Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In which countries could you not follow the local customs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In which countries could you not follow the local customs ?

The saying runs "When in Rome do as the Romans do"

I'm interested to know more about countries' customs so I'm asking which are the countries where you couldn't follow the local customs ?
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Originally posted by Cosmos View Post
    The saying runs "When in Rome do as the Romans do"

I'm interested to know more about countries' customs so I'm asking which are the countries where you couldn't follow the local customs ?
    I lived in Japan for 2 years and ate out in cheap noodle bars, etc. every day.

The Japanese custom when eating noodles is to 'slurp' as loudly as possible with every mouthful. Apparently, it shows appreciation of the food - the louder the slurps, the greater the appreciation.

Sitting at a bar next to guys doing that most days practically drove me nuts! I was brought up to eat silently and could never adopt that custom. To me, it's really gross.

Philip
    Last edited by PhilipLaos; 14 Sep 12, 18:55.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."ó Bertrand Russell

Comment

I would say it depended on the custom and not the country that is important. So I wouldn't say there is a country whose custom I'd not follow. Does that make sense?
      Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Hi Richard.
        Happy day before Friday.
        Originally posted by RichardS View Post
        I would say it depended on the custom and not the country that is important. So I wouldn't say there is a country whose custom I'd not follow. Does that make sense?
        I would agree.
        "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
          Then I must pose the question to you (and others who agree with you) in two parts :
          (i) which customs could you not follow ?
          (ii) in which country are those customs usually followed ?
          The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Any country where Islam is the dominant 'religion', as I don't recognize Islam's right to exist.

-Matt
            SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmos View Post

America.
              "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                America.
                America has customs?
                I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Hot roasted chestnuts. Not sure how other countries present these, but I love them - British style, i.e. hot and roasted. However, while living in Barcelona, Spain I'd pass roasted chestnut vendors on all street corners around the city centre. I bought a packet every night during the chestnut season.

But there was a big problem for me. The chestnut venders would consistently refuse to sell me any of the newly roasted hot chestnuts since they claimed they were not yet ready. That is, they were still cooling. They would only sell packets of cold roasted chestnuts, even though they had piles of the hot chestnuts waiting to be bagged.

What is wrong with these people? I won't even go into the cold tomato soup. Catherine Tate does it better.

The....dirty....evil.....lazy.....foreign......... ..bastards!

Philip
                  Last edited by PhilipLaos; 13 Sep 12, 23:13.
                  "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."ó Bertrand Russell

Comment

I would not eat with bare hands when utensils are perfectly called for and available.

I will insist on toilet tissue in place of bare hand again!
                    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

I would say when you are in Liechtenstein that you could get away without speaking Liechtensteinese, because not many people who aren't from there can speak that language.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
                        Hot roasted chestnuts. Not sure how other countries present these, but I love them - British style, i.e. hot and roasted. However, while living in Barcelona, Spain I'd pass roasted chestnut vendors on all street corners around the city centre. I bought a packet every night during the chestnut season.

But there was a big problem for me. The chestnut venders would consistently refuse to sell me any of the newly roasted hot chestnuts since they claimed they were not yet ready. That is, they were still cooling. They would only sell packets of cold roasted chestnuts, even though they had piles of the hot chestnuts waiting to be bagged.

What is wrong with these people? I won't even go into the cold tomato soup. Catherine Tate does it better.

The....dirty....evil.....lazy.....foreign......... ..bastards!

Philip
                        Please pardon my humble comparrison, but in my experience, roasted chestnuts make you fart like a fat dog!.
                        "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

While in Iraq, I couldn't bring myself to wipe my bum with my left hand. I'll leave that to the locals.

Comment

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
                            While in Iraq, I couldn't bring myself to wipe my bum with my left hand. I'll leave that to the locals.

You let the locals wipe your bum ?
                            Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

I don't think that I could even travel to the west side of Manchester (NH) without being totally ignorant of local customs. They are seriously Canuck over there...
                              ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                              IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X