Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

British military things I think I like.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British military things I think I like.....

.....that truthfully I don't know very much about.

1) The Coldstream Guards. How's that for a cool sounding name, "The Coldstream Guards."

2) The Gurkha Rifles. Although it sounded a lot better when the battalions all had different titles like, "10th Princess Mary's Own Gurkha Rifles." To sound any cooler, you'd have to be called, "The Coldstream Guards."

3) Prince Harry. Dude, don't tell me Wills ain't jealous. 'Nuff said.

4) Bagpipes. Aren't they beautiful for about 10 minutes? Or is it five?

5) Sharpe's Rifles. Just because.
    Last edited by KRJ; 27 Aug 12, 20:25.
    "Shoot for the epaulets, boys! Shoot for the epaulets!" - Daniel Morgan

SA80 rifle. I just love the rugged yet high tech look to it.

-----------------------------------
    Sings we a song of wolves.
    Who smells fear and slays the coward.
    Sings we a song of man.
    Who smells gold and slays his brother

Comment

I was privileged to be invited to a Brit. Military Ball, for the Queens Birthday, back in the 70’s. I was wowed by their wearing of the traditional branch uniforms, it was like something out of an old movie.
      If they still wear them - I like that.

Comment

The Black Watch sounds even better.

Comment

I love their exotic regimental names. So much more unique than the # Infantry Regiment.

I also love their military tradition and culture, and especially the ceremonial aspects that go along with it. Bear in mind that this is a country where up until a few years ago the dress uniform was very rarely seen by the general public .... then Gen. Casey made the dress uniform into the service uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
            The Black Watch sounds even better.
            Aye. Nothin' like the pipes to stir your blood. I wish there were more parades like this stateside.

...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
              I love their exotic regimental names. So much more unique than the # Infantry Regiment.

I also love their military tradition and culture, and especially the ceremonial aspects that go along with it. Bear in mind that this is a country where up until a few years ago the dress uniform was very rarely seen by the general public .... then Gen. Casey made the dress uniform into the service uniform.
              Can you elaborate please!

Paul
              ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
              All human ills he can subdue,
              Or with a bauble or medal
              Can win mans heart for you;
              And many a blessing know to stew
              To make a megloamaniac bright;
              Give honour to the dainty Corse,
              The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

The Scots Greys.
                TTFN

Comment

lcm1

Skip

Comment

Corned Beef

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                      Can you elaborate please!

Paul
                      The old green service uniform which was what was most commonly seen by the general public was abolished and replaced by the dark blue dress uniform which with minor variations now serves as both the dress uniform and the service uniform.

The blue dress uniform had previously been abolished in the 1930s but had been brought back in the 1950s but for some reason was never really worn as much as the green service uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfleader View Post
                        SA80 rifle. I just love the rugged yet high tech look to it.

Including the bit were it all falls apart after a lot of use..or did this problem get fixed???

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
                          The old green service uniform which was what was most commonly seen by the general public was abolished and replaced by the dark blue dress uniform which with minor variations now serves as both the dress uniform and the service uniform.

The blue dress uniform had previously been abolished in the 1930s but had been brought back in the 1950s but for some reason was never really worn as much as the green service uniform.

During my time in the Brit Army 54-57 I only ever saw one set of dress blues and the guy that had them paid for them himself.....we always wore our greens or our combats...

Comment

Swagger sticks. Do they still use them?

RSMs who enjoy telling people that they are 'orrible little men.
                            Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Royal Regiment of Wales (24th/41st Foot)

Irish Guards

Welsh Guards

Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers and Greys)

Ghurkas

Bagpipes (I do love them so.)

It's said to take 30 years to learn to play the bagpipes and 3 generations to get it right.
                              Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X