Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

War crimes denial - should ACG have a policy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asterix View Post

What should ACG policy be in regards to the denial/denigrating of historical war crimes, and the praising of those who were their perpetrators...particularly those who were tried and convicted?

My answer - we don't need those people here. Allowing so would might also attract unwanted attention to ACG.
    We have always had a policy of not accepting posts denying historical war crimes in so far as those crimes have been subject to trial and conviction and for which there is ample evidence beyond refutation. Hence, Holocaust denial is not permitted for obvious reasons thanks to the Nuremberg Trials, documentary evidence, and admission even on the part of participants.

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
      We have always had a policy of not accepting posts denying historical war crimes in so far as those crimes have been subject to trial and conviction and for which there is ample evidence beyond refutation. Hence, Holocaust denial is not permitted for obvious reasons thanks to the Nuremberg Trials, documentary evidence, and admission even on the part of participants.
      This implies that if a recognised international court or tribunal has recognised a war crime as having occurred and has arraigned or issued a summons for an individual or individuals to answer charges arising out of this ACG has no policy. This seems odd - after all one doesn't need to have had a murderer identified, arrested and convicted to recognise that a murder has been committed. A coroner's verdict would do and surely the same applies to war crimes and international courts?
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by asterix View Post
        . . . . So my question is simply this:

What should ACG policy be in regards to the denial/denigrating of historical war crimes, and the praising of those who were their perpetrators...particularly those who were tried and convicted?

My answer - we don't need those people here. Allowing so would might also attract unwanted attention to ACG.
        My answer is diametrically opposed to your answer. The ACG administration need do nothing of a policy character in order to confront those who would deny war crimes/crimes against humanity/acts of genocide. The deniers of such are as common as dirt. No forum policy can change that. It is the duty of the forum membership to confront the deniers, to overwhelm them with the weight of their scholarship and evidence. If the administration establishes a policy of blocking posts and/or posters, then the members will grow lax in their duty: their duty as amateur scholars to seek out and promote truth whenever possible, and their duty as citizens to confront those who would sow such disharmony and discontent. The policy you suggest would serve only to infantilize the members, and nothing good can come from that.

In a US context, the First Amendment not only extends freedom of expression to the citizens, but it also obliges citizens to speak truth to lies. I dare say, good sir, that your proposal not only relieves would-be scholars and citizens of their obligation to promote truth and confront deliberate falsehood, but it's frankly unAmerican, as well.

Let the losers belch: they will be overcome, with aplomb.
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Except that the admins informed us long ago that the First Amendment does not apply here.

Meanwhile, might work on fixing the IGNORE feature, which is the best way to deal with deniers and other such people.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

You including Clark, Nixon, or Obama in that list of war crime denials?
            AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
            The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
              This is a topic I'd rather avoid to touch with the proverbial one yard stick. However, there are some points I want to make: sometimes tribunals do make mistakes. And sometimes new evidence and new historical documentation are found. Some crimes are recognized by some parties but not by others. For instance, according to Wikipedia the Armenian genocide has been recognized by 29 countries and 48 US states. Is it not recognized as such by Israel, UK, the US government and, of course, by Turkey. That makes things complicated. That said, ACG can be considered like a private 'club'. Every club has its own internal rules and those who don't like them are free to move elsewhere. Personally, I'm for free speech, but it's not up to me to decide the policy of the forum.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X