• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the US a Racist Country?

I thought this type of junk was over with:

Georgians Plan Whites-Only Prom Party

By Elliot Minor, Associated Press Writer

ALBANY, Ga. - A year after holding their first integrated prom, some students at Taylor County High School have decided to again hold a separate, private party for whites only.

While many whites say they still plan to attend next week's integrated prom, the decision to hold the whites-only prom this Friday saddened senior Gerica McCrary, who helped organize last year's dance.

"I cried," said McCrary, who is black. "The black juniors said, 'Our prom is open to everyone. If you want to come, come.'"

Juniors are in charge of planning the prom each year and last year they decided to have just one dance the first integrated prom in 31 years in the rural Georgia county 150 miles south of Atlanta.

Until then, parents and students organized separate proms for whites and blacks after school officials stopped sponsoring dances, in part because they wanted to avoid problems arising from interracial dating.

This year, a small number of white juniors decided they wanted a separate prom.

"They influenced the others," said McCrary, who plans to major in biology at Columbus State University. "They didn't vote on anything. They said, 'This is what we're going to do.'"

The school has 439 students, 232 of them black. McCrary and a white friend passed out fliers informing students of all races that they would be welcome at the May 9 prom at nearby Fort Valley State University.

The private prom is Friday night 50 miles away in Columbus.

Erin Posey, a white senior, said the entire junior class joined together in hosting last year's prom, but this year's junior class wasn't as unified.

"I think a lot of seniors were disappointed," she said. "Now we have to choose between two groups of friends."

Posey plans to attend both proms.

"I had some white friends who were not going to the other (inclusive) prom," she said. "I wanted to have time with everybody. I'll have a lot of (black) friends there, too. A lot more of the seniors are going to be at the mixed one."

After school integration, separate proms were common in the rural South, but Taylor County was among the last to cling to the practice.

Glenda Latimore, a 1972 graduate, was in the first class to have separate black and white proms. Now her 16-year-old son, Gerard, is preparing for prom night.

As the black junior class president, her son helped organize the open-to-all prom. The class also has a white president.

"I would have liked to see it together this year," said Latimore, an outfielder on the school's baseball team. "My class would have, too. It just didn't happen this year."

Glenda Latimore said relatives in Philadelphia and New Jersey laugh when they read about Taylor County's prom. She said residents here are "nice and friendly," but they still have a problem with proms.

"It seems like it's something secret," she said. "The white people are afraid to speak up against the separation.

"But I went to a black prom and I had fun," she said. "It didn't kill me, so I tell my son, 'Just go to the prom and have fun. Don't come out hating anyone.'"
    "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Re: Is the US a Racist Country?

Originally posted by Chuck
    I thought this type of junk was over with:

Nope...bigotry is alive and thriving in this country. Sadly to say...

Now, someone needs to send Chuck some game turns...for the good of the site...
    I have no problem at all with being proved wrong. Especially when being proved wrong leaves the world a better place, than being proved right...

Comment

What the hell is with the Black Student President and the White Student President? Sherman should have done a lot more burning obviously...
      Last edited by Chuck?; 03 May 03, 19:02.

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck
        What the hell is with the Black Student President and the White Student President? Sherman should have done a lot more burning obviously...
        The only reason that would justify having two Presidents based on color would be if whites held an overwhelming majority over black students. That doesn't exists. So I really have no clue as to what the heck they are thinking.

Racism is the bi-product of fear. In this case, parents are scared their child will show up for the prom with someone of another color. Since Racism is taught, by continuing to hold segregated proms or parties, they ensure the problem won't go away. Had this stopped thirty years ago, I can assure you, parents would likely have nothing to fear.

I would like to say there are organizations who read this information and mobilizes to change it. However, that really isn't the case. The NAACP and Rainbow Coalitions are populated with wannabe politicians more concerned with making the nightly news than anything else. They tackle issues that does little bring about change.

Ex: The NAACP is fighting a large battle over the Confederate Flag. To be honest, I don't give a hoot. To me, the flag represents how humanity defeated ignorance. (I know the Civil War was about more than slavery.) So I could care less if people want to honor that flag. No red-neck, bone-headed, racist would dare grab that flag and his white suit and parade in a black neighborhood, believe me!

Racism is taught. No one is doing much to show these kids this kind of behavior is wrong. Protesting the white's only party would be the first option I would consider. I would also be prepared to bus in large numbers of kids to the prom to further isolate the ideal. Police and a well-organized operation ensures the peace and prevents problems. The goal is not to hurt the students. You just have to show them how wrong their parents are. Hopefully, when they have kids, they will teach them better.

Racism still exists in America to a pathetic degree. I've been pulled over by white cops for reasons I know had nothing to do with my driving. I saw it in school when some parents acted shocked and dismayed I black student was as smart as their children.

I've also seen how some minorities embrace racism both to oppress others, and benefit from being oppressed. The black community is filled with ineffective leaders who want to blame "the white man" for all the community's problems. If you point that out, you're automatically labeled an uncle tom. I actually view this class with more hatred than I do bigotry.

Tragically, racism is alive in America. It's not as bad as it was forty years ago, but it's still a problem that must be combatted.
        "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

Yes I agree. The NAACP and Rainbow Coalitions seem more interested in high profile cases than ordinary problems of people.

I would say the parents are behind the seperate proms, class presidents, ect at the school rather than the students. What's next, seperate cafeterias for the students? Seperate drinking fountains?

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

Is the US a racist country?NO.

Are there people who (no matter what racial or ethnic background)hate?Why yes,and no matter how progressive the country becomes there will always be these types.

Can legislation and teaching take care of these problems?Only to a point before such methods breed reactionaries of their own.You cannot legislate or tell people how to feel in their hearts and minds.Understanding and acceptance are things that come upon a personal,and at times with a certain maturity,level.

As far as the prom mentioned goes,no one is being forced to attend,and it is a privately sponsored event,and i am sure that the kids involved will let their maturity level be known by which one they DECIDE to attend.

Comment

Why is this thread titled "Is the US a racist country?" instead of "Is Georgia a racist state?". Because that's what is really going and what the real issue is. Racist beliefs can be characterized regionally. This kind of thing would never generate any enthusiasm in a state like California where people are roused only artificially from a fundamental indifference.

Yes I agree. The NAACP and Rainbow Coalitions seem more interested in high profile cases than ordinary problems of people.
              This kind of comment is also suspect. Is the poster sympathetic with the declared aims of the NAACP and the Rainbow Coalition? Is the poster disappointed with their performance under their own standards? It's hard to say.

Should something be done about a whites only prom? Under what authority? If their parents allow it and provide for it, not much can be done and it is their parents that are the problem in the first place. These are, after all, a bunch of high school students.
              Get the US out of NATO, now!

Comment

Originally posted by SparceMatrix
                Why is this thread titled "Is the US a racist country?" instead of "Is Georgia a racist state?". Because that's what is really going and what the real issue is.
                I don't think this part is true.Racism is on more of an indvidual level now than an institutional one.Pegging an entire state as racist because of the actions of some of its citizens(or legislature,if you want to include the flag flap though in my opinion that was more a knee jerk political correctness action on both parts.)

Going by that i could state that Pennsylvania is a racist state,as we did and still do have one of the largest clan memberships in the country,though i believe we are not.Matters of race in this country are complicated and it is possible to find varying degrees of racism within a single community let alone state.

Almost everyone has said something that could be considered racist or construed as a racist thought,does that make one a racist though,because of one action?

Comment

Almost everyone has said something that could be considered racist or construed as a racist thought,does that make one a racist though,because of one action?
                  What people do or do not "consider" or "construe" as racist and what is actually racist are too often two entirely different things. Racism is a rather peculiar set of beliefs. Racists have been influential enough to effect the language and social habits and those innocent of such beliefs can easily risk being confused with a racist. People can be so confused for a variety of reasons. They may stumble accross real victims of racism who have become jumpy about such language for good reason. They may also be mistakenly identified as a racist by real racists. And they may be artificially posed as a racist by various political pimps from many races who know better and are just jerking people around.
                  Get the US out of NATO, now!

Comment

Why is this thread titled "Is the US a racist country?" instead of "Is Georgia a racist state?". Because that's what is really going and what the real issue is. Racist beliefs can be characterized regionally. This kind of thing would never generate any enthusiasm in a state like California where people are roused only artificially from a fundamental indifference.

This kind of comment is also suspect. Is the poster sympathetic with the declared aims of the NAACP and the Rainbow Coalition? Is the poster disappointed with their performance under their own standards? It's hard to say.

Should something be done about a whites only prom? Under what authority? If their parents allow it and provide for it, not much can be done and it is their parents that are the problem in the first place. These are, after all, a bunch of high school students.
                    I understand your position and desire to see post supported with accurate information. However, I do believe we should establish some trust in the honesty of the poster to produce accurate, well-researched information.

I served as Youth Council President for my district's NAACP branches 93-95. Though, I was about 16yrs, my position gave me the same power any NAACP president had. Everyone was happy with my administration as long as I delivered speeches blasting the Republican Party. The moment I opened my mouth against local leaders, I came under fire.
                    "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

This kind of thing would never generate any enthusiasm in a state like California where people are roused only artificially from a fundamental indifference.
                      This statement is suspect. Does the poster have any proof that no people in California would be enthusiastic about a seperate prom?

Another suspect assertion. Does the poster have evidence that students have to go to a prom if their parents want them to go?
                      Last edited by Chuck?; 05 May 03, 08:43.

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

Why is this thread titled "Is the US a racist country?" instead of "Is Georgia a racist state?".
                        Maybe it should be titled is 'Is Albany, Ga a Racist Town?' or perhaps 'Is Taylor County a Racist County'? Who cares?

What is your opinion on separate proms and interracial dating by the way? I'm against seperate proms and for interracial dating.
                        Last edited by Chuck?; 04 May 03, 15:53.

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

Originally posted by John Paul
                          Can legislation and teaching take care of these problems?Only to a point before such methods breed reactionaries of their own.You cannot legislate or tell people how to feel in their hearts and minds.Understanding and acceptance are things that come upon a personal,and at times with a certain maturity,level.
                          Legislation can help. It took laws to get rid of slavery and the 'Jim Crow' culture. Did slave owners suddenly undergo a change of heart and mind at the end of the Civil War? No. However news legislation passed by Congress, backed by the rifles of soldiers, forced them to free their slaves.

Yet despite this I'm against sending the infantry down to Albany, GA to force an integrated prom. This is a private event so the different groups can meet. However I'm not sure about the seperate class presidents based upon race. This might be unconstitutional.
                          Last edited by Chuck?; 04 May 03, 22:08.

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

Originally posted by John Paul

To be a racist is to make decisions at least partly based upon race. It can be a white southern bigot who won't do business with a black person or a government department that gives a 'bonus' to minority candidates for jobs.

Basically when someone has a racist thought they are a racist at that moment. However the next day they may not be operating with the same thought pattern so they are no longer racist. I don't know how long one has to have racist motivations to be considered to have a 'racist personality'.
                            Last edited by Chuck?; 06 May 03, 17:30.

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

Sadly I think there will always be people in this world who will take exception to others simply on the basis that ' He is different to me'.

Here in Ireland there was very little racism until about ten years ago. But now with so much immigration it is becoming an issue. Now while immigrants make their choices its the children of these immigrants that are born here who I feel sorry for. Irish citizens they will be but for sure they will have problems down the road because of their colour, race or creed. I hope it is not like this but if human nature is a guide there is bound to be some of it.
                              http://www.irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X