Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is not working, what is gone, and how to do different things.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've re-built my Ignore list, but it has no effect.

Navigation is pretty wonky.
    Last edited by Arnold J Rimmer; 28 May 18, 15:17.

Comment

Ignore list is still spotty at best, still have navigation issues. Is this the new standard?

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
        Still wondering why game reviews posted by Armchair General are in the North Korea sub-forum instead of somewhere more appropriate?
        They fill most of the first page and on to the second;
        https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...ic/north-korea
        I moved them to the gaming section.
        Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Over the last 24hrs, I've been experiencing delays while typing on my phone.
          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Quite a few times a mini avatar will appear over to the right of the frame flashing madly. No more than irritating for me but possibly more of a problem for someone with a predisposition for migraine or even epilepsy.
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

One problem is the small number of current posts. Items are barely available for discussion before they are forced onto page two or more and no longer catch the attention of viewers.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Trolls on my ignore list are still showing up in threads. I keep double checking each and every time and it's still happening.
                The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Interestingly I can see every post (including by those people I have on ignore) except for Mountain Man. With his post I just get empty space.
                  Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
                    Trolls on my ignore list are still showing up in threads. I keep double checking each and every time and it's still happening.
                    This is an informative thread. Don't take cheap shots at other members.

ACG Staff
                    Last edited by Salinator; 01 Jun 18, 19:29.

Comment

I am a relative newcomer as I joined 3 years ago and there are many of you here since 2005-2010. Was there ever a complete and total washout of a format/operating system like this recent one?

I have read the first 2 pages of this thread and see many complaints with no positives. It would seem the old format/operating system was much better. So what if it crashed every now and then. And I am no expert on servers but I am positive the problems with the older system crashing could have been solved without deleting all of the features and making posting options difficult. I for one like the deleted version much better. When the site first came back up the tech wrote that some of the options had to be axed to keep the site from crashing. I'm not buying it. Once again I am no computer expert but I do know that anything can be done to maintain what you desire. I belong to another site where there is a yearly fee of 30 dollars per member (same price for 15 years now) and yes, it to crashes occasionally, but is always back up and running with the same system usually in 1-2 days never a week like had been the case numerous times here. Of course the members yearly subscription payments allow for options I would think in the owner(s) of the site paying for tech and devises. I would happily pay a yearly fee to have the old system back. There were many advertisements on this site (I assume they pay ??) and the constant adobe video advertisements using plug-ins would slow you to a crawl when posting unless your pc was up to date on this matter. I discovered a way around that by pausing the video every time i went in and out of pages.

In closing it seems to me that this could have been solved while saving the old operating system and format that, as the above posts prove, everyone liked better then this new one. If it is a matter of profit with the owner(s) of the site, and the advertisements were not enough, then use a reasonable yearly fee and give us the old format/operating system back.

I hope my post is not deleted but used as advice for the ACG website owner(s) to use alternative options, without creating a sub-par format/operating system (in direct comparison to the old one), when performing routine and sometimes complex maintenance on the website.

Paul from NY.

Theo mir ist die munition ausgegangen ich werde diesen ramman auf wiedersehen uns in walhalla

Comment

I'm already pretty much used to the new forums. People always bitch about any kind of change. Wait a year and then switch back to the old forum and they will complain about the same stuff

The only feature I want added is to jump to the last page of the discussion on any thread. Extra clicks and browsing required now, unless I am missing something.

EDIT:
                        Oh, it's that blue rewind arrow. nevermind then.

Originally posted by Kurt Knispel View Post
                        And I am no expert on servers but I am positive the problems with the older system crashing could have been solved without deleting all of the features and making posting options difficult.
                        How exactly? The new forum is the newest version of the same forum software. The old version would sooner or later become totally obsolete, and would only add issues from security to functionality on each passing day. It's not only a matter of forum software but also of every technology tied to it. The best solution is to simply upgrade. Unless you want to start modifying the older version, as well as associated technologies such as the server operating systems. That would probably run costs into millions.

Wisdom is personal

Comment

How exactly? The new forum is the newest version of the same forum software. The old version would sooner or later become totally obsolete, and would only add issues from security to functionality on each passing day. It's not only a matter of forum software but also of every technology tied to it. The best solution is to simply upgrade. Unless you want to start modifying the older version, as well as associated technologies such as the server operating systems. That would probably run costs into millions.

Hello Karri

I had to copy and paste your above quote since I only wanted this portion and could not find the quote wraps which were formally on the top tool bar.

How would it become obsolete?...explain this to me in laymans terms if you can.

The website I subscribe to on a yearly basis has been upgraded many times when a situation arises (like what happened here), or to simply add new features. This website:

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/

has been up and running since 2001. It has approximately 5,000 members globally. It is a dog pedigree database that allows all users to create and put into the server a 6 generation pedigree of a dog. It looks like this:

http://apbt.online-pedigrees.com/mod...ree&dog_id=183

As you can see each 6 gen pedigree has 30 dogs listed. These are created daily as new generations of dogs are bred. It also has an extensive forum section and too many other features to list here. It has never been "obsolete" but continually "evolving"

I copied and pasted the links above which I was able to do on the old version of ACG but I do not think it worked as I checked preview and the links failed. You will have to copy and paste to your web browser.

Paul in NY

Edit: The links did work just cannot view them properly on preview page...
                          Theo mir ist die munition ausgegangen ich werde diesen ramman auf wiedersehen uns in walhalla

Comment

Hello Karri

I had to copy and paste your above quote since I only wanted this portion and could not find the quote wraps which were formally on the top tool bar.
                            The quote button is on the left bottom corner of the post.

How would it become obsolete?...explain this to me in laymans terms if you can.
                            It already was obsolete, hence the upgrade. In laymans terms; Let's imagine this forum software was designed to be run on Windows 2001 server. Windows 2019 server is being released this year. Obviously you need to upgrade your servers at some point. If the forum software is not compatible with the new servers it is obviously obsolete. That's just one component.

///SNIP///
                            It also has an extensive forum section and too many other features to list here. It has never been "obsolete" but continually "evolving"
                            So...it has been updated and upgraded on a steady basis. How does that mean that we should degrade this forum software to the old version?
                            Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post

The quote button is on the left bottom corner of the post.

It already was obsolete, hence the upgrade. In laymans terms; Let's imagine this forum software was designed to be run on Windows 2001 server. Windows 2019 server is being released this year. Obviously you need to upgrade your servers at some point. If the forum software is not compatible with the new servers it is obviously obsolete. That's just one component.

So...it has been updated and upgraded on a steady basis. How does that mean that we should degrade this forum software to the old version?
                              Yes it evolves by adding features to the ones THAT WERE ALREADY THERE. It does not wipe out the original format/operating system to "fix" shut down problems. It has been online since 2001, as I already stated, and is able to continue operating, without deleting the first and original format and features through countless "windows operating systems", over the last 17 years, while continuing to add new features to the ones its members have already since the start and are accustomed to using. As far as Windows servers, if they are continually updated then why has the website example I posted been able to add features without deleting old ones during said changes while ACG could not or would not.

Comment

Yes it evolves by adding features to the ones THAT WERE ALREADY THERE. It does not wipe out the original format/operating system to "fix" shut down problems. It has been online since 2001, as I already stated, and is able to continue operating, without deleting the first and original format and features through countless "windows operating systems", over the last 17 years, while continuing to add new features to the ones its members have already since the start and are accustomed to using. As far as Windows servers, if they are continually updated then why has the website example I posted been able to add features without deleting old ones during said changes while ACG could not or would not.

Well, the site you are visiting uses PHPBB2. That is a free forum software. This site uses vBulleting. The site admin has absolutely no say, just like here, in what features the new version of that forum has, what features will be kept, and what will be removed. Absolutely none, unless the producer of the forum software has made that a possibility. When it comes to vBulletin, the software this site uses, there has clearly been changes throughout the years, with features removed and others added. PHPBB2 has kept the changes minimal in that sense(or perhaps, some of the changes were so small you never noticed what went missing?).

The windows servers don't really have anything to do with the site features. It just means that technology goes on and you need to keep up with it. That is to say: either upgrade to new version or suffer consequences. What features those new versions come with are not up to the site developer, but the software developer.

The only way we could get those features back would be if ACG developed its completely own version of vBulletin. Which is not possible for copyright reasons, and more importantly for monetary reasons. That is of course assuming the admins didn't simply screw up the update process...
                                Wisdom is personal

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X