1934 BMW R7 ~ One of a Kind!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1934 BMW R7 ~ One of a Kind!

BMW only made one of this and the prototype has been rusting away in a box since WWII. It was a long and tedious job but BMW engineers restored it to its former glory!

1934 BMW R7

"The 1930s was a time of engagement with the fabulous and expressive world of Art
    Deco. The integrated design of the R 7, with its extravagantly valanced mudguards, clean flowing lines and extensive use of chrome and steel, perfectly encapsulated this era. It was a motorcycle like no other that had preceded it or, in many ways, has been produced since. Motorcycles had developed from the humble bicycle and that is what, at that time, they still very much resembled.
    "

"For unfathomable reasons, that was the fate of the R 7 until June 2005, when the box was opened. Inside, the R 7 was 70 per cent complete, but its condition was not good. Many parts had been severely damaged by rust and a ruptured battery had also caused some serious corrosion problems. This would be a long-term and expensive exercise, but BMW Mobile Tradition (now BMW Classic) was in a position to give the go-ahead for the restoration."

"With parts found, parts re-built and coats of lustrous black paint (of course with the signature BMW pin-stripes applied) it all came together late last year when the R 7 was finally returned to its former glory. There was still a bit to do however. The minor but important cosmetic trim needed to be added and final checks made. It was an expensive exercise, but a real labour of love by the expert team. The bike was checked, tuned and made ready. For the first time in over 70 years the R 7 was kicked into life and sent out on to the road with Hans Keckeisen behind the 'bars. The bike performed flawlessly and gave Hans a glimpse of just what BMW Motorrad had in mind toward the end of the 1930s."

http://www.atimetoget.com/2009/03/1932-bmw-r7.html
    Last edited by Persephone; 07 Sep 12, 09:26.
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

This bike was on display at this year's 2012 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. It won Best in Class!

* at 5:24

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Jay Leno was even checking it out...looks like he wants one!

Comment

looks a little like a nimbus the nimbus is the naked bike of the deco era

The French had some great art deco bikes as well and I believe henderson had one too.

Comment

its beautiful..

would that be Bauhaus inspired metalwork?
          Human beings are the only creatures who are able to behave irrationally in the name of reason.

Comment

Makes me want to skip out of work and ride....
            My worst jump story:
            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
            No lie.

~
            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

I'm too tall to ride.
              This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
                I'm too tall to ride.
                Get bigger tires.
                My worst jump story:
                My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                No lie.

~
                "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

You can get bigger tires for a man who's 6'5" and has long-ass legs?

Comment

I do, however, drive a John Deere Gator. I have like 3 UTV's like that.

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
                      You can get bigger tires for a man who's 6'5" and has long-ass legs?
                      Just add motor and training wheels...

Or get one of these:

Last edited by Mountain Man; 09 Sep 12, 14:25.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Now that is a bit big. I prefer my UTV's.

Comment

Originally posted by KICK View Post
                          its beautiful..

would that be Bauhaus inspired metalwork?
                          I agree...it's a very nice looking bike. If BMW rolled out a select few, I'll bet there would be people lined up to buy them.

Now...this is a Bauhaus inspired ride...

And here's one with eye candy for the guys...

Last edited by Persephone; 11 Sep 12, 11:26.

Comment

Thats a Confederate wraith I believe

Comment

BMW is way cool man. Looks better than many made today.
                              "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X