Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

War crimes denial - should ACG have a policy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by asterix View Post

That funny...because my wife is also Native American, and holds the view that everything the Brits/American did during the same time frame constitutes a series of war crimes, and any action taken against the UK/US in regards to the Native nations is simple justice....but that's just her. Her argument: "they got us hooked on alcohol, but our tobacco does a good job killing them too."

Depends on the tribe. I tend to have a US-concentric outlook because my people benefited in both the short and the long run, taken in the context of the wars we were fighting before the whites intervened.

But it proves my point: the difference between war and war crime is based on the side you're on.

I regularly lambaste the British Empire for what it did in North America, while supporting its actions in Ireland.

Everyone chooses a side.

Leave a comment:

• asterix
    replied
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

So first, we would have to agree on what is a war crime. As a Native American, I would argue that every action taken by France between 1600 and 1970 is a war crime, while any action taken against France in that same period (excluding actions by the Third Reich against French Jews) are simple justice.
    That funny...because my wife is also Native American, and holds the view that everything the Brits/American did during the same time frame constitutes a series of war crimes, and any action taken against the UK/US in regards to the Native nations is simple justice....but that's just her. Her argument: "they got us hooked on alcohol, but our tobacco does a good job killing them too."

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Censorship is not the answer.

And many things which are considered war crimes by some, are not considered war crimes by others.

Frankly, every war in history is considered a war crime by someone or another.

Other than the Holocaust, there aren't very many universally recognized war crimes.

So first, we would have to agree on what is a war crime. As a Native American, I would argue that every action taken by France between 1600 and 1970 is a war crime, while any action taken against France in that same period (excluding actions by the Third Reich against French Jews) are simple justice.

The same could be argued about any of the European colonial powers.

Which means we have just ended 95% of the history forum.

Best to just try to man up and accept that others have different opinions and deal with it.

Although if we do start assigning crimes against Humanity, Sweden is going to the top of the list, IKEA alone is reason enough for a national purge with fire and steel, and that is only one of the horrors they have inflicted.

Leave a comment:

• leandros
    replied
    No! The US don't..

Fred
    Last edited by leandros; 25 Mar 19, 07:33.

Leave a comment:

• Snowygerry
    replied
    Originally posted by asterix View Post
    ()
    What should ACG policy be in regards to the denial/denigrating of historical war crimes, and the praising of those who were their perpetrators...particularly those who were tried and convicted ?
    Lock them in one particular "asylum" thread in a political board and let them argue among themselves untill they tire of it, move all similar arguments elsewhere there.

Diligently guard the argument so as to not have it spill over in other historical threads.

Remember the provocative effect they have is the main attraction of this line of arguments, there's little of historical interest in it.

Introducing rules "a la tete du client" is a bad idea imho.

Edit, looking at (what I think) is the thread in question it is just two posters basically repeating themselves for 6 pages or so, just get out of there and let them have at it, while they're doing that they're not posting nonsense elsewhere

Last edited by Snowygerry; 25 Mar 19, 07:50.

Leave a comment:

• asterix
    started a topic War crimes denial - should ACG have a policy?

War crimes denial - should ACG have a policy?

A current thread with another member on the topic of an ethnic cleansing campaign during a not-so-distant past conflict, revealed this person's view of not only the campaign (denial, and/or acceptance), but also of several key figures who took part and are now convicted war criminals sitting in jail as being positive and praiseworthy.

It reaches into the realm Holocaust denial and/or the praising of Nazi war criminals usually reserved on websites of very dubious reputation and frquented by even more dubious characters. Those websites have usually garnered universal condemnation and labels of "hate" sites. Most forums and online discussion groups, internet sales/chat groups and blogs readily block and bar members with such views.

After having brought up the topic with a moderator, the mod was surprised to find out that ACG has no clear-cut policy on such matter and suggested I ask the question here for members to weigh in.

So my question is simply this:

What should ACG policy be in regards to the denial/denigrating of historical war crimes, and the praising of those who were their perpetrators...particularly those who were tried and convicted?

My answer - we don't need those people here. Allowing so would might also attract unwanted attention to ACG.

Working...
X