Did Jesus have a wife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Jesus have a wife?

A historian of early Christianity at Harvard Divinity School has identified a scrap of papyrus that she says was written in Coptic in the fourth century and contains a phrase never seen in any piece of Scripture: “Jesus said to them, ‘My wife ...’ ”

Professor Karen L. King, in her office at Harvard Divinity School, held a fragment of papyrus that she says was written in Coptic in the fourth century and contains a reference to Jesus' wife.

The faded papyrus fragment is smaller than a business card, with eight lines on one side, in black ink legible under a magnifying glass. Just below the line about Jesus having a wife, the papyrus includes a second provocative clause that purportedly says, “she will be able to be my disciple.”

The finding was made public in Rome on Tuesday at the International Congress of Coptic Studies by Karen L. King, a historian who has published several books about new Gospel discoveries and is the first woman to hold the nation’s oldest endowed chair, the Hollis professor of divinity.

The provenance of the papyrus fragment is a mystery, and its owner has asked to remain anonymous. Until Tuesday, Dr. King had shown the fragment to only a small circle of experts in papyrology and Coptic linguistics, who concluded that it is most likely not a forgery. But she and her collaborators say they are eager for more scholars to weigh in and perhaps upend their conclusions.
    What convinced them it was probably genuine was the fading of the ink on the papyrus fibers, and traces of ink adhered to the bent fibers at the torn edges. The back side is so faint that only five words are visible, one only partly: “my moth[er],” “three,” “forth which.”

“It would be impossible to forge,” said Dr. Luijendijk, who contributed to Dr. King’s paper.

Dr. Bagnall reasoned that a forger would have had to be expert in Coptic grammar, handwriting and ideas. Most forgeries he has seen were nothing more than gibberish. And if it were a forgery intended to cause a sensation or make someone rich, why would it have lain in obscurity for so many years?

“It’s hard to construct a scenario that is at all plausible in which somebody fakes something like this. The world is not really crawling with crooked papyrologists,” Dr. Bagnall said.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/us...nted=1&_r=3&hp

Interesting. I don't think that it will change anything in a major way because it doesn't offer enough context, but from a historical point of view it's a really interesting find.
    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Married or not, it apparently didn't warrant enough attention to have been recorded to history.

As it was the custom of the day taken for granted that a young man would get married and a wife being the homemaker not getting involved in her husband's affairs, there is nothing mentioned in the Bible about a wife of Jesus, or the wives and children of his apostles. Otherwise, it would have been mentioned that he had remain single since it is mentioned that he was a carpenter, a trade handed down from father to son.
    “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Sure, as long as you stick to the assumption that the Bible hasn't gone through one or more political edits before finding the form we are familiar with.

“she will be able to be my disciple.” Is also interesting in that there is some sort of conjecture that there are missing gospels, one of which may have been written by a female.

Still, I don't have an axe to grind on this. I don't think it really matters one way or the other, except it *might* cause some doctrinal re-examination in the Catholic Church - though I doubt that because there is the very strong possibility that this fragment was originally written by a group such as the Gnostics, and probably had its own agenda.

It is always quite nice that things this old have somehow managed to survive the centuries, and give us just the tiniest peek into those days.

Comment

There were a lot of gospels thrown out by a church council. I saw a special on this on cable.

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Jesus's wife was Mary Magdeline...

Comment

Originally posted by General Brock View Post
            Jesus's wife was Mary Magdeline...
            Not likely: she was a contemporary of Jesus' Mother, and in the ancient world, no one in his right mind would marry an old woman unless she was loaded to the gills: infertility was grounds for annulment, not only of the marriage per se, but also of the marriage contract, including forfeiture of any dowry, ie property. So it would have been very unlikely that Jesus would have married an old lady, one probably too old to bear children. Jesus may indeed, have married a Mary -- but she wasn't Mary Magdalene.
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Sure he was married.

Comment

I'd think it more likely he was talking about a future wife.

But anyway, with only one tiny dubious source, it hardly rises to the level of proof. Especially since it's not mentioned anywhere else.

Philip
                "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

Was Jesus married?

I doubt it or it would have garnered a lot of attention in the 4 Gospels. But, even if He was it wouldn't shake my beliefs in Him any.
                  "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by Trailboss49 View Post
                    Was Jesus married?

I doubt it or it would have garnered a lot of attention in the 4 Gospels. But, even if He was it wouldn't shake my beliefs in Him any.
                    Given the customs of that period, it would have brought more attention and have been written about if Jesus, and, or his disciples had not been married.

Very little is written about the women of that time unless one of them did something of importance or unusual involving the spiritual leaders of that time. It was strictly a male dominated society back then.
                    “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

That is what I thought too. And if you look close at the painting of The Last Supper, she is there beside him-and appears to be with child.

QUOTE=General Brock;2345717]Jesus's wife was Mary Magdeline...[/QUOTE]
                      This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well for one thing. The church took alot out they didn't want people to know about, or they didn't think was worth mentioning. This pisses off my Uncle George when I say that.
                        This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
                          That is what I thought too. And if you look close at the painting of The Last Supper, she is there beside him-and appears to be with child.
                          So it was that much common knowledge when Da Vinci painted it? or was it that he was one of the 'secret' direct descendants of Jesus' off spring and just had to paint the truth somewhere so that perhaps some 500 years later, some British authors and an American copy cat pulp fiction writer could start up a conspiracy theory that would end up ruling the world.

Paul
                          ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                          All human ills he can subdue,
                          Or with a bauble or medal
                          Can win mans heart for you;
                          And many a blessing know to stew
                          To make a megloamaniac bright;
                          Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                          The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by Trailboss49 View Post
                            But, even if He was it wouldn't shake my beliefs in Him any.
                            Agreed. I don't see how it makes much difference to who he really was and what he was about (whatever anyone's thoughts are on it).

Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
                            I'd think it more likely he was talking about a future wife.

But anyway, with only one tiny dubious source, it hardly rises to the level of proof. Especially since it's not mentioned anywhere else.
                            No it's not proof, and it's not close to it. It's just a talking point at this moment. It just makes you wonder how much of the real story was lost, destroyed or twisted though (accidentally or otherwise).

Comment

Makes for some interesting archeology work.
                              A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                                Prawn heads
                                by Karri
                                How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                Yesterday, 11:40
                              • Jose50
                                Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                by Jose50
                                Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                Yesterday, 08:41
                              • Von Richter
                                Sagittarius Rising...
                                by Von Richter
                                Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                Yesterday, 01:19
                              Working...
                              X