Naval Warfare Subforum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naval Warfare Subforum?

Title says it all. How about one? We have seperate subforums for Allied, German and Russian armor, what about one for all aspects of naval warfare during WW2? There's been a good number of threads lately about different ships that have generated alot of posts.

Thanks for reading,

Bob
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Is anybody...OUT THERE??

Comment

+1 vote for a WWII naval subforum.
      Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

Then what? One for the AF and Marines?

Comment

We are here. If there are a few more interested, we can look into this.

Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Good call, Bob.

The Navy role in warfare throughout the ages has been decisive
            in many instances. I've a personal interest, from my Dad coming home
            on the Queen Mary to march in the 5th Ave Victory Parade in NY,
            father-in-law AO-107 USS Passumpsic in the Korean Conflict, good
            friend who was Commander of a Hospital Ship in WW2, Korea and Viet Nam and a goods who were Submariners on the Scorpian and Alabama.
            My 2nd cousin, a Marine fought at Iwo, Saipan and Tinian in the Marianas, it was the Navy who got him there and brought him home!

Go Navy! and Semper Fi!
            17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

Anchors aweigh!

Yup! Count me in too. My dad served as CO of the Marine detachment and air defence officer onboard the USS SOUTH DAKOTA from 1943 to the end of the war. I served aboard the USS INTREPID(NOT during WW2) which saw a lot of action in the Pacific Theater as well. Sounds like a great sub forum.

ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
              IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by 17thAirborneSon View Post
                Good call, Bob.

The Navy role in warfare throughout the ages has been decisive
                in many instances. I've a personal interest, from my Dad coming home
                on the Queen Mary to march in the 5th Ave Victory Parade in NY,
                father-in-law AO-107 USS Passumpsic in the Korean Conflict, good
                friend who was Commander of a Hospital Ship in WW2, Korea and Viet Nam and a goods who were Submariners on the Scorpian and Alabama.
                My 2nd cousin, a Marine fought at Iwo, Saipan and Tinian in the Marianas, it was the Navy who got him there and brought him home!

Go Navy! and Semper Fi!
                Thanks. And maybe I misspoke and should've said a Naval Forum and not limited it to WW2.

Comment

Count me onboard too!!! Excellant idea Bob. That topic is precisely what brought me to these forums in the first place.
                  Bill

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy"

Billy Currington

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                    Thanks. And maybe I misspoke and should've said a Naval Forum and not limited it to WW2.
                    Thats, ok.

"Benefits should be conferred gradually; and in that way they will taste better."
                    Niccolo Machiavelli
                    17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

I agree...there are many naval topics that get discussed on this forum, and I think they should have their own subforum.
                      Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

Nothing that follows should be construed as an opinion expressed either way... it is simply 'food for thought':

• There is an exclusive 'Allied Armor' sub-forum in WWII Forum because we have a hosted Forum about 'Axis Armor'.
                        • Warships are Weapons/Weapons systems. Sub-Forums about the weapons of any War/Era does not generally divide discussion of general warfare within any given War/Era & its relevant Forum.
                        • A Forum about Weapons/Weapons Systems already exists... does creating a Sub-Forum about Air, Armor, Naval, Infantry, etc... in every War/Era Forum actually improve things?
                        • Does doing so simply create conditions such as to spread all related discussion so far abroad the entire Community as to make it likely that many folks will never get around to other related discussions that they would normally have enjoyed as a result of its simplicity of discovery?
                        • Discussion of Land Warfare is to its very roots a discussion of Warfare, none the less. Dividing it from other discussion of warfare in any specific War/Era Forum divides the entire discussion of Warfare within any War/Era.
                        • Discussion of Naval Warfare is to its very roots a discussion of Warfare, none the less. Dividing it from other discussion of warfare in any specific War/Era Forum divides the entire discussion of Warfare within any War/Era.
                        • Discussion of Aeronautical Warfare is to its very roots a discussion of Warfare, none the less. Dividing it from other discussion of warfare in any specific War/Era Forum divides the entire discussion of Warfare within any War/Era.
                        • Armchair General is one community about Warfare, not 3 communities about Land, Sea & Air Warfare, in complete exclusion or segregation of each other.
                        • If there is an exclusive Forum about Naval Warfare, how long before Land Warfare & Airpower require the same exclusivity?
                        • What is the goal or potential result... separate communities... or burbs within the same community?

Just sayin, mates... You all know of my love of all things Naval, but it is important to consider many things before just creating another Forum - or even Sub-Forums... Many a community dedicated to history have diluted themselves into obscurity... the 'why & will anything really be improved' ways & means of things within a historical community should always be considered over & above the 'it would be neat' (but to whom & for how long) aspects of sustainable Forum Community infrastructure & existence.

Now the following is exclusively my own opinion:

I can think of at least one Forum dedicated to only one conflict that is so dilluted that getting around to the many different things that interests me is nigh on impossible - to the point of ridiculous proportions - but I will not name it here... I suspect most of us can name at least one, if not several such similar Forums elsewhere, as well.

Just sayin, mates...

Last edited by Admiral; 30 Oct 09, 21:01.
                        On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Well, talk about the proverbial wet blanket....

Comment

On the contrary, Bob...

Come back & read some of the things I've written above from time to time...

Just a For Instance of what might rock your noggin... all those things considered...
                            1. Weapons of War becomes a Parent
                            2. Specific Weapons Systems are Sub'd by 'Land', 'Sea', 'Air' & 'Space' (examples only)
                            3. The Parent becomes the general Atrium where overlap, combined or general discussion occurs

My previous points were not an opinion...

Just food for thought...

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

+1 vote here, mant interesting things happened with Naval Operations during WW2.
                              In Vino Veritas

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X