Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember when... (Best Childhood Wildlife Memories)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember when... (Best Childhood Wildlife Memories)

This thread is to talk about your bet childhood wildlife memories.

Remember when you had no TVs? Or computers? Even if you did you wouldnt watch it unless a cold war alert happened.
    Well now a days kids are fat and lazy and it's just sad but there is hope, myself I live in farmland area and have wildlife and no cable never watch TV, it starts to downpour... Remember you loved the rain? Now people don't care the weather as long as their TV worked... I ran on my bike ran into puddles and had fun in the rain. I saw a raccoon most people are scared of raccoons because of how bad they can be. Me and my cat walked to it. And made it a friend he has a wife and when it started to downpour he ran inside his home. It was cloudless thats why he was out during the day.

So I thought I could make a thread about your best childhood wildlife memoirs.

I lived in a subdivision, so I didn't have too many wildlife memories as a kid. But my fiancee used to live in an apartment complex that had a wooded area close by, and if I left her place late enough, I'd be sure to steer clear of the skunks that foraged in the yard at night!

-Matt
    SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Originally posted by WWIIWWIpilot View Post
      This thread is to talk about your bet childhood wildlife memories.

Remember when you had no TVs? Or computers? Even if you did you wouldnt watch it unless a cold war alert happened.
      Well now a days kids are fat and lazy and it's just sad but there is hope, myself I live in farmland area and have wildlife and no cable never watch TV, it starts to downpour... Remember you loved the rain? Now people don't care the weather as long as their TV worked... I ran on my bike ran into puddles and had fun in the rain. I saw a raccoon most people are scared of raccoons because of how bad they can be. Me and my cat walked to it. And made it a friend he has a wife and when it started to downpour he ran inside his home. It was cloudless thats why he was out during the day.

So I thought I could make a thread about your best childhood wildlife memoirs.
      How can you be talking about back when you were a kid.....kid?

You can't count yourself among the aged if you have no living memory of Betamax.

I was a city kid but nature did sometimes creep into Phoenix. Gecko catching was a popular boyhood hobby. Those little critters were fast.

Also dodging yellowjackets. At the local pool there was this outdoor shower no kid had the courage to use because a batch of wasps went MS13 and claimed it as their turf. Don't laugh, AZ has a breed of wasp that literally gets blitzed and goes on a mean drunk DUI (FUI?) rampage.

Pass me another brewski!

About as close as I got to nature before moving.
      Last edited by Pirateship1982; 05 Sep 12, 02:23.
      A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

You can't count yourself among the aged if you have no living memory of Betamax.

I'm not sure which one is more amusing.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

I'm not sure which one is more amusing.
          Heh, I knew I'd get schooled by an even older and wiser head but I couldn't pass the opportunity for a jab.

I actually pulled the same gaffe Pilot did when I used the phrase "back in the '80s" while speaking to a gathering in which I was the youngest at thirty by at least 20 years. I almost got laughed out of the auditorium.
          A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Well I grew up in the burbs of Vancouver, in wild Surrey. There was/is some forest behind the house we grew up in and we neighbourhood kids would play war/cops and robbers/cowboys and indians there - big battles with cap pistols. We spent our summers on Vancouver island, swimming, gathering oysters and digging clams, fishing for bullheads and keeping them in a bucket of seawater then releasing them. Me and my sis would go out fishing for salmon or bottom fish (rock cod, sole) with my Dad (sometimes Mom too). Sis was better at fishing then me. Also the beach at the place we stayed, Fanny Bay, was rocky and there were lots of little shore crabs we would catch by turning over rocks and also put in our bucket aquariums.

Good times indeed.

Then I went to high school.

Comment

I was on vacation in Maui years ago and was out in the water snorkeling. A giant sea tortoise swam right up to me and got really close. I reached out and grabbed onto its shell and it took off...with me hanging on for dear life. The whole time it was trying to shake me off, eventually I let go. When I got to the surface of the water, I realize it dragged me pretty far out. I ended up losing most of my snorkel gear, the only thing I had was my fins. Thank goodness or it would have took way longer to swim back to shore...
              "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

... the first time getting yelled at by my parents for ruining their cassette tape collection after I decided to use them to build forts for one of the many battles in the epic toy soldier war between me, my sister and my cousin.

...the first time I learned that stomping on a fire ant nest while wearing flip flops is a *VERY VERY* bad idea.

...that a baby chick can wear and totally rock the helmets for my Thundercats and He-man action figures.

...the first time I learned that sea water doesn't just taste salty, it burns your eyes like hell when you surface.
                -----------------------------------
                Sings we a song of wolves.
                Who smells fear and slays the coward.
                Sings we a song of man.
                Who smells gold and slays his brother

Comment

I lived on a poultry farm and I mostly saw deer, fox and racoons.

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                  Heh, I knew I'd get schooled by an even older and wiser head but I couldn't pass the opportunity for a jab.

I actually pulled the same gaffe Pilot did when I used the phrase "back in the '80s" while speaking to a gathering in which I was the youngest at thirty by at least 20 years. I almost got laughed out of the auditorium.
                  Pirateship1982, we must be close to the same age so for us not young but not old crowd here at ACG I give you this memory:

“When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                  ― Groucho Marx

Comment

How old is old? Once upon a time, during my life, when some one ask you about the TV, you thought them crazy. TV was unknown. Was it better or worse than today? It was better when it came to the 24/7 news. Today we have to much info to filter.
                    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Not necessarily a fond memory, but my dog had the habit of getting off of her rope in the back yard. Once (only once) she came home smelling of skunk, and twice (she wasn't the brightest dog) she came home with porcupine quills in her cheeks and jaws.

Comment

Ohhhh, you're asking the wrong person! Where do I even begin?

I'm a real townie, but I love animals. I had a sandcrab farm for year as a girl. I made a terrarium filled with sand and water and caught sandcrabs and hermit crabs and would give them leftovers. Every few months I'd let them go and catch a new batch. I had a number of farms too like a praying mantis farm, an ant farm, a spider farm and a chameleon farm. I had a Jackson Chameleon and trained it to eat from my hand and sit in my hair.

When my dad was stationed in Florida I adopted a squirrel. I would leave food nearby and then leave bit closer and closer to the door until it would be waiting for me right at the door. Eventually, it began "knocking" and it would come by at the same time every day. I'd give her nuts and seeds and things and we would just sit and eat together. I was so sad when we PCS'd.

While there I also adopted a tortoise. It was in the road when I was running and I saved it from getting run over. I put it near the pond and would visit to feed it veggies.

I got to see a number of baby turtle hatchings too. Those guys are so cute.

Currently, I have a weird thing with bees. Whenever bees are around they come to me for some reason. Maybe it's my fragrance or something. I was at the range today and a few of them landed on me. I only knocked one off when it decided to sit on my sights.
                        TTFN

Comment

When the princess telephone introduced the signature series with the buttons in place of the dial, we were sure nothing would ever top that.

When "mobile phones" were introduced, we were afraid to leave it turned on because the toll was phenomenal, but we carried it proudly because it was big and sturdy enough to beat a mugger to death with.

When we laughed at those idiots who bought a Honda Civic because they were too poor to afford Ford Grenada.

When we thought those morons crowding around the "Space Invader" game at the bowling alley would be a temporary distraction and everyone would go back to bowling in a short time.
                          Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                            It was better when it came to the 24/7 news. Today we have to much info to filter.
                            Interestingly enough they(I think it was in the USA) recently published a poll/study on this. Most people who felt that there was too much info just didn't know how to search/filter it. ie. didn't know how to use Google.
                            Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
                              I lived on a poultry farm and I mostly saw deer, fox and racoons.

Pirateship1982, we must be close to the same age so for us not young but not old crowd here at ACG I give you this memory:

Breakfast of champions.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X