Should people with ADHD be allowed in the US military

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should people with ADHD be allowed in the US military

Hi guys I am i am new here and I would like to ask your opinions.

I was part of Xavier University ROTC and wsa looking to be contracted. I had passed the PT tests and was looking to get contracted sophmore year. However my cadre found out that I take ADHD med's and told me that they recommend that I drop ROTC due to the next to nothing chance that I can get contracted in due to all of the cutbacks to the military. I was wondering what i should do. I have wanted to join the Army almost all of my life and It hurts that I won't be able to join even though i can get of my ADD med's. So i was wondering what is your opinion of people with ADD meds in the Military

First I'd stay in ROTC till they kicked you out. I was dropped from ROTC due to a bad back, but your situation is very different.

Second I am not medically qualified to render an opinion on ADHD in regards to fitness to be in the military. Best thing I can suggest is to do some research. For instance call and talk to the OIC of the ROTC program at another school. Don't give him your name, but just call and tell him that you are thinking about taking ROTC, but your heard X and wanted to know what the regs are; etc.

Good luck!
    Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Louisiana funds the college tuition of all National Guard members. What does Ohio do for its National Guard? You still may be able to get a commission in the National Guard. I would stay until they kick you out! National Guard officers can go 'active' and serve with the Regulars.

You obviously need more information!

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Yes. For several reasons, not the least of which is that in the case of a draft (which will never happen in the foreseeable future) White kids are far more likely to be diagnosed with ADHD before being called up for service than any other group. In principle, it's racist, but only in principle because as I said, there will be no draft in the foreseeable future. Absent that, it's reverse racism. Let the damn kids in. Guns and Blowing **** up is a great way to get a kids attention.

Comment

From what I've heard, ADHD is not something you want to admit at MEPS. I don't believe the doctors in the Army will prescribe medication for ADD/ADHD. I've met guys who have it and they simply stopped taking meds for it in order to be able to join. Any civilian medications aren't allowed into basic, until you get a prescription from a doctor saying you can take a specific medication and I don't believe medication for that kind of problem is prescribed (anyone know any exceptions to this?)
          The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

I wish I knew that before. I haven't joined the NG yet. Against my parents wishes I joined ROTC I am a freshmen.

Comment

I know people with ADD in the Army, but they aren't deployable. Honestly, I would get off the meds, learn to spell, and get waivers if needed. Your cadre isn't wrong though either. We're booting people left and right for not meeting standards because of the draw down and impending budget cuts, so you're going to have to step up your game and show why you should be allowed to join.

Comment

Some of the most successful generals in history, IMO, suffered from ADD/ADHD...consider: Patton, Custer, Ceasar, Marcus Antonius, Kitchener, Harry Lee, Cromwell, the list goes on. It really wasn't until recently that ADD/ADHD was even diagnosable. Those people who exhibited symptoms 'back in the day' were attributed to having "foresight', being 'enlightened' or in extreme cases 'posessed by a benificent spirit'. Of course, a lot of successful people were successful because they 'persevered' (i.e. had Asberger's Syndrome) ...go figure.
                Why don't you use this argument in case the ROTC board decides that you haven't got what it takes?
                ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

ADD has to be the most mis-diagnosed 'problem" in history. IMHO, its mainly a ploy to sell more lucrative pills.
                  Fight this. I'm not the only one that thinks this way.

Comment

I forgot to mention that I have ADD. I don't take medicine and I was enlisted with no problems.

Pruitt
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I have Aspergers, OCD, Bipolar(just found out today for sure) I have been hyper since birth, and I made it. Hell, if all those had it, I know I was okay.
                      This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

ya.... my second wife said I needed to go to the doctor because I had ADD.............simply because I didn't worship her ass.........

Comment

Well guys I appealed and I am out until I can get off my med's until I am able to be able to preform without it. I will have to say that Thank you for the advice guys I appreciated the help, I have to say that this actually does hurt. It has been my dream since 5 to join the Army

Comment

What primitive thinking this is on the part of the Armed Services. Sorry for you Lion hearti.
                            "A common thug can kill someone, but it takes the talents of an intelligence service to make a murder appear to be a suicide or accident death." -- James Angleton, CIA, Chief of Counterintelligence.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefred View Post
                              What primitive thinking this is on the part of the Armed Services. Sorry for you Lion hearti.
                              Not primitive at all: if a person diagnosed with ADHD/ADD cannot function without medication, then he has to be considered unfit for military service, where he may find himself deployed to an area without a 24 hr CVS. He has to be able to prove that he can function, under stress, and to a high level, without medication, and then the ruling can be appealed.
                              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X