' of needs, leaving neighborhoods on their own, for anywhere from hours to days (or even weeks). CERT attempts to fill that gap by having local citizens trained in emergency methods and procedures to care for themselves and assist their neighbors until more structured help can arrive.

The course is nominally priced (cover cost of manuals and some basic kit), and usually one evening a week for a few hours over span of several weeks (5-7). You learn about home preparedness; food,water, medical supplies, etc; also disaster response organization, light search and rescue techniques, and disaster first aid (when getting injured to hospital might be days or more away).

One is not obligated to "join something", and can take the course just for personal knowledge, or as a step to being part of the response team if they wish. I recommend it just for the basic knowledge and skills if nothing more.

The most extensive and informative website, loaded with much information is the Los Angeles one;
    http://www.cert-la.com/index.shtml
    Here's their sub-page with numerous articles/links on preparedness and safety;
    http://www.cert-la.com/education/preparedness.htm

My local CERT's website;
    http://www.whatcomcert.org/index.html
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz

In the case of Sandy, there was advance notice/warning of a specific event; i.e. time to prepare for that. Here in PNW, one of our high probability disasters is a major earthquake, which so far there is no advance warning of, they just suddenly hit you

Are You Prepared? Here Are the Five Things You Need to Survive a Natural Disaster

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/are-...ural-disaster/

And;
    http://www.ready.gov/
    Last edited by G David Bock; 05 Nov 12, 10:25.

Comment

I think this thread is a great idea. My wife happens to be on the CERT team for the Mat Su Borough, which is sort of like the Alaskan equivalent of a county. The training is nothing earth shattering, no goat lab or anything like that, but it is good, useful information that can help people to survive and help out in the event of a disaster. It also gets people used to working together as a unit if an emergency happens so they're not so far behind the power curve, and the skills they learn are useful indeed. I believe it to be a worth while program.

Comment

Now if you're the Prez, they just wisk ya' to Mt. Weather;
        http://specials.msn.com/msnvideo/vid...om=en-us_msnhp

Comment

Originally posted by llkinak View Post
          I think this thread is a great idea.
          Agreed, I just wish we had a better place for it than the Politics Board.

Comment

Manville, NJ has a CERT team. And in true fashion, their headquarters is in the Lost Valley section of Manville. A major flood zone. So, the CERT headquarters will be the first thing evacuated in the next flood.
            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
              Agreed, I just wish we had a better place for it than the Politics Board.

Good point. A lot of people won't go into Politics Central because of all the and .

Let's try the Barracks for a while.
              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
                Good point. A lot of people won't go into Politics Central because of all the and .

Let's try the Barracks for a while.
                Works for me. I started in 'Politics' because of all the Sandy dialogue.

Comment

I think this thread is a great idea. My wife happens to be on the CERT team for the Mat Su Borough, which is sort of like the Alaskan equivalent of a county. The training is nothing earth shattering, no goat lab or anything like that, but it is good, useful information that can help people to survive and help out in the event of a disaster. It also gets people used to working together as a unit if an emergency happens so they're not so far behind the power curve, and the skills they learn are useful indeed. I believe it to be a worth while program.
                  Glad to hear your wife (and family, indirect) are involved. While the training and information is fairly 'basic', I've noticed it is sometimes rather "new" for many going through the course. Biggest value is getting a gauge on local emergency resources and how pressed they may be in a disaster.

While it's reasonable to expect some level of 'guvmint' response, it's realistic to plan for the likely delay and limited nature of that response. The more you and your neighbors(hood) can fend for yourselves, the more that can be used for those harder hit.

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                    Biggest value is getting a gauge on local emergency resources and how pressed they may be in a disaster.

While it's reasonable to expect some level of 'guvmint' response, it's realistic to plan for the likely delay and limited nature of that response. The more you and your neighbors(hood) can fend for yourselves, the more that can be used for those harder hit.
                    Agree 100%. Both my wife and I work for the 'guvmint' at one level or another. (She makes maps in the GIS section, most folks know what I do) So both of us will be involved in emergency response for the commmunity. We think it's important for folks to be as self sufficient as possible, especially in the event of a natural disaster, which for us would probably be an earthquake. (Alaska is prime earthquake territory) If a very big quake happens there simply won't be enought responders to get to everyone in a timely manner. It will only be worse in the winter, and many people don't seem to understand how long it might take to get services back on line.

People need food, water, clothing, first aid, shelter, and a heat source for themselves, their family and their pets for a week at least. Reliable communications other than cell or land line phones would be desireable as well. Rescue skills to help neighbors would obviously be a plus...the list just goes on. Raising awareness of this is important, it could save many lives. Again, great choice for a thread.

Comment

People need food, water, clothing, first aid, shelter, and a heat source for themselves, their family and their pets for a week at least. Reliable communications other than cell or land line phones would be desireable as well. Rescue skills to help neighbors would obviously be a plus...the list just goes on. Raising awareness of this is important, it could save many lives. Again, great choice for a thread.
                      IIRC cell towers only have a few days of life on back up power before they go down. Before cell phones got cheap, we used a pair of inexpensive hand held radios for free local communications. I still have a set that I keep (batteries removed!) for emergencies. Depending on your local situation, that could be a decent investment, under $50. Some models also can monitor Nat'l Weather Service frequencies for severe weather alerts.
                      Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Found a meeting in my area this Saturday.
                        I'll be there if I can find a ride, car crapped out on me again.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                          Found a meeting in my area this Saturday.
                          I'll be there if I can find a ride, car crapped out on me again.
                          Sorry about the car, but hope you can make it. I think you'll find it worthwhile.

Comment

Agree 100%. Both my wife and I work for the 'guvmint' at one level or another. (She makes maps in the GIS section, most folks know what I do) So both of us will be involved in emergency response for the commmunity. We think it's important for folks to be as self sufficient as possible, especially in the event of a natural disaster, which for us would probably be an earthquake. (Alaska is prime earthquake territory) If a very big quake happens there simply won't be enought responders to get to everyone in a timely manner. It will only be worse in the winter, and many people don't seem to understand how long it might take to get services back on line.

IIRC, many cell towers went out after Sandy stuck. Fortunately some working payphones still around. One other thing oft recommended is to have some family or friends out of the area ~ across the country ~ whom you contact to check in with and let know how things are. Especially helpful if you have a spouse, kids, parents, etc. all within the affected area but not together in one place when stuff hits the fan.

Another recommendation is to make sure important papers and documents, like insurance policies, deeds, birth certificates, contact information, financial records, etc. are in a water proof and fireproof container. Ideally you have one such safely stashed and another more portable 'copy' to take with if you have to evacuate.
                            Last edited by G David Bock; 07 Nov 12, 22:03. Reason: tightening the sheets

Comment

Only Big Government can save you from big storms, unless it shuts down due to bad weather

http://www.humanevents.com/2012/11/0...o-bad-weather/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X