The Night Shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Night Shift

Long story —short— I'm on the night shift. Any tips on getting to sleep in the day? Because as of now, I'm finding it next to impossible to sleep while the sun is up. I should be sleeping right now. I've tried working out, eating, blacking-out the windows with curtains and shades, and most everything else friends have suggested. Desperately, I even tried a shot of Nyquil.....nothing. Wide awake. Outside of drinking myself into a stupor when I get home, and passing out, I'm all out of ideas.

Help?
    ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Try Tylenol PM. Or its sometimes called Pain PM. Different names. It is what I used to take, and my son Tyler takes it now. Trent and I have bypassed it.
    This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

If it is noisy outside. Try soft music in earbuds. That helps too.

Comment

A gradual shift of the body clock may be an option, kind of like adjusting to a new timezone?
        Apart from that, if you've tried sedatives, exercise and black outs....I'm afraid I'm out of idea bru...
        Give the drinking yourself into a stupor a go?

Depending how immune you are to medicines and what not, I always found Night Nurse, a cough remedy, quite good for bringing on sleep. But I don't tend to take much medicines, so it may have a strong effect on me.
        ------
        'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post
          Long story —short— I'm on the night shift. Any tips on getting to sleep in the day? Because as of now, I'm finding it next to impossible to sleep while the sun is up. I should be sleeping right now. I've tried working out, eating, blacking-out the windows with curtains and shades, and most everything else friends have suggested. Desperately, I even tried a shot of Nyquil.....nothing. Wide awake. Outside of drinking myself into a stupor when I get home, and passing out, I'm all out of ideas.

Help?
          how about a "quickie" with the wife?.....or girl friend.?

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
            If it is noisy outside. Try soft music in earbuds. That helps too.
            In my neck of Chicago, if it doesn't sound as if there's a twelve-alarm fire in the middle of the expressway/runway/railyard/helipad/bustop during a riot...people start to come out of doors assuming something's happened.
            ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

That helps too.

Comment

I worked nights for about 7 years a while back. It takes a while to get into a sleep cycle which works for you, so maybe you just need to give it a bit more time? I'm not sure how long you've been on the shift, though. The tendency for some is to try to switch back to a day schedule when you're on your days off, and I definitely recommend resisting the temptation to do so. Don't go back to sleep at night until your routine is well established, if ever. I noticed the following in my experience:
                1. Working out did not help at all if done right before going to bed. It did, however, help if done several hours earlier in my work "day".
                2. Avoid the temptation to use things like unisom or nyquil. They may or may not work anyhow, and you run a risk of dependency.
                3. Dark and quiet helped quite a bit. Genuine blackout shades and soft foam earplugs if you can stand them. I'm personally a little paranoid and did not like the earplugs, but they do help if you can relax without hearing what's going on around you.
                4. Don't eat before going to bed and obviously avoid caffeine for several hours prior to sleeping.
                5. Normal folks don't go right from work to bed for the most part. It can be hard to unwind after a day of work, so allow a couple hours of relaxing before trying to sleep. Reading worked very well for me.
                6. Don't neglect your vitamin D levels. It's amazing how much different you can feel when not exposed to regular sunshine. Keep an eye out for depression.
                7. Music helps some folks sleep, but it did not do so for me.
                8. Cut out any and all naps until you get into a routine.

Comment

Originally posted by Selous View Post
                  Depending how immune you are to medicines and what not, I always found Night Nurse, a cough remedy, quite good for bringing on sleep. But I don't tend to take much medicines, so it may have a strong effect on me.
                  No pain medication has ever had much of an effect on me. When I had surgery in my teens, the anesthesiologist told me that he was going to give me the mask and that I should start counting backwards from 100. By the time I got to about 75, he started looking a little tense. I stopped counting and actually had a conversation with him while he was trying to knock me out. It turns out he went to my elementary school, and we actually shared a teacher who was still there some 30 years later. After the surgery, he sought me out in the hospital (never met the actual surgeon) and told me that I had an incredibly high pain tolerance. It's not like I was biting on a shim, gritting my teeth, it just didn't hurt.

When I sliced my hand open pretty damn good a few years after that, I got the same deal. The doctor tried some sort of local topical spray, and (I you not, honestly) twelve injections with a syringe into the webbing between my index and middle finger, I felt everything as if I had no medication whatsoever. I wish I had a rope to bite on during that one.

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
                  how about a "quickie" with the wife?.....or girl friend.?
                  Why didn't I think of that!? It would probably have to be a nooner.
                  Originally posted by llkinak View Post
                  I worked nights for about 7 years a while back. It takes a while to get into a sleep cycle which works for you, so maybe you just need to give it a bit more time? I'm not sure how long you've been on the shift, though. The tendency for some is to try to switch back to a day schedule when you're on your days off, and I definitely recommend resisting the temptation to do so. Don't go back to sleep at night until your routine is well established, if ever. I noticed the following in my experience:
                  1. Working out did not help at all if done right before going to bed. It did, however, help if done several hours earlier in my work "day".
                  2. Avoid the temptation to use things like unisom or nyquil. They may or may not work anyhow, and you run a risk of dependency.
                  3. Dark and quiet helped quite a bit. Genuine blackout shades and soft foam earplugs if you can stand them. I'm personally a little paranoid and did not like the earplugs, but they do help if you can relax without hearing what's going on around you.
                  4. Don't eat before going to bed and obviously avoid caffeine for several hours prior to sleeping.
                  5. Normal folks don't go right from work to bed for the most part. It can be hard to unwind after a day of work, so allow a couple hours of relaxing before trying to sleep. Reading worked very well for me.
                  6. Don't neglect your vitamin D levels. It's amazing how much different you can feel when not exposed to regular sunshine. Keep an eye out for depression.
                  7. Music helps some folks sleep, but it did not do so for me.
                  8. Cut out any and all naps until you get into a routine.
                  Thanks for the detailed response Lance. It's only been about two weeks and change, but I thought it would happen quicker. The problem is, when I'm getting out, my body wants to wake up as if it was the morning. And then I get to thinking of how much left of the the day I have, when in reality the hours are counting down and I don't realize it. I feel like I need to find some way to wear myself out before work, during, and after. The root of the problem also lies in the fact that I got something of a promotion and I'm performing drastically less physical work than I used to. I just have too much energy. I actually put on a little weight. I'll have to watch out for that depression now.

Comment

I went into a depression badly when I began the night shift. My first 10 years as a patrolman was the night shift. Then I worked it periodically. I think it is what continued my alcohol abuse. I know what you mean about 12 shots. I had 12 shots of Novocaine when I was 26. I had some of my teeth knocked out, broke and all sorts of damage. It took 12 shots of Novocaine to fix me. I detest dentists to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
                      I went into a depression badly when I began the night shift. My first 10 years as a patrolman was the night shift. Then I worked it periodically. I think it is what continued my alcohol abuse. I know what you mean about 12 shots. I had 12 shots of Novocaine when I was 26. I had some of my teeth knocked out, broke and all sorts of damage. It took 12 shots of Novocaine to fix me. I detest dentists to this day.
                      I can understand to a degree, I think. It's very odd driving to work on roads that are usually gridlock, now all but abandoned. It's feels like I'm living an alter ego.

Another odd anecdote: my first ever visit to the dentist I remember like yesterday. The reason, you ask? After a careful examination the dentist brought my mother in and explained to us both he'd never seen anything like it, but, the enamel of my teeth was so thick, that (verbatim) "If you never brushed your teeth another day in your life, you'd still probably never get a cavity." My ma's face tensed, and I could tell she was fuming. Poor choice of explanation for a child. But to this day, I've never had a cavity.
                      Last edited by Lucky 6; 26 Sep 12, 18:39.

Comment

Long story —short— I'm on the night shift. Any tips on getting to sleep in the day? out, I'm all out of ideas.

Help?
                        Work harder... you lazy tosspot!!!
                        The long toll of the brave
                        Is not lost in darkness
                        Over the fruitful earth
                        And athwart the seas
                        Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                        Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Having them knocked and broke out isn't much fun either. Yeah. I preferred the night time. But, more criminals out.

I can understand to a degree, I think. It's very odd driving to work on roads that are usually gridlock, now all but abandoned. It's feels like I'm living an alter ego.

Another odd anecdote: my first ever visit to the dentist I remember like yesterday. The reason, you ask? After a careful examination the dentist brought my mother in and explained to us both he'd never seen anything like it, but, the enamel of my teeth was so thick, that (verbatim) "If you never brushed your teeth another day in your life, you'd still probably never get a cavity." My ma's face tensed, and I could tell she was fuming. Poor choice of explanation for a child. But to this day, I've never had a cavity.

Comment

When I was an undergrad for a while I worked a night shift from Midnight to 8 AM, and then had to go straight to classes. Talk about something that will make you stronger if it doesn't kill you.

I used Tylenol PM or Advil PM to help regulate my sleeping patterns during that period.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Saigon View Post
                              When I was an undergrad for a while I worked a night shift from Midnight to 8 AM, and then had to go straight to classes. Talk about something that will make you stronger if it doesn't kill you.

I could understand maybe doing that if I had a British university week of 5 hours in lectures/seminars, but not an American one of class all day. you're a tough one Miss S
                              ------
                              'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X