Rep system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rep system

Just wondering how is it possible for someone with a turned off reputation to give neg reps? Shouldn't it be more fair not to allow him to give any good/bad rep points if the others can't give them to him?
    www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

You can give him neg/pos rep and he will see it in his control panel. Only thing where it doesn't show up is in his posts. Atleast i was able give rep to someone who had turned it off.
    Last edited by JML; 08 Apr 10, 16:02.
    "Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery"
    Robert G. Ingersoll 1833-1899

Comment

Agree 100%, after all turning off rep means you "don't care" about it so why should you care about giving rep?

Comment

Well, some cowards do care as it allows them to throw neg reps around while the others can't do the same to them.
        www.histours.ru

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
          Well, some cowards do care as it allows them to throw neg reps around while the others can't do the same to them.
          In the end, the rep system really is nothing more than another communication device between posters. Enjoy the positive comments and don't take the negative comments so seriously. Why would you even care about the comments from those who would not display his/her own? There are people who have been here for years and have no idea there is a rep function nor do they care, while at the same time there are those who use the rep system as an istant message function as it is the fastest and most simple. Some just use it to vent. I have gotten bad reps for the strangest reason, and most in my perception totally uncalled for. For what it is worth, I have established friendships and do my best to avoid making new enemies. Use it as you see fit and move on is my personal take on this.
          Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

I've got an odd one: I got rep from somebody who had it turned off and it came up grey and didn't add or subtract from the total? I've had it (good and bad) from users that have had it turned off and it came up normal.
            Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Grey rep is from new members who have posted less than ten messages on the forum I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
                Grey rep is from new members who have posted less than ten messages on the forum I believe.
                That would make sense. So if they posted a couple more times it would turn green, yeah?
                Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                  In the end, the rep system really is nothing more than another communication device between posters. Enjoy the positive comments and don't take the negative comments so seriously. Why would you even care about the comments from those who would not display his/her own? There are people who have been here for years and have no idea there is a rep function nor do they care, while at the same time there are those who use the rep system as an istant message function as it is the fastest and most simple. Some just use it to vent. I have gotten bad reps for the strangest reason, and most in my perception totally uncalled for. For what it is worth, I have established friendships and do my best to avoid making new enemies. Use it as you see fit and move on is my personal take on this.
                  Thanks, Salinator. There's one very new person here who regularly gives neg reps to several people while cowardly hiding his own reputation. I thought it was unfair.

I take a different position on it. Sometimes you do some research answering someone's question and he is sincerely grateful for it, as well as some other people, and gives you a rep. You see it in you control panel and this is his sincere gratitude. And then some jerk comes and neg reps you just cause he's a jerk, and his reputation can't even be seen. I'll get over it of course, but I still think the rep system needs some tweaking.
                  www.histours.ru

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
                    Thanks, Salinator. There's one very new person here who regularly gives neg reps to several people while cowardly hiding his own reputation. I thought it was unfair.

I take a different position on it. Sometimes you do some research answering someone's question and he is sincerely grateful for it, as well as some other people, and gives you a rep. You see it in you control panel and this is his sincere gratitude. And then some jerk comes and neg reps you just cause he's a jerk, and his reputation can't even be seen. I'll get over it of course, but I still think the rep system needs some tweaking.
                    Sadly, jerks do come in all nationalities, colors, religion......and whatever. Most of the time it is just best to ignore them and in time they will leave you alone as there will always be bigger fishes for them if for no other reason than those type of personas are always simply are looking for reaction. The difference is that while we seek dialog, others are eagerly seeking confrontation or controversy. Neg repping for some is just an extension of trolling.
                    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

It's about me I think.
                      It is Mount Everest of hypocricy that the person, who constantly insulting people, now screaming "I'm under fire".

It begins here, after his second insult - http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...2&postcount=10
                      when I decided to rapport his post to ACG staff.
                      There were no reactions, so I decided to use an advice from this thread:
                      http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=48700
                      And give him bad rep. Of course my reactions were maybe to hard, but have in mind who provoking, and lighting the fire by insulting people.
                      The last one he get for this post #35 in this topic - http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...t=88863&page=3
                      As you see, his insult is not directed toward me, but to Aquila, who is realy gentleman. ShAA call him a "nut". If this is not an insult, I don't know what is?

Now there are only two bad rep. I gave him, but the next one will be delivered after each insulting post.
                      At the begining I see the rep.system as a litle childish, but now (after ShAA reaction) I see this as a very useful tool to teach agressive persons some culture. He looks for popularity here, so it hurt him so much.

Comment

All Rep counts whether somebody has it turned off or not.

Turning it off simply removes its displlay from an individuals Posts. Profile & display of the messages in their own User CP...

So one does not have to display it or even be bothered by the messages BUT:

All one need do to see their Rep Messages & current Rep Total is to turn it back on.

Ignore does not stop Rep, either.

For me, the Rep function is merely another means of messaging my sentiments - as privately so as a PM or E-mail - that does not fill ones PM Box.

It is what it is...

And, O-O, being called a "nut" is about as insulting in its everyday English usage as being called a Moon Pie or Toast... meaning it could hardly be considered much of anything close to an actual insult - proscribed or otherwise.
                        On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

OO you seems overly sensitive.

Get into a debate with some of us more abusive and abrasive members then you might have something to cry about.

Oh, and calling some one a 'nut' is not trolling. That comes under the defintion of 'Flameing'
                          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I'll agree that rep is a nice little feature, but wouldn't it be better to disable negative reputation? If someone makes a bad post and you disapprove of it, then I can understand that but there are some members who will just be spiteful and give negative reputation for people they don't like. It would be abuse of a fun little feature, and taking the whole "negative reputation" out of the equation would fix that.

Comment

So he's whining and screaming when he was called "trollie" and reporting such innocent word? I wonder what happens if he gets called some really bad word in real life - probably drops on the ground and writhes, frothing at the mouth.

OO, you can give me as many neg reps as possible, of course. I've got them before and normally didn't give them in return. But as long as you keep your reputation disabled while throwing neg reps I shall keep calling you an abject coward. Grow some balls and brains before daring to teach someone your "culture" of throwing turd from behind a high fence.
                              www.histours.ru

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X