Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British sailing ship captains

Hello all, thanks for admission.
    I am in position of an original oil painting given to me by my godmother. She is in her 80's and is now in a nursing home, her mind is gone.
    Here is the information she gave to me regarding the painting a couple of years ago when she gave me the picture.
    It is a painting of her Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great grandfather.
    The story goes, he was a Captian in the British Navy and sailed around the world. It was a "sailing ship" just sails, no coal or oil for power back then.
    His last name was Robins or Robbins. One day in port an artist approached Capt Robbins and made a deal for passage on his ship by painting his picture for him. Due to the length of time that has passed and her age this is all she could recall. My back of the envelope calculations:
    Grandfather's at least 50 years of age. Times 6 of them equalls 300 years, plus add her age today of 81. Am I looking at a painting that may be 400 years or more old? And who would have been the budding artist around this time? Exciting huh? Please respond via arm chair or my regular
    email. [email protected] Looking forward to sitting back in the armchair and discussing history. thanks again, Dave.

Originally posted by dmkidd View Post
    Hello all, thanks for admission.
    I am in position of an original oil painting given to me by my godmother. She is in her 80's and is now in a nursing home, her mind is gone.
    Here is the information she gave to me regarding the painting a couple of years ago when she gave me the picture.
    It is a painting of her Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great grandfather.
    The story goes, he was a Captian in the British Navy and sailed around the world. It was a "sailing ship" just sails, no coal or oil for power back then.
    His last name was Robins or Robbins. One day in port an artist approached Capt Robbins and made a deal for passage on his ship by painting his picture for him. Due to the length of time that has passed and her age this is all she could recall. My back of the envelope calculations:
    Grandfather's at least 50 years of age. Times 6 of them equalls 300 years, plus add her age today of 81. Am I looking at a painting that may be 400 years or more old? And who would have been the budding artist around this time? Exciting huh? Please respond via arm chair or my regular
    email. [email protected] Looking forward to sitting back in the armchair and discussing history. thanks again, Dave.
    I would say there is possibly a couple to many greats in that one mate, mind you I am not belittling the painting it must still be pretty old. lcm1
    'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
    " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
    X