Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post war Stock activity

Some interesting numbers for you day traders:

DOW % Change (initial reaction 6 months later)
    Before After
    Fall of France -17.1 +7.0
    Korean War -12.0 +19.2
    Cuban Missle Crisis -9.4 +28.7
    Gulf War I -4.3 +18.7

Which Sectors

Any ideas which sectors will go up the most?
    "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

C'mon Wall Street, don't be slow.
      Man, this war's a Go-Go.
      There's plenty of good money to be made
      by supplying the Army with the tools of the trade.
      Just hope and pray that when we drop the bomb,
      we drop it on ol' Saddam.

And it's one, two, three - what are we fighting for?
      I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Re: Which Sectors

Originally posted by Chuck
        Construction, and Oil Production - e.g., Halliburton, former CEO Dick Cheney.

Pharmaceuticals - e.g., Gilead, former CEO Donald Rumsfeld.

Telecommunications, and Media - e.g., News Corp, CEO Rupert Murdoch.

Investment Banking, and Consulting - e.g., Trireme Partners, L.P., Managing Partner Richard Perle.

Defense Contractors - too numerous to list, but there are a lot of weapons that need to be replaced. At $2 Million a pop, those Cruise Missiles are truly "smart weapons". Smart, that is, if you have the contract to replace all of those that were fired off at $10 tents, and cardboard decoys...
        I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

Re: Re: Which Sectors

Originally posted by JAMiAM

Investment Banking, and Consulting - e.g., Trireme Partners, L.P., Managing Partner Richard Perle.

Defense Contractors - too numerous to list, but there are a lot of weapons that need to be replaced. At $2 Million a pop, those Cruise Missiles are truly "smart weapons". Smart, that is, if you have the contract to replace all of those that were fired off at $10 tents, and cardboard decoys...
          Ahh c'mon. If I wanted to waste the time I'm sure I could pull up a slew of liberals in Washington who also have stocks/interests in the same or similar companies.

This is B.S.

It's no secret that every country involved in a war (on the winning side ) profits from it.

Comment

Re: Which Sectors

Originally posted by Chuck
            LOL, hopefully the ones I have money in

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Which Sectors

Originally posted by SkyVon

Ahh c'mon. If I wanted to waste the time I'm sure I could pull up a slew of liberals in Washington who also have stocks/interests in the same or similar companies.

This is B.S.

But, they aren't in power, making the decisions, and running the show, are they? They're not the ones who are doling out contracts - before, during, and after the fact. Like the Army Corp of Engineers no contest, no open bid allowed, award of a $7 Billion contract to Halliburton. How much is going into a trust fund in some Cayman Islands bank for Cheney & Co on that one?

It's no secret that every country involved in a war (on the winning side ) profits from it.
              But, the question goes begged...does that make it Just to use that reasoning to instigate a war, particularly when those true motives are obscured by a torrent of rhetoric and lies?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Sectors

But, the question goes begged...does that make it Just to use that reasoning to instigate a war, particularly when those true motives are obscured by a torrent of rhetoric and lies?

Fess up, your real name is Oliver Stone...isn't it?

Comment

Re: Re: Which Sectors

Are you sure some of these stocks aren't overvalued right now? I think the post-war boom may of been factored in already:

Halliburton has gone from an August 02 price of $9.00 to today's price of $22.66.

Gilead has gone from an February 03 price of $32.00 to today's price of $45.35.

Maybe a broad index ETF is the way to go for a short term upturn in the market.
                  "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

To be honest, I don't think the war will effect the mood on the DOW. In fact, Pharmaceuticals, which in the past have moved against the swing of the DOW have even subbumb in the last couple of years. At best, investers might look to break even over the next few months.

Alot of financial companies are seeking out political advice, and I don't think they like the picture being painted. Bush kicked off his re-election campaign last week with his speech declaring the combat phase of "IRAQI FREEDOM" complete. As a CNN correspondent said, he's campaigning not as the President of the United States, but as the Commander IN Chief (CINC). Democrats are trying to respond to this, but I don't believe it's taking the proper course.

Bush's hands are tied right now. He can't do too much during the re-election campaign. He needs to focus on domestic issues. Internationally, Bush will pursue diplomacy. Depending on the outcome of the elections, that could change real quick. People who once questioned whether or not the US might be willing to go to war in Korea are increasingly becoming more silent. There are plenty of rumors floating about right now. These are giving investors some doubts.

The short term might look positive for the market. Yet, I believe the future is really in question. I had a conversation with investors recently. One experienced guy said he planned to hang in a few more months to try and recover some of his earlier looses. He'll be overjoyed if he can just break even. Then he'll wait and pray.

I'm no economic analysts. Yet, politically, I believe the next twenty to twenty-four months will be at the very least "interesting."
                    "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Sectors

Fess up, your real name is Oliver Stone...isn't it?
                      No...Coppola. Can't you tell by the choice of avatar?

Comment

Jam,
                        Do you believe the profit motive _was_ the _real_ motive for the war?
                        ...a man that can stand up for a principle and sit down on his own stool.
                        -the Firesign Theatre

Comment

Originally posted by Tiberius
                          Jam,
                          Do you believe the profit motive _was_ the _real_ motive for the war?
                          Unfortunately, a simple, one word answer - "yes" or "no" - would be insufficient, even for such a pointed, one line question.

I felt, and continue to feel, that the rush to war was a monumental mistake, that will have long lasting repercussions, domestically, and internationally. And, at the risk of egging on Sky Von, and sounding like a conspiracy theorist, there are so many facets of the war to consider, that it is hard to honestly say that any one of them are the "real_motive".

I think the primary one was cheap politicking, to gain some feathers to stick in Bush's reelection hat. However, after setting their sights on Saddam, shortly after the failure to capture Osama, the conduct of the buildup, prosecution, and aftermath of the war have definitely taken on the air of "business as usual" and by any means.

When you look at the key players in the hawk's nest in the administration, and the particular business ties that they have, I do see a lot of conflicts. When those that push the hardest for a controversial course of action, stand to make the most money from it, then you have to wonder where idealist rhetoric ends, and the payoff begins.

And don't even get me started on the "Holy War" aspect of this...in the words of our CiC..."crusade"...

There are so many layers to this onion, and they bring a tear, at every turn...

Comment

Excellent points. One of the main things to get out of this is that no matter how you feel about the war itself, the Bush adminstration is a monumental botch-up. Even if profit wasn't the _only_ reason I'm sure it figured prominently in the thinking of much of the administration.
                            ...a man that can stand up for a principle and sit down on his own stool.
                            -the Firesign Theatre

Comment

The value of rebuilding Iraq is already in the price of the various companies who will benefit so it is pointless to buy them now in hopes of getting in on the action.

Oil prices are now $25 a barrel and will continue to drop as Iraqi oil returns to the oil market. This action will result in a broad economic stimulis around the globe, so simply buy index funds to reap the benefits of a rebounding economy.
                              Last edited by Tex; 07 May 03, 15:58.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X