No announcement yet.

History of religions and ideas and philosophie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the idea myself, but it is a broad field and there are other forums for discussing religion and philosophy. If such were to be created here I would like it to be limited to religious wars and only for those prior to WW2. This would leave current politics such as Belfast, Islamistan, etc. out of the fray, and keep things more focused on history.

Wars like the Cristero War 1926-1929 in Mexico I feel would make for interesting and educational topics.

Comment

I'm inclined to agree, going much past 1900 is mostly asking for trouble.

Religion is important to history, but too much of modern history's religion is too close to too many sensitive subjects.
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
        I'm inclined to agree, going much past 1900 is mostly asking for trouble...
        I was going to suggest 1900 as the cut-off also, but then I recalled that the Cristero War came later. You are correct in that even using WW2 as the stopping point might still have to much bleed-over.

Comment

I picked 1900 to keep communism out of the loop actually.

Once you lose their invitation to the party it's a lot quiter shindig

Comment

I picked 1900 to keep communism out of the loop actually...
            Good point!

Comment

How far back are you going to include? Say the Spartans
              and the Peloponnesian War?
              17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

One would think one should begin at the beginning (no pun intended there) ie. Sumerian, Babylonian, and far eastern equivalents;and also would include African Shamanism etc.

Polytheism vs. monotheism is very old. not to mention varying nature-spirit beliefs. At some point there's always a tie-in to philosophically and political ideological development.

Thanks.

Comment

I say go back as far as is actually possible to discuss coherently.

Eventually you end up with very serious archeological skills needed of course.

Our race has been pondering existence since we could think coherently.

Comment

...Our race has been pondering existence since we could think coherently.
                    ...since we became self-aware.

Comment

Could be the first threads of the two chapters :
                      When started religion ?
                      When started politic ? Do socials animals have done politic before us ?

Comment

I would say the earliest signs of religious thinking, will be evidenced by the earliest signs of burial.

You don't bury a person for no good reason.

Comment

I would say the earliest signs of religious thinking, will be evidenced by the earliest signs of burial.

You don't bury a person for no good reason.
                          I think I might agree with that, but maybe not for the same reason.

Comment

I think this is a good idea, although I might attach the problem a little differently, so that basically any topic can be discussed, subject to rules, of course. Most topics can be worked into the existing format, but some, such as some mentioned in this, thread really don't fit. I don't have an idea what the thread could be called, something like the ACG Tavern, can talk about economics, social science, the stock market, what success you had with your new car, etc. Probably the things I haven't posted that I wanted to because I didn't see where they really fit were be topics such as Do we have capitalism, or is really statism, etc. does anyone have any ideas on stock picks (this one is difficult - I used to be in groups in Linked in where I said some things I did or was thinking about, people didn't seem to want to actually do that)

Anyway, I don't worry too much about the titles - My sense is the moderators, etc. did a lot of work with the Naval forum, and it doesn't seem like that many people participate. I do like the WW II forum with all the sub-forums, I think people tend to stay on topic more - again, though, I think this is all for fun so I appreciate the way the forums are run - people not saying that doesn't fit, etc. - if somone doesn't like something, they don't have to read (again, nothing offensive, etc.)

Edit: One post one this topic I would have made if this thread had existed was, would you like it if you found out you had some Neanderthal genes? (I would)
                            Last edited by lakechampainer; 15 Mar 10, 05:11.

Comment

Originally posted by grosnain View Post
                              Could be the first threads of the two chapters :
                              When started religion ?
                              When started politic ? Do socials animals have done politic before us ?
                              To be closer to the forum it could be:
                              When started the religion war ? Was it religion or political problem between two cities ?
                              Was it in the midle east, china or Africa(some say that we have big ancient cities in africa that could be dated before middle east)?

Comment

I usually try to avoid religious and philosophical discussions here, but I'm willing to contribute to this endeavor.
                                "To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat."
                                --Marshal Józef Piłsudski

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X