Branson veterans museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Branson veterans museum

Posted this here because I thought it would get more exposure than in the museum board.
    I live about 30 miles from Branson missouri.There is a veterans museum there.I had been there about two years ago and wanted to go through it agian. when I went through the door,, there was a sign saying under new management.I asked the guy there what that was about. He said with the bad economy...........the museum was now taken over by the bank who holds its mortgage.He said he was trying to get it filed as being a non-profit so he could get some donations to help keep it open.
    This is a real bummer. They have some VERY interesting stuff there. They have a very huge and rare German naval flag that was only flown on Battleships.The WW2 room has EVERY American KIA printed on the wall.They have a plaque saying it is the only place on earth that does. That room is huge.... and the print is so small.
    there are A lot of VERY interesting displays there.
    The original founder was quite a sculpter..........Inside there is a life size metal statue display of 50 soldiers in double file as marching up to battle........it is billed as the largest display of its kind in the world........

There are seperate rooms for each conflict,WW1,WW2,Korea,Vietnam,Iraq....

Lots of weapons,paintings,pictures,uniforms,friendly and adversaries.
    There is a rare tea set that belonged to Goering.............A rare tea set of Eva Brauns,also her hair brush and a serving platter.. all with her initials on them........

I posted this because it would be a shame to see this close down.They have a $15 donation/entrance fee.
    So if you are in the vicinity.......... please go see it. Well worth the $15

I hope posting here will bring in more business Jeff. I think it is of utmost importance to support places that remind us of where we have been in the past.
    "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
    - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

Museums dedicated to veterans are nearly impossible to put together, let alone bring in enough money to stay open. Sounds like yours is much further alone than others which have failed before they get started. Reason, so much of the personal items are either lost to time, or have been scarfed up by private collectors.

Currently, for Michigan's Own Military and Space Museum, there are 220 complete WW2 individual displays, 24+ WW1, 61 Polar Bears - soldiers sent to Russia to fight the Communist, 34 Korean War, 17 Space Pioneers, 40 Vietnam Vets, Assortment of Gulf War and current War on terror, 28 Cross recipients, and 30 Medal of Honor recipients, the largest in the nation in one location. There are also over 600 uniforms on hangers and hundreds of other personal items jammed in the warehouse and in every nook and cranny in the place.
      http://www.michigansmilitarymuseum.com/
      There is a link to the On Cell audio tour at the web site.

War souvenirs are kept down to to four cases of Polar Bears, WW2 Nazi Germany, WW2 Imperial Japan, and War on Terror. Models, old weapons, and war posters line the tops of cabinets. One display, including the original battle flag, honors the USS Liberty, the only US navy ship attacked by the Israelis during the 1967 six day war. An F-86 Sabre Jet outside has the squadron markings of Ivan Kinchloe and Cecil Foster, the two Michigan Korean War aces.

This collection took the curator 46 years to accumulate. Currently, the volunteers are running the museum as a result of the curator having suffered a major stroke eight weeks ago. There is too much to be lost here if we are forced to close. Fortunately, the City of Frankenmuth owns the building and property under a $1 a year lease agreement as we are a non profit organization. And, as always, money is a constant worry now that we have had to hire an administrator to coordinate everything.

I'm back there tomorrow to work on finding hidden and undocumented inventory. That is the problem with a one man show that insisted on running everything with the inventory kept in his head.

If the Branson Veterans Museum is anything near what the Michigan's Own is, do everything possible to keep that collection together. It is now impossible to put together such a collection since so much has been lost to the ravages of improper storage, thrown out into the trash, or scarfed up by collectors and professional estate liquidators.
      “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

I visited the Branson veterans museum last year while I was in town for a reunion of my old outfit in Vietnam. It was the only attraction in Branson that I felt was truly interesting.

Thanks for the heads-up, Jeff. I'll pass the word along and maybe we can help do something about the situation.
        "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

Here is a video about it:

"I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

From the video, it sounds like they blew a ton of money on the custom bronze sculptures, then found themselves unable to pay back the loan from the bank where they should have solicited for grants money to finance those projects. They certainly had far more visitors then Michigan's Own has had in its entire existence.

A tragic loss and probably some irate families that donated uniforms of love ones should that collection get liquidated to pay off the creditors.

(Last year, we were given the battle flag that flew over the USS Liberty the day it was shot off the fantail by Israelis Jets during the 1967 Arab Israelis War. It is mounted in a huge frame next to the display of a Michigan veteran that was on board the day of the attack. We are just running out of room to display and store what has been coming in from the public and other sources. We got the stuffed Polar Bear last year from the Detroit Recruiting Office where it now fills the entranceway. A WW2 Field Generator, a MARS ham radio the size of a refrigerator, a complete pontoon bridge training kit, field projector, a target kite for AA training, field typewriter, radios, footlockers. We have no room to display those things.)
            Last edited by SRV Ron; 31 Aug 12, 07:44.
            “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

There's also a small military museum in Springfield, MO. Some nice stuff. Could use more room, but hey, these days...
              Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
              Hyperwar, Whats New
              World War II Resources
              The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X