A Russian View of the War in Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Russian View of the War in Iraq

Thought this was an interesting article to share. Not sure of the validity of the source as I don't frequent it.

Moscow Times
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Interesting... although I don't know if Iraq is the best comparison.

The Iraqis didn't put up much of a fight in Baghdad... and I don't mean any disrespect to the people doing the fighting as when your life is on the line an "easy fight" does not exist... but it's pretty clear that there was little determined resistance in the city and I'm betting most of that came from Baath party loyalists.. the only people who really have anything to lose.

The fact that Hussein deployed the RG outside the city (presumably in fear of a coup) might be telling in that he didn't even trust their loyalty or will to fight.
    "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

– Associate Justice Louis D. Brandeis, Olmstead vs. United States.

Comment

It's probable that very few civilians took part in the fighting. If they had things would of been a lot tougher. I didn't see very many of the type of street barriers that were used in Somalia.
      "There is no great genius without some touch of madness."

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Comment

After a quick search:

It seems like the coalition doesn't really know where most of these guys are either.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...ld%2Dheadlines

One U.S. official involved in both military operations and intelligence said there are thousands of Iraqi troops unaccounted for.

"That's the scary part. We don't know where these guys went to. Did they just melt into the population? Are they planning to come back out as paramilitary? Are they laying in wait?" the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

U.S. Central Command reported that there were still some organized units of Republican Guard and regular army forces in the north. In addition, remnants of Republican Guard divisions and regular army units from elsewhere have "coalesced into composite forces," said Capt. Frank Thorp, a Central Command spokesman.
        "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

– Associate Justice Louis D. Brandeis, Olmstead vs. United States.

Comment

Thats what I want to know, where the hell are these guys??

IIRC, there was something like 500 000 or so Iraqi soldiers, sure, not all RG units and such, but still, thats a lot of trained and semi-trained guys with a lot of guns....
          There are only 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that dont...

Comment

lots of them simply changed out of thier uniforms, dumped thier weapons and went home. we've found many piles of both. I don't think we've done anything with the uniforms but the weapons were blown up.
            "Lord... forgive me my actions, speech and thoughts. Because, Lord, I am seriously going to kick some unrighteous ass in Your Name, Amen."
            Princess of Wands by John Ringo (Jan 2006)

http://www.baen.com/chapters/W200601...9232.htm?blurb

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X