Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Philip's Little English Manor (erm... manner)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philip's Little English Manor (erm... manner)

For all those with a simple desire to learn or know the 'prim's & propa's' of the English language!

Be you as unejumucated & fick as I, simply unsure or unknowing, or even wishing to improve or refine your use of the English language, I think this place might be of great value.

Philip (PhilipLaos) has the creds, the actual experience & is hereby Lord & Master of the Manor All please show at least a reasonable degree of manners & respect in improving your English use & understanding while also recognizing that there is more than one way of the English word & its usage around the world. With each people, region & tradition there comes with them many idiosyncrasies & idiomatic variances in use of the language.

Class Is In Session!

Go For It, Philip!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

We don't need no education
    We donít need no thought control
    No dark sarcasm in the classroom
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! Teacher! Leave them kids alone!
    All in all it's just another brick in the wall.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I kan spel rel gud and bake no type ohs two.
      Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Your mad !

Last edited by VieuxChat; 29 Sep 12, 07:15.
        "To hell wars Grudges and parties ! As our fathers Sing in real friends, The clink of glasses Roses and lilies. The clink of glasses Roses and lilies."

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
          We don't need no education
          Yes you do, that's a double negative.
          Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
            Yes you do, that's a double negative.
            Pink Floyd need's it. That is a quote, but not mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
              Pink Floyd need's it. That is a quote, but not mine.
              Needs.

Wisdom is personal

Comment

Needs.

Nerds

Comment

^ It's embarrassing when a non-native English speaker has to correct a natural-born American's.

The good news is that we're not all Coal Miner's Daughters.

Rimshot
                  I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

I have massive issues with the apostrophe. As probably does everyone else. I think most of it is caused by the word 'its'.
                    Wisdom is personal

Comment

I have massive issues with the apostrophe. As probably does everyone else. I think most of it is caused by the word 'its'.
                      They're perfectly acceptable in the English language. By the way, does Finnish proscribe double-negatives as English does, or are they accepted like in most other tongues?
                      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Yes, and you handle it better than most native speakers.

Until the return of corporal punishment for the incorrect use of there/their/they're, your/you're, and to/too/two, this regrettable state of affairs is set to continue.
                        Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Needs.

Or "need". Certainly not "need's"

My view - descriptive rather than proscriptive:

Both 'need' and 'needs' can be used in this and similar cases.

Because, like football teams, governments, etc. you can think of a rock group as a single unit or as individuals.

Single unit: "Pink Floyd is a great band."

Individuals: "Pink Floyd are a great band."

Same with any collection of individuals. e.g.

"This government has failed!" (Thinking of the government as a single entity.)

"This government have failed!" (Thinking of the government more as made of individuals.)
                          "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."ó Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                            They're perfectly acceptable in the English language. By the way, does Finnish proscribe double-negatives as English does, or are they accepted like in most other tongues?
                            I have no idea. I can't even think of a single example...maybe we don't have it

My English grammar is way better than my Finnish.

EDIT:
                            I had to google it and only came up with one example that probably only a foreigner would use. So I think the Finnish language is constructed in a way that a double negative is almost impossible to make.
                            Last edited by Karri; 29 Sep 12, 10:52.
                            Wisdom is personal

Comment

Mistakes made while typing on a phone should be exempted

Over the years, after my mom passed, I worked very hard on my English. If I wasn't able to perfect my VN, I was certainly going to make the effort on my English. Therefore, I always welcome Phillip's input.

Unless I am typing on this lousy phone which has a mind of it's own.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X