Car'S why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car'S why

After many a year wondering why, I still cannot think of a logical asnwer.

Regarless where a car is made, the tank filler cap is on the oppisite side from the driver. Even the Japanese follow this. WHY?
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
    After many a year wondering why, I still cannot think of a logical asnwer.

Regarless where a car is made, the tank filler cap is on the oppisite side from the driver. Even the Japanese follow this. WHY?
    My Ford has the filler cap on the passenger side, but my GF's Honda has it on the driver's side.
    Sometimes I get confused about which vehicle I'm driving.
    Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Originally posted by tigersqn View Post
      My Ford has the filler cap on the passenger side, but my GF's Honda has it on the driver's side.
      Sometimes I get confused about which vehicle I'm driving.
      Ahh, but the Honda is a Japanese designed car and there they drive from the righthand side. So otherside from driver.

Comment

My '03 Chrysler mini-van has it on the left. So did my '92 Volvo, and my '93 Honda My '93 Toyota had it on the right. I once had a Chevy, however, that had it in the license plate.
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty that has it on the left (driver's) side.

My other vehicle is a 1996 Chevy Cavalier and it's located on the right (passenger) side.
          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

It is on the left in my Ram, and the right in the Child Bride's Outback. Also, the Subaru has an internal release to undo the flap over the filler cap and the Ram does not. I too get confused.

Regards,
            Dennis
            If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

Ahh, but the Honda is a Japanese designed car and there they drive from the righthand side. So otherside from driver.

Personally, I think the filler is on the left hand side on the GF's Honda because there is a filler cap release cable with the handle just outboard of the driver's seat (LH side).
              That gives it a straight run down the side of the vehicle.

My Ford doesn't have a release cable, therefore the filler can go on the RH side.
              And my old Caravan had it on the LH side.
              Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

My Chevelle had it behind the license plate, where it belongs. A 57' Chevy has it behind the drivers tail light.

Our Subaru has it on the driver's side, as is the filler on my Jeep (the exception to your rule).
                If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Personally, I think the filler is on the left hand side on the GF's Honda because there is a filler cap release cable with the handle just outboard of the driver's seat (LH side).
                  I forgot about that. It's cable-actuated, if I recall correctly.

Originally posted by Freightshaker View Post
                  A 57' Chevy has it behind the drivers tail light.
                  That was featured in that movie with Daniel Stern, no. Apart from GM, did anyone else put it in the tail light housing?

Comment

My Ford doesn't have a release cable, therefore the filler can go on the RH side.
                    And my old Caravan had it on the LH side.
                    Cable is only a small modification. Move the filler to the other side takes many more changes.

FS, 57 Chev is really not a new car, at least not where I drive.
                    Last edited by Half Pint John; 19 Oct 12, 13:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Freightshaker View Post
                      My Chevelle had it behind the license plate, where it belongs. A 57' Chevy has it behind the drivers tail light.

Our Subaru has it on the driver's side, as is the filler on my Jeep (the exception to your rule).
                      Subaru is Japanese. Then it is designed to have the filler on the "wrong side"

Comment

Cable is only a small modivication. Move the filler to the other side takes many more changes.
                        The cable-actuator could be moved to the glove compartment: Ford did that for a while with their trunk release.

FS, 57 Chev is really not a new car, at least not where I drive.
                        Aren't you still driving Uncle Elmer's nag?

Rimshot

Comment

So to add to the question, where should it be? I'd pick drivers side or at least middle, which would require more more at the pump.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                            The cable-actuator could be moved to the glove compartment: Ford did that for a while with their trunk release.

Aren't you still driving Uncle Elmer's nag?

Rimshot
                            NOPE, Mama N's jackasss

Comment

Cable is only a small modification. Move the filler to the other side takes many more changes.
                              Uhhh, no changes required at all, if that's it's original location.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X