Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is not working, what is gone, and how to do different things.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Karri View Post

Well, the site you are visiting uses PHPBB2. That is a free forum software. This site uses vBulleting. The site admin has absolutely no say, just like here, in what features the new version of that forum has, what features will be kept, and what will be removed. Absolutely none, unless the producer of the forum software has made that a possibility. When it comes to vBulletin, the software this site uses, there has clearly been changes throughout the years, with features removed and others added. PHPBB2 has kept the changes minimal in that sense(or perhaps, some of the changes were so small you never noticed what went missing?).

The windows servers don't really have anything to do with the site features. It just means that technology goes on and you need to keep up with it. That is to say: either upgrade to new version or suffer consequences. What features those new versions come with are not up to the site developer, but the software developer.

The only way we could get those features back would be if ACG developed its completely own version of vBulletin. Which is not possible for copyright reasons, and more importantly for monetary reasons. That is of course assuming the admins didn't simply screw up the update process...
    Thanks Kari for the tech info.

Now that I understand somewhat I will stop posting here and get on with assimilating my brain with the new format changes. I know its not rocket science and I'll be posting as usual soon enough.

Our world at Khe Sanh was blood, death, and filth with deafening gunfire and blinding explosions as a constant soundtrack...Barry Fixler
    http://sempercool.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post

I moved them to the gaming section.
      There are a couple new ones in "North Korea";
      https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...er-game-review
      &
      https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...rd-game-review

Perhaps "Armchair General" needs to be advised of the format/software change ???
      https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/m...mchair-general
      Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses.
      TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
      Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

Comment

So why can't I log in from FireFox?
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Never liked FF but regardless which browser you use should have nothing to do with your ability to log into any site.
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            So why can't I log in from FireFox?
            Interesting.
            That's whom I logged in thru.
            Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

Comment

MM, I log in through FF as well. Your problem could be in your computer. When was the last time you updated FF?

Pruitt
              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Now the Ignore feature has stopped working completely. Existing list is gone and you cannot re-create it.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

There are a couple new ones in "North Korea";
                  https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...er-game-review
                  &
                  https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...rd-game-review

Perhaps "Armchair General" needs to be advised of the format/software change ???
                  https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/m...mchair-general
                  Thanks for reporting those posts. As those posts come from whomever is directly working for the owners, I and the other Supermods do not feel confident that we have the proper authority to move them and we wait for GCoyote to do it since he is the site Admin. Please understand that it is not that we are not on top of it, we as volunteers are not going to go against someone that is actually paid by the owners.
                  Last edited by Salinator; 05 Jun 18, 20:32.
                  Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post

Thanks for reporting those posts. As those posts come from whomever is directly working for the owners, I and the other Supermods do not feel confident that we have the proper authority to move them and we wait for GCoyote to do it since he is the site Admin. Please understand that it is not that we are not on top of it, we as volunteers are not going to go against someone that is actually paid by the owners.
                    Thanks for the insight regards workings of this forum. Along with a chain of command/authority issue, I'm guessing it's also one of those many bugs~glitches as the new system works out the kinks.

I noticed the earlier batch of game related posts were moved to where they would be expected to be found and anticipate these will eventually as well..

BTW, adjustment to new looks and loss of old chrome and trim aside, the new format seems an improvement. If it doesn't crash as often as the old we'll have a great gain here.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                      Strange, using the classic ctrl + mousewheel I can blow the site up untill nothing but the box I'm typing this in fits my screen..

Letters 3-4 mm high ?

You lose oversight that way obviously...
                      Never thought of that. Great solution!
                      "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Something I asked about in another topic:

Originally posted by HMan "Since new format of forum, I do not get e-mail notice of replies. It seemed
                        old version did automatically if you replied to thread. Anything I need to
                        do? Also, there is only like 10 threads per page. It would be nice to
                        have the old version - I think it was more like 50 / page.
                        '

And a reply from a kind person:

- Scroll to top of forum
                        - From menu under your name click User Settings
                        - Click on Notifications
                        - Change Email Notifications from default of OFF to a frequency (per event, daily, or weekly)
                        - Below that, check the events for which you want notifications
                        - Click one of the Save Changes buttons

Under Account Settings to the left of User Settings you can change the number of posts per page. It's a bit of a scroll down that page, past a bunch of checkboxes.

Unfortunately, the # of posts / page is not entirely what I was looking for. # posts / page seems to be within 1 thread (say "Who was best Admiral?"),
                        but not within a sub forum (example: WW2). I am just seeing 10 threads / page past page 1 in WW2 sub forum. It seems old version had ~ 50 / page, which I liked much better
                        "The good old hockey game is the best game you can name
                        and the best game you can name is the good old hockey game"

- Stompin' Tom Connors - The Hockey Song

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post

Just a reminder on the game review threads going into the North Korea sub-forum. There's about six of them there now. Not sure why the owners would mis-place them, but hopefully GCoyote will get straightened out. I'm guessing not many are aware to go to NK rather than the usual gaming sub-forums these used to be placed in.

Comment

Something else screwy - e-mail notifications post link does NOT take you to the more current post.
                            It just goes to beginning of topic. Painful vs. old, because then you have to go to last page - which
                            may not have 1st post you didn't read, which may be on a previous page.
                            "The good old hockey game is the best game you can name
                            and the best game you can name is the good old hockey game"

- Stompin' Tom Connors - The Hockey Song

Comment

Apostrophes and speech marks not showing up for me, not certain if anyone else is experiencing this.
                              Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Originally posted by Khryses View Post
                                Apostrophes and speech marks not showing up for me, not certain if anyone else is experiencing this.
                                ' " ; : ? . < > \ | [ ] { } ( ) * & ^ % $ # @ ! ` ~ .
                                Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X