Central Asia subforum with reorganization of Russia subforum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Asia subforum with reorganization of Russia subforum

Its kind of weird to me when Russia gets its own sub forum when all other countries are in their prospective categories.

Heres what it looks like in the Current Events forum:

Africa
    The Middle East
    East Asia and the Pacific
    Europe
    Latin America & the Caribbean
    North America
    Russia
    South Asia and World Terrorism

Its as if all those countries east of Europe, northeast of the Middle East, north and west of South Asia, and west of East Asia don't matter at all. There is no appropriate forum for them. Actually I don't consider Afghanistan South Asia by no means. I would say that it should be organized into a Central Asia subforum.

Here's what countries I propose should be included in the Central Asia subforum:
    Russia
    Kazakhstan
    Uzbekistan
    Kyrgystan
    Turkmenistan
    Tajikistan
    Afghanistan
    Mongolia
    Western China

Nations that could be included but could also be mentioned in Middle East subforum could be:
    Georgia
    Armenia
    Azerbaijan.

Basically the Central Asia subforum would be the former USSR which would give balance to the Current Events forum and organize these countries into a culturally and geographically similar subforum. They have shared a past history and are becoming very geopolitically important areas with their development of fossil fuels and trade routes.

It does seem like Russia is somehow special with its own subforum when there are 195-96 other countries that don't have their own subforum. Even world superpowers don't have their own subforum, if Russia can have its own why not them? Maybe the KGB has infiltrated the ACG moderatoring team and secretly spreads pro-Putin propaganda upon us in the hopes of distorting the facts about Russian history and events.
    The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Russia is one of few country's that has it's own forum. All of Europe has one. China and India are lumped together. Central Asia isn't more important than those. Noks are in the news regularly but doesn't have it's own forum. Imo we don't need sub-forums for country's that generate little news and little interest.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
      Russia is one of few country's that has it's own forum. All of Europe has one. China and India are lumped together. Central Asia isn't more important than those. Noks are in the news regularly but doesn't have it's own forum. Imo we don't need sub-forums for country's that generate little news and little interest.
      There is no specifically mentioned just China and just India subforums. China is included in East Asia and the Pacific subforum and India is included in South Asia and World Terrorism subforum (which has bothered me why World Terrorism is lumped into South Asia exclusively as the majority of terrorism recently has happened in the Middle East and Europe). China could be in both East Asia and South Asia subforums and perhaps moderator judgement is what delineates into which subforum any event in China happens. I find it kind of erroneous to believe Afghanistan is a part of South Asia. Geologically its part of the Eurasian Plate. To me Afghanistan should be part of Central Asia as its closer to it than South Asia. New Delhi, India is India's most northern big city and the southern part of Afghanistan sits at a higher latitude than it. The mountains between Pakistan and Afghanistan form a steep wall where the Indian plate collides into the Eurasian Plate. I have to disagree that Central Asia isn't in the news. Without Afghanistan South Asia subforum looks pretty bleak, since most activity in Asia happens in East Asia. With Afghanistan and Russia a Central Asia subforum looks pretty active. Of course Russia is unique in that it is also a part of Europe, so European located events like Ukraine would fall in that subforum.
      The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

Russia will always be 'neither fish nor fowl' as events in the north Pacific can be entirely due to actions taken in Moscow in real time.

We still may tweak things a bit.
        Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Central Asia and the Caucasus merged into Russia forums.

We'll see how things go.

Comment

As someone who has spent a large part of his working life in the ME can I say that no one there would consider Georgia, Armenia or Azerbaijan as being part of it
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
              As someone who has spent a large part of his working life in the ME can I say that no one there would consider Georgia, Armenia or Azerbaijan as being part of it
              Editorial decision.

When I searched the forums for threads discussing those countries I found that the vast majority were already in the Russia forum. Reading a few, it became clear why; they are tied together by Soviet era infrastructure, Moscow apparently still considers them part if its area of influence, and nearly all news items concerning them center on some aspect of their dealings with the Russians.

Like the Arab Mahgreb, practicality trumps any notional ideas of geographic taxonomy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X