Buying a Used Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Used Car

I am looking for another car to buy and would like any tips on what to look for in buying a used vehicle. Anyone got any advice they would like to share?
    “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
    ― Groucho Marx

My ex-Mother-in-Law is about to get her car taken away. It is a Nissan Altima with only 29K miles on it. The Brother-in-Law is dieing for me to take a look at it! He sells me all my cars.

It boils down to what you want! What are your needs?

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
      I am looking for another car to buy and would like any tips on what to look for in buying a used vehicle. Anyone got any advice they would like to share?
      Avoid makes that did not sell well, because there will be limited aftermarket parts and sometimes even dealer parts.

Do a carfax check to ensure that there has never been a major collision. Any claim report to the insurance company should show up on the carfax report.

If you are buying from an individual off a site like Craigslists or similar, do not carry the cash and bring back-up.
      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

I don't buy used but have friends that do and get great cars for much less. It depends on many factors. If you can afford it buy something with less then 20k. A friend told me it is almost impossible for a idiot to f-up a car with low mileage.
        My worst jump story:
        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
        No lie.

~
        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

I am looking for a vehicle with good gas mileage, can take the mountains well and a 4 wheel drive. The one I am looking at is a 1998 GMC Jimmy with 67000 miles on it. I checked carfax and it has had only one owner and no accidents.
          “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
          ― Groucho Marx

Comment

I am looking for a vehicle with good gas mileage, can take the mountains well and a 4 wheel drive. The one I am looking at is a 1998 GMC Jimmy with 67000 miles on it. I checked carfax and it has had only one owner and no accidents.
            Might be a good deal but who put those miles on it? Lot of age there.
            My worst jump story:
            No lie.

~
            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

I've only bought one new vehicle and that was in 1977. I'll always buy a previously owned vehicle. Lots more bang for the buck.
              ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
              IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
                I've only bought one new vehicle and that was in 1977. I'll always buy a previously owned vehicle. Lots more bang for the buck.
                A lot more. I've had over 40 perhaps 50 cars in my life. IIRC 4 were new. I've bought used, new the ower or one, the car was close to ten years old and I put just shy of 200K on it for the cost of 3.800 DM's at the time. Still, a new one is always nice, if you don't mind tossing money away.
                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I always buy used because I can't afford to buy new.
                  ― Groucho Marx

Comment

I've always believed that buying new when it comes to cars makes no economic sense since new cars lose much of their value as soon as they are bought, whereas used cars can often actually increase in value if they are well cared for.

However, I am now in conflict with my wife and Number One Son who insist that my view represents a false economy since used cars cost more to maintain and burn more gas.

They are constantly proving this to me by making expensive repairs to the used car I insisted on buying Number One Son instead of the new car he and my wife preferred.

Oh, boy!

Philip
                    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

It really all boils down to what you need and or want. Sorry to say, but I am 100% sold on the Japanese lines. Toyota and Honda make a great, long lasting vehicle (granted they are taken care of). I have an 01' Isuzu Rodeo that I've had for three years now and it has been great.
                      Like has been said already, get a Carfax, and be very cautious of the Craigslist sellers. Don't ever go to a private deal solo. Personally, I like my used vehicles purchases to be 60,000 miles or less. Also, check and see how the tires are wearing. That will tell you a lot about if the vehicle needs alignment work or not. Sometimes the way the tires look will tell you how the previous owner(s) have driven the car too.
                      Just be careful and most importantly, take your time. Good luck.
                      "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Used vehicles can be very expensive... especially if you bought from someone that didn't maintain it. Even if a vehicle is maintained it can have major repairs after a given number of miles. Case in point... I have a GMC truck (second vehicle) which I bought new and babied the hell out of it. Between 120,000 and 220,000 miles it seems that I had replaced damn near every part once, probably $8,000.00 in repairs. I currently have 248,000 miles on it and it drives pretty good. My goal is to get 250,000 miles out of it and I think I'll be able to achieve that. Keep on truckin!
                        My worst jump story:
                        No lie.

~
                        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

like I told my daughters. buying a used car is playing russian roulette... unless it still has manufactures warranty remiaining

Comment

Try googling the make and model and year followed by the magic word problems.

There is generally some site that will tell you all the things to watch out for.
                            "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

All of my cars have been used.....I woudn't buy a new car as the depereciation is huge. I actually just changed car, got myself an 18 month old Skoda Octavia with 11K miles on the clock - car is like new and I saved somwehere in the region of £7K off the new price - which is 1/3 of the cars value gone in 18 months!

5 Years ago, when I got my last car (another used one) I did pretty much the same thing ,although that one was only 7 months old, with 7K miles on the clock and again I saved £7K off new price.....

This way seems to work for me....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X