Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Captain
    replied
    Bit late to this, but Bob's idea seems a very good idea and Naval warfare through the ages is an excellent title. A lot of members here with a wide range of knowledge, from Ancient to the modern era which would make it a very lively place. Look forward to it.....hopefully.

Leave a comment:

• cst784
    replied
    Originally posted by bass_man86 View Post
    I know that there are other squids on these forums, although I have the feeling that I am one the most visible sailors here.
    Funny you say that Mario, I had thought you had disappeared from the forum for a while and was kind of bummed. Turns out you had been in the political section and I stopped go in there. Anyhow, I like the idea of broadening the naval subforum idea. I would love to learn more about naval warfare from the earlier eras of history.

Leave a comment:

• R. Evans
    replied
    Originally posted by Siberian HEAT View Post
    Hey! No need to point out all our flaws!

I see no reason to deny a naval sub-forum, and one of the reasons we have sub-forums is to encourage new members interested in that particular topic to stop in and visit, and hopefully stay once they get to know us. Sometimes new sub-forums catch on, and sometimes they don't. It is all part of the fun of building a community.

I will consult with staff to see where the best place to put it will be...and we'll have something for you shortly.

Thanks for your patience and suggestions.
    Thank you very much!

Leave a comment:

• Bass_Man86
    replied
    Originally posted by Torien View Post
    Wasn't it enough that Salamis won the Most Decisive Battle tournament?

Seriously, as much as I want a naval sub-forum, Admiral makes some good points as to why we shouldn't separate it.

Mario's sounds good and it's hard not to like the idea. But do we have enough Navy people here to make it viable?
    I know that there are other squids on these forums, although I have the feeling that I am one the most visible sailors here.

Leave a comment:

• Torien
    replied
    Y'arr, indeed!

Leave a comment:

• Admiral
    replied
    Y'ARR!

Leave a comment:

• Siberian HEAT
    replied
    Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
    I would think so. We have a Science Fiction subforum, how much traffic does that get? Medicine, Spies, Modelling, Gaming, and in the Current Events section we have Europe, Russia and a forum on South Ossetian conflict. Isn't Russia, the part that's usually discussed, in Europe? Why 3 forums for the same thing? There are 15 Forums and subforums on Gaming. And a Paintball Forum that has on it's first page threads that haven't been active for over a year. Are you saying that a Naval Forum would have less traffic than that?

We have a section titled Maps and Topography and then another one called Research, Reference and Historical Study which lists books, maps, orders of battle and other references. And another forum for Orders of Battle. Not to mention the ACG Book Club! I'm counting 4 Forums that are really the same thing.

Some of the ones I've listed could be combined if space is a problem. Don't get me wrong, I think ACG is by far and away the best forum on the net. It's not even close in my opinion. But I'm thinking that a Naval Forum would be just as good as the recent addition of the American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion forums. That one has taken off and become a real asset here. A Naval Warfare Through The Ages Forum would be a great addition in my humble opinion.

Hey! No need to point out all our flaws!

I see no reason to deny a naval sub-forum, and one of the reasons we have sub-forums is to encourage new members interested in that particular topic to stop in and visit, and hopefully stay once they get to know us. Sometimes new sub-forums catch on, and sometimes they don't. It is all part of the fun of building a community.

I will consult with staff to see where the best place to put it will be...and we'll have something for you shortly.

Thanks for your patience and suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• R. Evans
    replied
    Originally posted by Torien View Post

Seriously, as much as I want a naval sub-forum, Admiral makes some good points as to why we shouldn't separate it.

Mario's sounds good and it's hard not to like the idea. But do we have enough Navy people here to make it viable?
    I would think so. We have a Science Fiction subforum, how much traffic does that get? Medicine, Spies, Modelling, Gaming, and in the Current Events section we have Europe, Russia and a forum on South Ossetian conflict. Isn't Russia, the part that's usually discussed, in Europe? Why 3 forums for the same thing? There are 15 Forums and subforums on Gaming. And a Paintball Forum that has on it's first page threads that haven't been active for over a year. Are you saying that a Naval Forum would have less traffic than that?

We have a section titled Maps and Topography and then another one called Research, Reference and Historical Study which lists books, maps, orders of battle and other references. And another forum for Orders of Battle. Not to mention the ACG Book Club! I'm counting 4 Forums that are really the same thing.

Some of the ones I've listed could be combined if space is a problem. Don't get me wrong, I think ACG is by far and away the best forum on the net. It's not even close in my opinion. But I'm thinking that a Naval Forum would be just as good as the recent addition of the American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion forums. That one has taken off and become a real asset here. A Naval Warfare Through The Ages Forum would be a great addition in my humble opinion.

Leave a comment:

• R. Evans
    replied
    Originally posted by Admiral View Post
    On the contrary, Bob...

Come back & read some of the things I've written above from time to time...

Just a For Instance of what might rock your noggin... all those things considered...
    1. Weapons of War becomes a Parent
    2. Specific Weapons Systems are Sub'd by 'Land', 'Sea', 'Air' & 'Space' (examples only)
    3. The Parent becomes the general Atrium where overlap, combined or general discussion occurs

My previous points were not an opinion...

Just food for thought...

Okay, I might have been a bit hasty with the wet blanket crack.

I don't think that it would fragment our community anymore than it already is. We have members here that only post in the Modelling forum, the Warfare through the Ages forums, the Civil War forums or the Politics forums to name just a few. I would look at it this way, take a member like Hired Goon, if I may use him as an example, he's been here awhile but didn't seem to post all that much. Now that there's a American Revolution and Colonial America forum, he's posting all the time. And can anyone say that's a bad thing. He now is in charge of that forum and posts some fantastic info, to the better for the ACG community.

And as a favor, could you change the thread's name to Naval Warfare Through The Ages or something along those lines? I realize now that I was limiting the possible scope of the proposed forum. That was a mistake on my part.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Schwerepunkt
    replied
    Naval Subforum

As most of the contents of the current forum are beyond my knowledge and certainly my interest, I would certainly welcome a more specialized naval department. Naval history throughout the ages would be an excellent title.

Because Salamis won the decisive battle vote does not mean great naval battles have meant little. Trafalger, Naval Ops off of Guadalcanal, the Battle of the Atlantic, and others have had great effect on our world as we know it today.

I appreciate the consideration of this option and hope that it will be adopted but I won't throw a tantrum and leave just because it isn't.

Leave a comment:

• Torien
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Schwerepunkt
    replied
    Naval Subforum

Navies are not subsystems of any nations armed forces. They are one of three primary arms (armies, air forces and navies). I rigorously advocate the adoption of such a forum but if the legion of armchair generals do not wish it, then so be it.

Leave a comment:

• R. Evans
    replied
    Originally posted by bass_man86 View Post
    If I may make a suggestion Rob, maybe you could look at broadening the forum by making it a Naval Warfare Throughout the Ages forum. IMO, most of our warfare forums deal primarily with land warfare, whereas naval warfare is a completely different beast. Something that many people do not realize is how pivotal naval warfare has been throughout the ages; Mahan's dictum that "in any contest of land armies, the navies of the world must cast the final vote" has many times been an overlooked fact, and in that respect, it could be a truly valuable forums for some of our history students.
    Yeah, I had already addressed that mistake on the previous page. I should've come up with your title. Naval Warfare Throughout The Ages is a great title.

Leave a comment:

• Bass_Man86
    replied
    Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
    Well, talk about the proverbial wet blanket....
    If I may make a suggestion Rob, maybe you could look at broadening the forum by making it a Naval Warfare Throughout the Ages forum. IMO, most of our warfare forums deal primarily with land warfare, whereas naval warfare is a completely different beast. Something that many people do not realize is how pivotal naval warfare has been throughout the ages; Mahan's dictum that "in any contest of land armies, the navies of the world must cast the final vote" has many times been an overlooked fact, and in that respect, it could be a truly valuable forums for some of our history students.

Leave a comment:

• dongar1
    replied
    many, sorry. Did you know the famous LST burning on D-Day was also set afire in the Pacific?

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X