Well, I was thinking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I was thinking...

And as I do when I think, something stupid and off topic came to my mind. I don't know about everyone else, but those [12+] thingys are getting boring. Plus it looks...out of place. I congradulate those responsible for that thinking though! I also understand that rep and medals and pips, etc is for entertainment and has no real value, but... How about for every 10 medals..you get some sort of other medal. Like, a cross, or different colored and shaped medal? Just brings a little more life to it... I think it would fit pretty easily into the place whee the little [15+] thingys are.

So, any ideas? Good idea? Bad idea? Trevor is a [email protected] idoit?
    I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

What is it with you military guys? They don't give you enough fruit salad already ?

Just kidding..
    So, any ideas? Good idea? Bad idea? Trevor is a [email protected] idoit? .. Trevor good boy..hehehe It would really spruce things up a little..but what do I know.. I ain't got no medals, ribbons, or will even have to worry about it for a while(workin on it though .. )

Comment

I kind of agree, but I can't really think of anything better. Even if there are new "bulk" medals, people will eventually get those stacked up as well.

If the Powers That Be are up for making any kind of tweaks to the rep system, they could come up with more categories and for the rep values. Almost everyone on this board "has achieved enlightenment [1200+]".
      "I am not an atomic playboy."
      Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

P.s. Yes I was military ..Yes I had some fruit salad(not much though).. And no it was never enough .

Fruit salad = medals and ribbons worn on chest portion of uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by comm. waffle View Post
          How about for every 10 medals..you get some sort of other medal. Like, a cross, or different colored and shaped medal? Just brings a little more life to it... I think it would fit pretty easily into the place whee the little [15+] thingys are.

I think a cash reward would be good. Do you think Eric will spring for that ?

Comment

Originally posted by mirrorshades View Post
            I kind of agree, but I can't really think of anything better. Even if there are new "bulk" medals, people will eventually get those stacked up as well.

If the Powers That Be are up for making any kind of tweaks to the rep system, they could come up with more categories and for the rep values. Almost everyone on this board "has achieved enlightenment [1200+]".
            But look at Admiral and Cyberia. They have the highest of anyone and are only near 20 or 30. If someone filled up 10 of the seond medals, than they get another different medal (like a Medal of Honor, or Declaration of Valor, etc) I think it'd be safe to say that after while, one will be all we see.
            I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

Not a bad idea CW, could have a medal that equals 10 medals on the top row, existing medals and the secon and pips on the third row. It would take a long time to get a row of 10 medal medals!
              Wolster

Comment

Originally posted by comm. waffle View Post
                And as I do when I think, something stupid and off topic came to my mind. I don't know about everyone else, but those [12+] thingys are getting boring. Plus it looks...out of place. I congradulate those responsible for that thinking though! I also understand that rep and medals and pips, etc is for entertainment and has no real value, but... How about for every 10 medals..you get some sort of other medal. Like, a cross, or different colored and shaped medal? Just brings a little more life to it... I think it would fit pretty easily into the place whee the little [15+] thingys are.

I tried this idea with a thread in Barracks but in got donged on the head pretty quickly... guess I'm an idiot too eh Comm.waffle!
                "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
                Mark Twain.

Comment

Much ado about.....................

HP
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

........absolutely nothing!

The rep of anyone here, and a buck, still don't buy a cup of coffee anywhere on these forums.

As long as rep given in the Barracks (non-military history) counts, it's a dog & pony show - for the most part!

Last edited by Admiral; 30 Sep 07, 07:58.
                    On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
                      ........absolutely nothing!

The rep of anyone here, and a buck, still don't buy a cup of coffee anywhere on these forums.

As long as rep given in the Barracks (non-military history) counts, it's a dog & pony show - for the most part!

To me it seems like a good idea!

Although you get the "special medal" by every five medals you got...

and they could be different medals every time!!!

To spice things up....

Comment

Something that is so utterly pointless, isn't really much fun guys.

Being given out a 1 increment of rep is not much by comparison to being given out some massive sum of rep by someone with a major rep effect of course. But being given out that massive sum of rep for essentially no real effort also diminishes it's worth and in the process makes it meaningless.

At work being given a raise is nice and clearly some things are better if they are more. But what does anyone actually get for all this rep? Just more rep?
                        If you boss said you in addition to your real paycheque you were getting a raise in your wooden nickels from 5 wooden nickels to 5 dollars in wooden nickels who cares if a wooden nickel is worthless? Oh but it's just for fun you say. Well doesn't it actually need to be fun first?

I appreciate the modest bit of rep I have been given but really the only part that was any fun was the small remarks I was given in the comment portion to be honest. To those comments I say thank you. They make me feel welcome.

If they were to have some tangible worth, something I could really use then you bet I would like them more seriously.

Here's an idea but one only Eric can offer really. Let each medal be worth something like maybe 50 cents off of the subscription price for his print magazine. And when used, then the medals are spent and must be regained.
                        Although this could end up being abused so I would make it so only staff could hand out rep and in that way being helpful in posting could be given appreciation in a simple easy fashion. I suppose the staff would have to be given a preset amount of rep they could offer to make matters simple.

That would be fun.
                        But right now well my definition of what I consider fun might be different I suppose.
                        Life is change. Built models for decades.
                        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Its only tangible value is as a quick PM... as is.

Any visual representation of it is recreational eye candy.

Nothing more.

If I could turn off the display of them - & still see the commentary - I would have long ago.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Whooa, Hold your horses there guys. Rep may be only for fun as they say ...But It does mean something, and does have value. I means that you have made some very cogent points in your discussions; and lets others know that you are a valued member of your foruming community. When I look at someones post and look at their rep, it says to me that some one other than their mother loves them
                            But really it does give you some idea of how much weight thier opinion carries with other memebers of the forum. There are some members whom I have clashed with on the forums, however if they have large reps; it will cause me to instead of just dismissing them out of hand as trolling nutjobs ; instead I continue looking at their other posts for useful or informative ideas. And more often than not find a post that teaches me something.

So goooo Joe! oops...I mean gooo rep...

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
                              [CENTER]........absolutely nothing!
                              As long as rep given in the Barracks counts,
                              So what you are saying is there is nothing to read here

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                                Prawn heads
                                by Karri
                                How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                Today, 11:40
                              • Jose50
                                Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                by Jose50
                                Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                Today, 08:41
                              • Von Richter
                                Sagittarius Rising...
                                by Von Richter
                                Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                Today, 01:19
                              Working...
                              X