My Remote is Full of Ants!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Remote is Full of Ants!

My TV remote wouldn't work, so I opened the battery compartment to look at the batteries and found the place full of tiny ants - hundreds of them.

Aside from wondering if they had caused my remote to stopped functioning, it once again had me asking: "Why the Hell do ants love to inhabit and run around frantically in locations where there's no possibility of finding food?

It happens a lot in our house. They're especially fond of places where books/magazines/papers, etc. are stacked horizontally.

Scouting out a possible new nest, perhaps?

Philip
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
    My TV remote wouldn't work, so I opened the battery compartment to look at the batteries and found the place full of tiny ants - hundreds of them.

Aside from wondering if they had caused my remote to stopped functioning, it once again had me asking: "Why the Hell do ants love to inhabit and run around frantically in locations where there's no possibility of finding food?

It happens a lot in our house. They're especially fond of places where books/magazines/papers, etc. are stacked horizontally.

Philip

Be afraid............be VERY afraid..........

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post

Philip
      Just be grateful they aren't in your sampot.
      My worst jump story:
      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
      No lie.

~
      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Dude.... look where you live.

At least they weren't Fire Ants.

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post

They were probably Pharoah ants

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharaoh_ant

Paul
          ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
          All human ills he can subdue,
          Or with a bauble or medal
          Can win mans heart for you;
          And many a blessing know to stew
          To make a megloamaniac bright;
          Give honour to the dainty Corse,
          The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
            Just be grateful they aren't in your sampot.
            They often are. But it's easier, and less embarrassing to shake the ants out of one's 'sampot' than ferreting them out of tightly-fitting undies.

Here, it's called a sinh. Worn by both men (at home mostly) and women.

These days, I wear it all the time.

Philip
            Last edited by PhilipLaos; 27 Aug 12, 10:47.
            "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

You remote is full of ants? Well my hovercraft is full of eels!!!!
              ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post

Or those nasty red what we called "**** Ants" that live in the jungles in South East Asia.

I do know in Western Washington the big black one build these six foot mounds of twigs in the pine forests for their homes.

Put out some of those little plastic bait traps for them to move into to become their permanent resting place.
                “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

We had them coming in under our front door. Kill them first. Put bait outside where pets can't get it. Then put baking soda and powder on your threshold,then draw 2 lines of chalk on the floor just inside. I haven't had them since. Native American logic for you.
                  This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Every summer we get 'em....
                    Everywhere!

Comment

PhilipLaos,

When you have an infested item, move it immediately to a different location, preferably with an ant barrier. The ant trail is thus cut off, and the existing ants are in a state of panic. You can try to clean the incoming ant trail right away, but I just usually wait for them to give up looking for the lost colony so it is easier for me to clean their chemical trail with detergent/bleach and not have ants crawling all over me or the cleaning tools. Afterwards, move the infested item to a location that you know is ant free and the will abandon the item in a effort to locate the mother colony/nest.

Ants can climb and navigate just about anything, but there are three things they won't do, swim, walk across oil, or cross a jagged minefield such as diatomaceous earth. DE consist of broken eggshells from diatoms.Those are your barriers. A table with it's legs set into cans filled with water or oil works wonders. Have a ring of DE around those cans and no ant can penetrate.

DE is available is a powder form. A lot of flea powders for pets are primarily DE. It is sometime available in furniture outlets to get rid of bed-bugs. It may also be available in a chalk form. I used the chalk before to draw a barrier many times before it became outlawed here in the states.
                      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Must be why they won't cross the powder,baking soda,and chalk.
                        Have to put water in the tops of our hummingbird feeders too.
                        This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Jeez Phil...just get up and turn the TV off manually...leave the ants be..
                          ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                          IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

...really like your dress, though....
                            ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                            IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
                              We had them coming in under our front door. Kill them first. Put bait outside where pets can't get it. Then put baking soda and powder on your threshold,then draw 2 lines of chalk on the floor just inside. I haven't had them since. Native American logic for you.
                              I don't want to get the ants out of our house altogether. They are a valuable part of out domestic ecosystem.

I just want to keep them out of my electronic devices..............and my wine.

Since we live in the middle of a forest, we share our space with a whole host of creatures including lots of reptiles, snakes and small mammals that can get into our roof spaces, wall cavities, etc., where they often die from natural causes.

And then the dead animal carcasses start to stink the place out with the horrible smell of rotting flesh. But not for long. Less than a day. That's because the bodies are immediately located by hundreds of ants that start to devour the rotting flesh, rendering the dead bodies smell-less.

So, on balance, I appreciate our ants.

I guess our roof spaces must be full of the stripped skeletons of small mammals and geckos by now.

I ain't going up there.....

Philip
                              Last edited by PhilipLaos; 01 Sep 12, 23:28.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X