Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hunting Season Changes....Any logic here??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting Season Changes....Any logic here??

The local DNR has made some large changes in hunting seasons, specifically fall turkey and firearm deer seasons. Both seasons are now split.

The birds come in for a week, then out for a week then back in for 3 weeks. Anyone understand that? Do the turkeys have a union now or something?

We haven't had an exclusive buck season for years now, and that makes sense. Now you must kill a doe before taking a second legal buck. That makes sense too.

The odd part is that antlerless season which was the week immediately following the two week buck season is now split. The first 3 days are two weeks later in mid-December and the last 3 days of antlerless are at the very end of the month.

Can anyone see any logic in those season splitting changes?

Regards,
    Dennis
    Last edited by D1J1; 06 Oct 12, 05:56.
    If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

That could further change given that thousands of dear are showing up dead from EHD the past couple of weeks in southern Michigan.
    http://www.michigan.gov/emergingdise...3966--,00.html
    “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

He's not in Michigan...

Comment

The change has nothing to do with whether it is good for hunting or not. Some suit who does not hunt much if at all is making the call on what changes take place. It adds to their coffers when someone gets fined, make it confusing and someone gets a fine for hunting illegal. And if something is working don't break it does not apply to some jobs. The thing that applies is, I better make some so called improvements because if I don't do something then the bosses will think I'm not doing my job and fire me. So changes are made for the sake of change, not on if it is good for the hunters or not.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
          He's not in Michigan...
          and he isn't hunting dear.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            and he isn't hunting dear.
            Some of those Detroit suburban hunters do as they plan for their hunting week in the North country spending more of their time at the bars then in the woods.

EHD is more of a problem in the Midwest and Northeast then normal due to the early spring and hot dry summer.
            “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Maybe something for an exclusive 'youth' hunt? Grasping at straws for a reason to rearrange the seasons.
              "You listen to the ol' Pork Chop Express on a dark and stormy night......"

Comment

Originally posted by D1J1 View Post
                The odd part is that antlerless season which was the week immediately following the two week buck season is now split. The first 3 days are two weeks later in mid-December and the last 3 days of antlerless are at the very end of the month.

Can anyone see any logic in those season splitting changes?

Regards,
                Dennis
                Are the open days over weekends?

Comment

Not being a hunter myself I would suspect it is to reduce, by some amount, the stresses on the prey animals. This is further suspected that by relieving some of the stresses the more fit members can better reproduce. But it is ALL conjecture.
                  Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                    Not being a hunter myself I would suspect it is to reduce, by some amount, the stresses on the prey animals. This is further suspected that by relieving some of the stresses the more fit members can better reproduce. But it is ALL conjecture.
                    I've not hunted in years, but I'd tend to differ with your assessment. In recent years, hunting has declined, suburban development has exploded, and deers have learned how to live off of human refuse, so deer populations have jumped off the charts. I'd tend to think that game and wildlife managers wouldn't want to encourage more breeding, but reduce it, if for no other reason than it'd cut down on car accidents.
                    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                      I've not hunted in years, but I'd tend to differ with your assessment. In recent years, hunting has declined, suburban development has exploded, and deers have learned how to live off of human refuse, so deer populations have jumped off the charts. I'd tend to think that game and wildlife managers wouldn't want to encourage more breeding, but reduce it, if for no other reason than it'd cut down on car accidents.
                      See MO. Even if you don't see any trees be alert; the little b----rds are just waiting for a truck to jump in front of.

Hunting here isn't really hunting, it's pest control.
                      A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Generally our folks do a good job with game management. Turkey provide one example. 30+ years ago less than 20% of the state was open for hunting the birds, now it is 100%. As a whole I do not fault them, but the season splitting seems to have no logical reason as far as the animals are concerned.

Now we have to look for what is logical. The answer almost has to be money IMO. That has driven most all the other changes here, including the following.

Increasing the number of deer one can take, generating extra revenue from the purchase of permits to do the same. At one time the permit to take an extra buck automatically became a doe permit if not filled.....but no more. Now it becomes void at the end of the two week season, requiring one to purchase a doe permit.

While they may make a few shekels more on permits, I think we will lose money over-all. Out of state fellows coming in is big business, and they may not be as prone to come for 3 days as for a week.

Certainly the added expense of the extra trips to make two trips will turn some off, as well as decrease economic input to a lot of businesses from the shorter stays that will occur.

Illkinak, the open periods are full calendar weeks of one or two weeks. One in turkey, and 2 separate two week breaks for antlerless deer.

Regards,
                        Dennis
                        Last edited by D1J1; 07 Oct 12, 04:18.
                        If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

This is probably a damn fool question, but why would one want antlerless deer? Just food presumably, as a deer without antlers wouldn't be much of a trophy?
                          ------
                          'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                            For nearly 50 years around here, seeing deer was a rare experience in this mostly rural area. Now that woodlots from abandoned fields are the norm, the urban sprawl, and the hunting restrictions imposed by the proximity of being next to the numerous subdivisions, the deer population has exploded.

I have had one doe raise her fawns four years in a row in the little wooded fenced in patch from my bedroom window. They finally left with ma last week when they got big enough to jump the fence.

50 years ago, pheasant hunting was very popular with the birds plentiful. Thanks to the animal rights movement and their bans on trapping, the pheasants were wiped out by the racoons and foxes. Turkeys, however, have been very successful in replacing them.
                            “Breaking News,”

Comment

Originally posted by Selous View Post
                              This is probably a damn fool question, but why would one want antlerless deer? Just food presumably, as a deer without antlers wouldn't be much of a trophy?
                              Yeah, just for eating. With moose for example, if you can get a cow permit you'll probably wind up with a tastier animal than a bull in rut who's all hormoned up anyway.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X