X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right to die

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/video/paral...211036752.html

Hi all,

It's truly a sad sight to bear. While we must all uphold and value life, I think an individual's choice (for one who can still make one) must be superior to the right of the state to dictate whether they want to continue life or not.

It's very hard to imagine living while so paralyzed, and to want to die and yet be prevented by the authority, I think it's a travesty.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
    "We have no white flag."

I'm in total agreement.

A few years back we had the case in FL were the husband wanted to take is wife off life support per her wishes. The state and her parnets would not let them take her off life support. She continued to suffer until she died while at the same time the State of FL excuted a man in a humane way. Mixed up imo.

It's not the states busniess.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

How about the inmates doing Life without Parole?

Should they have the right to die?
      "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post

NO

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
          NO
          You'd rather we pay $50k a year for 50 years to keep some scumbag alive?
          "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

That is where the death penalty might be more humane than life without parole.
            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
              NO
              Afraid I have to agree with John on this one. Thought the idea was, when convicted, the dirtbags give up all ability to call their own shots.

That said, all they'd need to do is rat on another inmate and someone would shank 'em pretty durn quick. Death by flapping gums would be easy if they had the guts to die.
              Skip

Comment

Comparing lifers in prison and a right to die for someone who is ill are two completely different things. One is a person who has been sentenced for a crime - in which the unhappiness of being locked up is a part of the sentence. The other is, in this case, a man whose life is a nightmare due to an illness and who wants to be given the choice to live and die with some dignity and relief from the pain. It is an absolutely tragic story and the pain this man and his family are experiencing is simply not warranted.

I do not think euthanasia should necessarily be easily available (there should be a proper process of evaluation to be fulfilled) but it should be done on a case by case basis and doctors be allowed to give an injection so the person dies painlessly - and this man clearly wants to end it. The state is torturing him and his family by forcing doctors not to help. It is immoral.
                "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

YES

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                    That is where the death penalty might be more humane than life without parole.
                    My pov as well. Scared as hell for sure but it is over. Life of untold number of years sounds like hell on earth to me.

Paul, if it's only about money then it cannot be about morals.

Comment

The only thing that scares me is Alzheimer's or some other dementia. I do not want to live like that, or cause a burden to others in that state.

I have a plan to deal with the situation if it arises. I do not see where the state has any right as long as no one other than me is in danger to interfere in the process.

Unfortunately, when I need the plan the condition will cause me not to remember it!

Put me down as another vote for keeping the lifers in the joint until the end of their mortal existence without the right to choose when that end will be.

Regards,
                      Dennis
                      If stupid was a criminal offense Sea Lion believers would be doing life.

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Comment

I believe that both Oregon and Washington both have state laws that allow Doctors to prescribe life ending medications, issued after a person meets strict standards and mental checks etc.

Yes, Oregon was the original, law on the books since 1997.

http://public.health.oregon.gov/Prov...ges/index.aspx

On October 27, 1997 Oregon enacted the Death with Dignity Act which allows terminally-ill Oregonians to end their lives through the voluntary self-administration of lethal medications, expressly prescribed by a physician for that purpose. The Oregon Death with Dignity Act requires the Oregon Health Authority to collect information about the patients and physicians who participate in the Act, and publish an annual statistical report.
                        However it would not apply in this case, terminally ill only.

However it fits in with the subject. Just for completeness, here is the annual report from the state:

http://public.health.oregon.gov/Prov...nts/year14.pdf

Looks like about 2/3 of those receiving the Prescription actually complete the act.
                        Last edited by Combat Engineer; 17 Aug 12, 06:42.
                        “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                        “To talk of many things:
                        Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                        Of cabbages—and kings—
                        And why the sea is boiling hot—
                        And whether pigs have wings.”
                        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Walk a fine line on this topic. While there is do not resuscitate wishes, request to withhold treatment when the outcome is terminal, and living wills that individuals can have made up ahead of time, the last thing you want is Obama Care making that determination for you.
                          “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

I'd cap their costs at $10K per year....if they want better food/amenities/sleeping bags they're gonna have to work for it.....

Comment

I suspect cost is mostly a function of security not upkeep?
                              Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X