Anti-Americanism ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-Americanism ?

Lately I've noticed there seems to be a split developing among forum posters on the site.

There is a, mainly American, right-wing conservative group and a liberal more left leaning group which seems to be centred mainly in Europe.
    This second group is often accused of being anti-american because of their stance on various issues. Expanding on that, even myself, an ardent admirer of what the US stands for, can be called anti-american in view of some of the posts I've submitted.

There appears to be misunderstandings of some sort between opposition to a country and opposition to it's policies. As a proud Canadian, I have variously supported and opposed different policies of my country's government.

But when I support a given policy and somebody informs me of their opposition to that policy, I don't view them as being anti-Canadian. I simply recognise that they have a different opinion than me.

I guess in the end, that is a major part of what the US itself stands for.
    Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Re: Anti-Americanism ?

Originally posted by tigersqn
    Lately I've noticed there seems to be a split developing among forum posters on the site.

There is a, mainly American, right-wing conservative group and a liberal more left leaning group which seems to be centred mainly in Europe.
    This second group is often accused of being anti-american because of their stance on various issues. Expanding on that, even myself, an ardent admirer of what the US stands for, can be called anti-american in view of some of the posts I've submitted.

There appears to be misunderstandings of some sort between opposition to a country and opposition to it's policies. As a proud Canadian, I have variously supported and opposed different policies of my country's government.

But when I support a given policy and somebody informs me of their opposition to that policy, I don't view them as being anti-Canadian. I simply recognise that they have a different opinion than me.

I guess in the end, that is a major part of what the US itself stands for.
    Hey Tigersqn do I have to kiss you Canadian A**

I realy regreat this low level of argues, bring by some news members.

By instance with cheetah and deltapooh we had lot of rich quotes. Cheetah has it's opinion, they are different from mine OK, we are both in democratic country. We argue with heart, passion but with respect of each other. And It tell it proudly its opinion is as respectable as mine.

Tigersqn, in one of your quote you tell rightly,that we are against US administration managing this war, not against USA or US people. That's true

As some people here, find superliar ( nickname for Big Jack) a bad guy, it's true for lot of things, I just agree with him about his veto. Not against War itself but just on the way it was driven by GWB.

Is this affirmation a matter of civil war on this forum ??

I hope not

Best Regards to you all World citizen

Brothers if you differ from me you don't hurt me you make me richer. ( Antoine De Saint Exupéry)

Der Wanderer
    The Best weapon ever:a good Joke. The Best shield ever: Humour
    JLBETIN© Aka Der Wanderer TOAW Section Leader is a █ WHQ/SZO/XG/Gamesquad® product since 01/2003
    The Birth of European Army Tournament round Three is opened

Comment

Re: Re: Anti-Americanism ?

Originally posted by jlbetin

Hey Tigersqn do I have to kiss you Canadian A**

I realy regreat this low level of argues, bring by some news members.

By instance with cheetah and deltapooh we had lot of rich quotes. Cheetah has it's opinion, they are different from mine OK, we are both in democratic country. We argue with heart, passion but with respect of each other. And It tell it proudly its opinion is as respectable as mine.

Tigersqn, in one of your quote you tell rightly,that we are against US administration managing this war, not against USA or US people. That's true

As some people here, find superliar ( nickname for Big Jack) a bad guy, it's true for lot of things, I just agree with him about his veto. Not against War itself but just on the way it was driven by GWB.

Is this affirmation a matter of civil war on this forum ??

I hope not

Best Regards to you all World citizen

Brothers if you differ from me you don't hurt me you make me richer. ( Antoine De Saint Exupéry)

Der Wanderer
      jlbetin,

Thanks for kind words, but next time refer me as a person -- "he" instead of "it" you make me sound like a robot "made in USA"

I kind of cringed at "it," but I'm sure I am proud of "it."

Anyway, I don't look at you as an anti-American person, just opposed to USA's foreign policy as I am opposed to your French foreign policy. What shocks me the most is that the rest of world thinks it is self-righteous and has somehow a higher moral authority over us lowly meek Americans!

I do acknowledge that Americans, including myself, can be quite arrogant and self-righteous, but why must the world point out the flaws and act as if our flaws all of a sudden make America an evil and a potential dangerous country in the world? This is what make many of us in America upset.

jlbetin, this is what Belgium is trying to do. That is why I am tired of that kind of crap. While, I do admit "Witness" might have said in wrong way, nevertheless, he or has a good point, and he've voiced his on this forum.

America is not in any way higher on moral ground than the rest of world, and I ask the world do the same thing to us.

Thanks,
      Dan
      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Anyone who disagrees with my point of view is anti-American

So remember agree with me and all of you will be A-OK in my book

Comment

Dan,

Sorry for it, I hope that I don't "hit" you

I know very few about this new begium law, I 'll check on internet in French speaking WWW. As soon IT will be clearer, I will make you an abstract.

Best Regards

Der Wanderer
          JLBETIN© Aka Der Wanderer TOAW Section Leader is a █ WHQ/SZO/XG/Gamesquad® product since 01/2003

Comment

Dan,

Sorry for it, I hope that I don't "hit" you

I know very few about this new begium law, I 'll check on internet in French speaking WWW. As soon IT will be clearer, I will make you an abstract.

Best Regards

Der Wanderer
            jlbetin,

You know I always confuse with Belgium with beagles....always loved beagles...they're real cute...could it be Belgium full of beagles....

A joke,
            Dan
            Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772

jlbetin,

You know I always confuse with Belgium with beagles....always loved beagles...they're real cute...could it be Belgium full of beagles....

A joke,
              Dan
              As Beagles are good for Fox hunting you will be more lucky to find them in UK rather than in Belgium, ask Prince Charles.
              In Belgium you will find some "Bouvier des Flandres", nice dog too

Hey Cheetah , the dog not the girl, tsssss

Der Wanderer
              Attached Files

Comment

As Beagles are good for Fox hunting you will be more lucky to find them in UK rather than in Belgium, ask Prince Charles.
                In Belgium you will find some "Bouvier des Flandres", nice dog too

Hey Cheetah , the dog not the girl, tsssss

Der Wanderer
                What dog?
                Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Anti-Americanism ?

I do acknowledge that Americans, including myself, can be quite arrogant and self-righteous, but why must the world point out the flaws and act as if our flaws all of a sudden make America an evil and a potential dangerous country in the world? This is what make many of us in America upset.

Dan

I think it might be because, as the most powerful country in the world and it's only superpower, many in the rest of the world would like to see the US use it's power more judiciously.

When a powerful nation such as the US follows the belligerent policies that are currently in vogue, many tend to think that they are in a sense the bully of the school yard.

Comment

jlbetin,

What dog? All I can see is the girl...a very beautiful girl...

Of course, I do like the dog in the picture....

Too bad I can't upload my old picture of Nick -- a mixed breed black labador & retriever -- makes a great dog!

I had him for nearly seven or eight years until he was diagnosised with a tumor in 1993. He had to be put to sleep....

I never had a dog until two years ago -- my family got a cain terrier, a great dog, named Oscar, actually, my little brother named this dog himself, what a brat he is! I wanted to rename him Nick II, but my family had already become accustomed to Oscar...geez...

I'd show it to you...

Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Anti-Americanism ?

Originally posted by tigersqn

I think it might be because, as the most powerful country in the world and it's only superpower, many in the rest of the world would like to see the US use it's power more judiciously.

When a powerful nation such as the US follows the belligerent policies that are currently in vogue, many tend to think that they are in a sense the bully of the school yard.
                      I understand.

What terrifies me the most is the word -- "judiciously."

Just how "judiciously" should the USA be in the realm of foreign policy? After all, every country, including yours truly, has its own foreign agenda. No one is exempt from not using such powers judiciously.

While, I understand America as the lone superpower, it doesn't mean there aren't major world powers. I mean, for all harsh criticism and French jokes, France is still a vital major world power, Germany, Great Britain, Russia, and China all are major powers in their own right.

Tigersqn, you want us to use the power judiciously, so do we to these countries above. We do want to make sure these countries are using their powers in ways not harmful to our foreign policy or the projecting of our force just as theses countries are asking us of the same thing.

The problem is the word, "judiciously," just what is the definition of this word? I mean, I do know what this means, yes, but that's not what I mean, to what extent should the powers be judicious?

Sorry if I sound too repetitive...but I feel I must emphasize the grey area of how "judicious" the powers should be.

Best regards,
                      Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

M little dog

I'm proud to present you Athena, young lady of 2 years
                        it is a "Bouvier Bernois", 40 Kgs of pure muscle, believe when it pull me it's really hard to stand up.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Re: M little dog

I'm proud to present you Athena, young lady of 2 years
                          it is a "Bouvier Bernois", 40 Kgs of pure muscle, believe when it pull me it's really hard to stand up.
                          2 years?! That looked like a three or four yrs old dog!

Are you planning to breed that dog? I know how you feel when the dog pulls on you...but you gonna love it anyway!

My favorite moment with Nick was any time he stood up on me, licking my cheek...

He's a big dog...over 50 kgs, but strong and sleek. He sheds little, but I liked to groom him once a week, and give him a bath once a month (yes, my family and I are clean freaks). I usually take him outside for a bit more than an hour.

What about yours?

Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anti-Americanism ?

I understand.

Sorry if I sound too repetitive...but I feel I must emphasize the grey area of how "judicious" the powers should be.

Best regards,
                            Dan
                            It is one of the most relative word. How to weight an action on a Judicious side.
                            What is judicious for you that can be Judicious for me, or in the same time for Kraut or TigerSqn.

It would be judicious to find the least common agrement between us and so on

Bla Bla bla

I think my quote is not very Judicious

Der Wanderer

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anti-Americanism ?

I understand.

Just how "judiciously" should the USA be in the realm of foreign policy? After all, every country, including yours truly, has its own foreign agenda. No one is exempt from not using such powers judiciously.

While, I understand America as the lone superpower, it doesn't mean there aren't major world powers. I mean, for all harsh criticism and French jokes, France is still a vital major world power, Germany, Great Britain, Russia, and China all are major powers in their own right.

Tigersqn, you want us to use the power judiciously, so do we to these countries above. We do want to make sure these countries are using their powers in ways not harmful to our foreign policy or the projecting of our force just as theses countries are asking us of the same thing.

The problem is the word, "judiciously," just what is the definition of this word? I mean, I do know what this means, yes, but that's not what I mean, to what extent should the powers be judicious?

Best regards,
                              Dan
                              I guess I can provide a few examples since I'm not really sure about the use of the word in this context either.

The use of the term "axis of evil": No matter how true this may be, it's use created many problems for the US in polarizing world opinion against them.

The threats dictated to Syria following the success of the War in Iraq: the feeling, especially in the Middle East, is that the Israeli tail is wagging the US dog.

Ignoring French, Russian & German concerns over the War in Iraq: regardless of the European motivation, it was felt that the US was bypassing a legaly recognized world body in the UN to selfishly promote it's own agenda and risk destabilizing an already unstable part of the world.

Last but certainly not least, the threatening rhetoric coming out of the US administration against anybody who disagrees with the US position.

All of these examples, to one degree or another serve to alienate the US vis a vis the rest of the world.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X