Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Psychology - Do you think avatars have an effect on your response to posters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Psychology - Do you think avatars have an effect on your response to posters?

Here's a question that popped into my head. Do you think avatars have a subtle psychological effect on how posters respond to each other?

Body language is a key component in any conversation. Body language conveys as much mood as vocal inflection. And you have neither on the forums. All you have is a text box telling you you're wrong and the only image you have to link to said text box is an avatar image and maybe a signature. Does this affect how you respond? Will having a shouting R Lee Ermy draw more indignant responses then a friendly looking avi or neutral image?

Could this explain why I'm more tolerant of PhillipLaos than I am of slickmeister?

Just a thought.
    Yes
    54.29%
    No
    45.71%
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

No.

However, if someone presents their name and/or a picture, it has a positive effect on me. I feel it is closer to/easier to establish real communication.

So actually, I should have voted yes, because the people who put pictures of themselves in their avatars do affect me positively.

Comment

I like the avatars depicting pretty women and other pleasant scenes. No matter how annoying Half Pint gets, his buxom beer waitress always makes me fell better.

What I can't figure is Pirateship1982: is he Sybill or or something with all of his avatar changes?

Rimshot
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Not in the least. I go by content, not some silly picture.

Besides, if I went by that criteria, NOBODY would ever take our friend Slick seriously simply because it's damned hard to take Screamin' Sam Kinnison seriously.
        "If you want to have some fun, jine the cavalry"

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
          I like the avatars depicting pretty women and other pleasant scenes. No matter how annoying Half Pint gets, his buxom beer waitress always makes me fell better.

What I can't figure is Pirateship1982: is he Sybill or or something with all of his avatar changes?

Rimshot
          Don't know who Sybill is. But I get bored easy and change as mood or season dictates.

Right now I have my favorite Dark Tower character. The psychotic AI train was more entertaining than all the others.
          A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Wittenberg View Post
            Not in the least. I go by content, not some silly picture.

Besides, if I went by that criteria, NOBODY would ever take our friend Slick seriously simply because it's damned hard to take Screamin' Sam Kinnison seriously.
            And here I was thinking that you really are the uptight fuddy-duddy depicted by your avatar.

Rimshot

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
            Don't know who Sybill is. But I get bored easy and change as mood or season dictates.
            Sybil

Yep, sounds about right to me.
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

I have been blasted for some avatars and rep'd for others.

Almost got banned for one avatar. Really got some panties twisted I guess.

I'd say there is some avatar reaction syndrome, no doubt
              "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Most of the time no, but I definitely believe there is because sometimes the avatar influences me. There is one here that particularly drives me crazy.

Comment

No. It is the person not the picture. One user name irks me though, and that is Ubermensch. I am surprised that is allowed to stand.

I don't figure they would allow nazi superman, and the meanings are the same in my book.

Best regards,
                  Dennis
                  If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

For some > Yes, for others > No.

Hard to say, I think.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

Rimshot
                      PS is not the only one that changes from day to day. We have many. I find it annoying and makes it hard to figuer out why all the changes.

Stick with your screaming face Marc, it seems to fit and that is a positive for me.
                      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

A little bit, depends really. If the words being written correspond to the 'emotional' expression of the avatar, it may have some effect. Otherwise, no effect.

There are a few avatars that are undesirable though.

I possess the greatest avatar in ACG history.

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
                          A little bit, depends really. If the words being written correspond to the 'emotional' expression of the avatar, it may have some effect. Otherwise, no effect.

There are a few avatars that are undesirable though.

I possess the greatest avatar in ACG history.
                          Do you really look like a big mouth?
                          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                            Do you really look like a big mouth?
                            Do you have boobs ?
                            There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

Nope. But I do get annoyed if somebody else uses the same avatar though. I really should get a new, personal, one but being technologically incontinent...makes it difficult.
                              Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X