X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CarpeDiem View Post

FYI

From the site administrator:

If posters wish to discuss current US affairs, there are countless other places on the internet to have at it. For the reasons stated above by senior forum management, the discussion is closed here on ACG.
    Since the shut down of "North America" and later clarifications posted that this means no "US Politics" can be discussed, I've noticed that numbers of posts and views overall appears to have declined a bit. Perhaps this was intent?

Also, I don't recall turning off the advertisements in my settings, but such are no longer shown at top and sidebars as they had been. Rates for revenues from advertisers are often set based upon viewership so is this a reflection of the decline?

Or another choice of the owners in streamlining the forum?
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz
    Present Current Events are the Future's History

Comment

Post count in the rest of ACG has been increasing ever since the closure, the forum was actually dying a slow death well before then due to the lack of activity outside the NA forum. I can get a daily post count if needed.
      The real issue here is that there are some members who lumped all their energy into one particular unproductive forum and now choose not to participate elsewhere. I’m not pointing the finger at you David, just putting it out there since we’re on the subject.
      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
      Ernest Hemingway.

Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
        Post count in the rest of ACG has been increasing ever since the closure, the forum was actually dying a slow death well before then due to the lack of activity outside the NA forum. I can get a daily post count if needed.
        The real issue here is that there are some members who lumped all their energy into one particular unproductive forum and now choose not to participate elsewhere. I’m not pointing the finger at you David, just putting it out there since we’re on the subject.
        That's OK. Just my perception seemed like that and as pointed out to me elsewhere and earlier, Admins and Mods have access to resources about the forum that most of us don't, such as a fuller and easier access to history of posts, etc.

Not that I miss them a whole lot, some times they presented something worth clicking on, but what happened to the advertisements ???

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
          Please show the post count statistics.
          Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
            Also, I don't recall turning off the advertisements in my settings, but such are no longer shown at top and sidebars as they had been.
            That's strange - they show for me as always
            Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

Me too. Today it’s McDonald’s and HelloFresh.

Comment

Originally posted by Judith View Post
                When do we ever witness the collapse of a world power in real time?

Anyway it’s not the subject, it’s the lack of manners. So many posters were just here to start a fight on that rubbish. They had zero interest in milhis, but a huge agenda in us politics. I don’t need to name them... they are the ones we won’t see again unless the ban is lifted, then they’ll be back in a heartbeat. Good ****ing riddance, I say, and the only problem I have with the rule is that it didn’t happen 10 years ago

Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

I guess it is strange. I've been through the "User Settings" up at page top bar and didn't find anything related to any "ad block" there. Wondering if it might be my using FireFox as browser and latest edition that has turned them off ... ???

Comment

Originally posted by CarpeDiem View Post
                    Me too. Today it’s McDonald’s and HelloFresh.
                    The cookie system is working perfectly too - I get serious ads when I log in at the office, and games at home

Originally posted by Salinator View Post

Please show the post count statistics.
                    Certainly I suspect my own post count is down, political discussions tend to 'drag you in' with multiple reactions to a single post.

I always figured they kept them around to generate activity...
                    Last edited by Snowygerry; 27 Sep 20, 04:07.

Comment

Post deleted, please refrain from discussing a toxic topic that has brought no benefit to this forum what so ever.

A reminder from the Admin.
                      If you are absolutely determined to expound on the latest episode of American political self-flagellation, you will have to do it elsewhere. It's your time to waste. I'm no longer willing to let you waste ours.
                      Last edited by Achtung Baby; 01 Oct 20, 02:47.

Comment

I banned myself from the NA forum (with a few minor exceptions) quite a few months ago and don't really miss not being there.

Comment

Given that you are suppose to be ignoring current events in Armchair General, the entire Current Events Forum should have been permanently closed and either deleted, or archived. The topics there contributes nothing to past history anyways - even if it ends up repeating itself.

Make Armchair General a History Only forum and be done with it. No sense selectively Talibanning history in the making. Besides, there are now plenty of Facebook news sites to discuss those current events taking place.

Back to the task of preserving some local history before it too vanishes. 14,000 aging negatives scanned so far, another 20,000+ from my late uncle's Great Lakes Ships collection to go.
                          “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

I thought you left in a huff?

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
                              [...] history in the making.
                              The war in Nagorno-Karabach can be discussed in the Central Asia board

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
                                Given that you are suppose to be ignoring current events in Armchair General, the entire Current Events Forum should have been permanently closed and either deleted, or archived. The topics there contributes nothing to past history anyways - even if it ends up repeating itself.

Make Armchair General a History Only forum and be done with it. No sense selectively Talibanning history in the making. Besides, there are now plenty of Facebook news sites to discuss those current events taking place.

Back to the task of preserving some local history before it too vanishes. 14,000 aging negatives scanned so far, another 20,000+ from my late uncle's Great Lakes Ships collection to go.
                                Again,and to repeat myself and other forum staff members, the issue wasn't the subject matter,
                                The issue was the behaviour of forum members who were unable to conduct discussions in a polite, respectable adult manner. While this issue has cropped up from time to time in other areas of the forum, it was the norm rather than the exception in the NA forums. The post quoted above underscores the selective memory of certain posters as well as their inability to take any responsibility for their actions. Forum management, as a final resort and after countless requests to tone it down and post like grown ups, editing and deleting of posts, closing of threads and bans ranging from short and frequent to longer for repeat offenders, decided to stop dealing with this time suck of a subforum and shuttered it.

As you sow, so shall ye reap.

or to use simpler language: Play stupid games , win stupid prizes.
                                Last edited by CarpeDiem; 11 Oct 20, 16:31.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X