Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First fatal bear mauling in Denali National Park history

http://www.adn.com/2012/08/26/260068...ers-clues.html

The bear, a mature 600 pound boar, was large for an interior griz. He was later shot by Alaska Wildlife Troopers and park officials are confident he was the only bear involved. This is all very unfortunate, since being more bear aware may have saved both the bear and the hiker. Damn shame, and almost certainly preventable.

Damn shame, and almost certainly preventable.
    Agree. Concerning this one, will keep my opinions to myself.
    Skip

Comment

I've hiked and backpacked in many areas with large black bear populations (MI, ME, CA, TN, PA) and never was overly concerned. I'd feel much different in grizzly/brown bear territory. To be deliberately that close to a grizz for that length of time with no protection whatsoever, is stupidity. I could see getting a quick pic before retreating, but what he did was reckless.
      Last edited by johns624; 27 Aug 12, 15:02. Reason: space

Comment

Yep, I think it was reckless and needless. Bears don't care about a person's desire to "become one with nature" or commune with the various critters there. Bears just sort of do what they've always done, and it sucks when they have to pay the penalty for human foolishness. It also sucks that such a beautiful park gets in the news for this sort of thing. My wife and I happen to be camping there on 7-8 September, we go there a couple times a year. One of my favorite places.

Comment

Moron got what he deserved. Sad that the bear had to be killed too.

Comment

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
            Moron got what he deserved. Sad that the bear had to be killed too.
            No, once a bear gets the taste of "long pig" in its mouth and sees how tasty they are and how easily they can be caught, the bear quickly looks for more of them to eat.
            "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Reminds me of that world class moron that went camping with his girlfriend to be "close to the bears" who he claimed "loved" him as on of their own. Needless to say the NPS Park Rangers later found them both dead ... killed by bears.

I really don't understand people like that

Comment

I don't understand either. Lance. I am for the bear in this case. Every time something happens-its shoot the animal. This blows.
                This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I worked in Denali National Park for two summers and have been through the park many times and there are grizzly bears all over the place however wild animals are scared of humans. One time I was out in the park and saw a grizzly bear charge a photographer and as soon as the grizzly got close he stopped turned around and ran in the opposite direction. If a bear attacks someone that person more than likely did something stupid to **** it off.
                  “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                  ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
                    One time I was out in the park and saw a grizzly bear charge a photographer and as soon as the grizzly got close he stopped turned around and ran in the opposite direction. If a bear attacks someone that person more than likely did something stupid to **** it off.
                    Agreed.

Sows protecting cubs, any bear protecting it's food, or surprising them, those are the three main reasons bears actually maul humans. Most "charges"are bluffs on the part of the bear to get the person to leave them alone. In my experience, black bears are more likely to be a bother than griz or brownies, they seem more inclined to stick around instead of running off. I think they are a bit more opportunistic. Juvenile delinquent bears are also often more of a pest than adults who have learned to stay away. When they first get kicked to the curb by mom some bears can make a real nuisance of themselves. Of course, people leaving their trash all over and encroaching on the bear's space just makes things worse.

Comment

I agree the blame for this guy's death rests with him. People who know nothing about animal behavior tend to act like idiots around animals.

I'm sorry the bear had to be put down, but JB's point about learning that humans are far easier pickings than many other species has merit.

Regards,
                      Dennis
                      If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

When back in Canada and hiking I have great respect for any bear....the ones that scare me the most are the cute little furs balls BECAUSE...where the hell is Momma???.......feet do your stuff and leave Dodge in an orderly manner....some campers/hikers keep a dirty camp site what with old food or pissing close to your tent/leanto and that has a tendency to attract bears and other critters... keep a clean site and remember this aint no cute teddy bear and keep a good distance between you and the bear.....me...about 1/2 a mile...I'm a chicken....

Comment

Always keep a clean camp. Where I live,and where I am,also has big cats. Here at my cousin's they have cougars,bobcats,and some sort of black panther. I saw the sumb**ch. I couldn't believe my eyes. He took my turkey I had just got with a bow and arrow.
                          They also have bears. As do we down home.
                          This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I grew up in the Rocky Mountains. We were taught that there were animals, bear, mountain lions, bobcats, coyotes and others that were best left alone. We were also taught that the best way to observe these animals was from a great distance. Anyone who thinks they can commune with nature by "being one with the animal" is ignorant. The hiker in Denali pushed the limits and nature took it's coarse. It is terrible that the bear was destroyed as well, but necessary. I would have liked to asked the bear if he needed ketchup with his meal?!?! Or did it taste like chicken?

Comment

Have enough of such encounters take place because of the stupidity of a few and you will soon find all but a select few of the National Parks closed to all but a privileged few.
                              “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X