North American sub-forum in Current Events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North American sub-forum in Current Events

I have just realized there is no specific forum for North America in the Current Events section. I want to post something that was homegrown in the United States, made its first maiden flight in April 12, 1981, made 134 successful launches into orbit and 133 successful re-entries out of 135 launches and 134 re-entries. It's last flight was on July 21, 2011 after the Space Shuttle Atlantis successfully landed completing 33 missions, 4,848 orbits around Earth, 14 satellites deployed, 7 Mir dockings, 12 ISS dockings, 125,935,769 miles traveled for a total time in space of; 306 days, 14 hours, 12 minutes, and 43 seconds; 26 years of service.

I am talking about NASA's Space Shuttle Program. No country has yet to make something like it or has any plans to make a new shuttle. This 30 year programs deserves some attention, but there is no where appropriate. I guess it will go into Politics with everything else, but why do we have a sub-forum for every other part of the world except North America? We have a sub-forum for Central and South America but not one for all the land north of the Isthmus of Tehuantepec. Maybe there should be a Space Forum?
    The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

The Science sub forum might have been the most appropriate place for it, but I note that often when that forum is mentioned, someone will say, "What? We have a science forum here?" Last time, it was an ACG member who had been here four years. I guess some people don't get around much.

Philip
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

From the time that I first joined ACG I felt a Space Forum would be very nice, but seeing the discussion of it in scientific terms grew amidst a great deal of other scientific topics. Once I joined Staff, several other members & I advocated for what eventually culminated in the creation of a much more encompassing forum in the form of the Science Forum...

Needless to say, that forum now exists & I believe that Space very much is a portion of Scientific topicality. I have moved your thread currently to The Barracks, as that its context is very much one of a general interest to all, beyond only the scientific aspect & The Barracks is a place where the largest exposure for it is a certainty. After a time, I believe movement of it to the Science Forum would be most desirable.

As for a North American Forum, I leave discussion of that on the table. My own thoughts of it are that most Americans are happy to discuss such things in the Barracks.

What MUST be considered is that the other 'regional' forums referred to are part & parcel to the overall context of Current Events...

Just me tinkin, mates - as with other such things that might be of very real need or a positively sustainable portion of community infrastructure, if there is actually a certain support for it within the community, such possibility will be considered by Staff. As with anything, the overall diversity of Staff lends itself quite well to such issues.

All are encouraged to continue to discussion here, mates.

5 Stars & Staff - To the Bar & Grill for Elder Council!

Last edited by Admiral; 26 Jul 11, 14:24.
      On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

It is a given that science and space are intertwined and a sub exsists to serve that. Ntl. The op's point is cogent. There is no sub for the US and Canada in CE. Mexico is being carried in Latin America.

Hence my only conclusion is that this glaring deficiency is either based on system availablity, cost to expand, and or a deliberate snub.

In either case, it remains totally unacceptable. Much of what I might post regionally based... ends up in the barracks which it was never designed for other then in the broadest possible interpretation of

''For stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Members can retire from the serious discussions elsewhere on the forums...and relax here.''

So and as I refuse to post that there any longer; it is the forum's loss when news, insights and history specific to the aforementioned region, that can not be posted elsewhere given the parameters of a specific sub...goes unposted.

We glorify the Red's centers of Moscow and Beijing but have forgotten Dulce.....Casper......Bismark...Ottawa ...Halifax.....Regina......Lancaster..Boise...Redw ood...Belle Fouche.....Muncie.....Topeka....Omaha....Cross Plains.....Elk Horn...Yakima..St. Petersburg.....Quebec....Billings...Altus..Charlot te...San Juan....Tampa....

the list is endless.

Comment

Originally posted by CV
          Hence my only conclusion is that this glaring deficiency is either based on system availablity, cost to expand, and or a deliberate snub.
          HAR!

Trust me, mate, Cost, System & Snub are not, nor have they ever been a portion of the equation!

The theatrics of sayin as much is beyond reality...

There simply ISN'T a North American Forum in Current Events.

The sustainable interest of such a specific Primary Forum is something for the Community - overall - to express if it is to be a possibility...

And a simple portion - if such a public desire is amply apparent - for Staff & 5 Star Elders to ultimately decide, as CV already knows.

Such as is the case, we're all listenin, mates.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
            HAR!

Trust me, mate, Cost, System & Snub are not, nor have they ever been a portion of the equation!

The theatrics of sayin as much is beyond reality...

There simply ISN'T a North American Forum in Current Events.

The sustainable interest of such a specific Primary Forum is something for the Community - overall - to express if it is to be a possibility...

And a simple portion - if such a public desire is amply apparent - for Staff & 5 Star Elders to ultimately decide, as CV already knows.

Such as is the case, we're all listenin, mates.

Five Star Elders get a say in such matters?
            "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

To what extent is known only to them.

The attainment of such 'Rank' has its privileges.

Spamming to achieve the privilege is NOT rewarded.

The embodiment of substantial experience, Elder Council is invaluable.

Beyond that...

Classified!

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

If I may put in my 2c. I think it would be terrific if we had a section on it. I agree with CV.
                This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Actually we created the Current Events section in part because significant actions around the globe constantly got pushed off the page by events in the US that were frankly less than relevant to either Military Science or History. Have you noticed that in Weapons of War they are arguing over the "Greatest Battleship Ever". Again.

As it stands, most of the forum sections are dominated by Americans. That's perfectly understandable given our benefactor's magazine sales. Unfortunately, most Americans don't have the interest, education, or background to post intelligently on the foreign events that will eventually lead to our next war. I advocated for Current Events to help address this short coming.

The Middle East and the South Asia/Terrorism sections are normally busy enough. Europe is mostly politics but they seem to like it and the Brits moderate it for us. Russia has not gelled the way I'd hoped. It may need more work as does the Africa section. In the past few weeks the Australians have really take off in the East Asia/Pacific section. It's taken us months to make that happen.

Many members don't have the money to subscribe to Strafor, The Economist, FYEO Express, etc. Many have no military experience. Many have never been overseas.

Current Events is our chance to apply our knowledge and experience to news and discussion about wars and rumors of war and help others to make sense of things they would otherwise hear of only as sound bites. It's our chance to teach anyone who cares to listen.
                  Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

While all of that has merit....it did not answer the question or the request.

The fact that one region is posted in heavily by it's natives is not a precusor for a rejection of another sub....and understanding that.. that this currently merely serves their interests...specific to said region....and not necessarily others.

And based on forum pop density and representation and interests therein...it is no suprise that certain regional discussions will be either revelant and well participated in or not. Africa is an example. How many Africans here?

That's not the issue. As I have gladly supported all the regional subs with info... historical notes... vignettes..poltical commentary and analysis and opinion... etc.

The rub remains that an NA population, equally present here, is not being given the oppurtunity of the same enjoyed by others.

Which is and remains the glaring deficiency and inequality of oppurtunity.

But my last word on it.... as I noted earlier, that which is unique to such a sub, that I might have brought here, will now be lost as it damn sure is no longer going into the barracks.
                    Last edited by Centrix Vigilis; 26 Jul 11, 22:04.

Comment

Nah, the point of the conversation is to discuss, not complain - which you are.

Things like that tend to have a positive effect when you discuss 'n such...

That's how almost all Forums came to be around here.

Don't care how it's done elsewhere.

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Thanks CV for backing me up!
                        The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis View Post
                          But my last word on it.... as I noted earlier, that which is unique to such a sub, that I might have brought here, will now be lost as it damn sure is no longer going into the barracks.
                          Well don't lose it. Post it in the most appropriate, currently available forum and add the suggestion that such posts would benefit from their own sub forum.

No doubt, many would support you.

Philip

Comment

It seems to me that the Politics section, which is almost entirely US-centric (Due to political threads about other countries being posted in their respective Current Events section.), along with the Barracks, seems to fill the need for a North American section. There aren't really any military conflicts in North America to discuss, and thus most threads regarding North America will be of a political nature. That being said, I'm not against the idea, but I'm not sure its needed.
                            A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

I see no reason for a North American forum in the Current Events section. We are already well covered in the Barracks and Politics forums.
                              ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X