Spanish-American War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish-American War

How about it? Teddy Roosevelt, the Rough Riders, Manila Bay.
    My great, great Uncle David Barbour was in this war. I don't see
    too much discussion about it. Any thoughts about the Naval strategies
    or land battles in this War? I visited the USS Olympia in Philidelphia
    a few years ago. Lots of history from that ship alone. Come on guys
    your thoughts please...........

17thAirborneSon
    17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Please see and enjoy historic battles on : www.Excel4Gallery.com , artist : Ferrer Dalmau, who is the best military painter.

Comment

Originally posted by 17thAirborneSon View Post
      How about it? Teddy Roosevelt, the Rough Riders, Manila Bay.
      My great, great Uncle David Barbour was in this war. I don't see
      too much discussion about it. Any thoughts about the Naval strategies
      or land battles in this War? I visited the USS Olympia in Philidelphia
      a few years ago. Lots of history from that ship alone. Come on guys
      your thoughts please...........

17thAirborneSon

Just opened a thread on it in the Wars and Warfare section. Definitely a pivotal moment in U.S. history.
      Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wicked of men will do the most wicked of things for the greatest good of everyone.- John Maynard Keynes

Comment

thanks for the update Zap!
        17thAirborneSon

Comment

Uss olympia-captain gridley's report-manila

There is a great web-site about the Sp.-Am. war. Here are the opening paragraphs of the Captain's report from the USS Olympia during the campaign at Manila Bay

General:
          This is the report filed by Capt. Charles Gridley of the OLYMPIA, after the Battle of Manila Bay, on May 1, 1898.

The Report:

U. S. FLAGSHIP OLYMPIA
          Off Manila, Philippine Islands, May 3,1898.

SIR: I have the honor to make the following report of this ship's engagement with the enemy on May 1:

On April 30 we stood down for the entrance to Manila Bay. At 9.42 p. m. the crew were called to general quarters (the ship having been previously cleared for action)and remained by their guns, ready to return the fire of the batteries if called upon.

At about 11.30 p. m. we passed through Boca Grande entrance of Manila Bay. The lights on Corrigidor and Caballo islands and on San Nicolas Banks were extinguished.

After this ship had passed in the battery on the southern shore of entrance opened fire at the ships astern and theMcCULLOCH and the BOSTON returned the fire.

At 4 a. in. of May 1 coffee was served out to officers and men. At daybreak sighted shipping at Manila. Shifted course to southward and stood for Cavite. At 5.06 two submarine mines were exploded near, Cavite' bearing south-southeast, distant 4 miles. At 5.15 battery on Shangly Point opened fire, but the shell fell short. Other shells passed over us, ranging 7 miles. At 5.41 a.m. we opened fire on Spanish ships with forward 8-inch guns, which were soon followed by the 5-inch battery. A rapid fire was kept up until the close of the action.

The range varied from 5,600 to 2,000 yards.

A torpedo boat ran out and headed for this ship, but was finally driven back by our secondary battery. She came out a second time and was again repulsed. This timeshe had to be beached, as several shot had hit her.

Batteries from Manila fired occasional shots at the ships during the action, but did no damage.

The full article is available at: http://www.spanamwar.com/Gridleyrpt.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Bibliography:
          Clerk of Joint Comittee on Printing, The Abridgement of Message from the President of the United States to the Two Houses of Congress. Vol 3, Washington: Government Printing Office, 1899. 73-74.
          SiteLOG For: Spanish American War Centennial Website
          Options: | My Msg Board [1] | Rate My Site | Contact Me
          Current Rating 7.50 Rank #24 Visitors/Day 371.14
          City Lancaster, USA Category Historical Places
          Powered By:

Copyright 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

OK any thought about this ship or the Spanish-American War Centenniel site?:
          17thAirborneSon

Comment

Remember the Maine? Anybody out there?
            17thAirborneSon

Comment

Wow, still no action at this thread. Waaaasssss up?
              17thAirborneSon

Comment

Nobody here.
                If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

If a tree fell....

Originally posted by Legate View Post
                  Nobody here.
                  If a tree fell in the forest and nobody was there........would there be any noise??
                  17thAirborneSon

Comment

If a tree fell in the forest and nobody was there........would there be any noise??
                    I don't know. I wasn't there.

Seriously, I think if you posted a thread in the general Wars and Warfare forum, you would get some takers. Not a lot of people will go looking for it here.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...play.php?f=176

And not enough "Remember the Maine" for there to be a dedicated sub-forum.

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                    _________
                    BoRG

Comment

Thanks for the insight!

Originally posted by Torien View Post

Seriously, I think if you posted a thread in the general Wars and Warfare forum, you would get some takers. Not a lot of people will go looking for it here.

Thanks for the insight, Torien.
                      17thAirborneSon

Comment

Thanks for the insight, Torien.
                        You are most welcome!
                        History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                        _________
                        BoRG

Comment

Actually,I think the best place for the War of 1898 is in the American age of Expansion sub forum. It fits in better there.
                          If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post
                            Actually,I think the best place for the War of 1898 is in the American age of Expansion sub forum. It fits in better there.
                            I thought about that too. But the year puts it after the Civil War and the Age of Expansion only goes up to about 1820! I think they only want continental expansion, not world expansion.
                            _________
                            BoRG

Comment

I pondered, I pondered

I thought about that too. But the year puts it after the Civil War and the Age of Expansion only goes up to about 1820! I think they only want continental expansion, not world expansion.
                              Originally I pondered where to put this. Moved it to here once already
                              based on a thoughtful suggestion.
                              17th
                              17thAirborneSon

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X