This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reputation?

While this feature might work well on paper, it surely doesn't work well in reality.

For example: I received a negative review for this post.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...303#post748303

Thread Date Posted By Comment
    My Countries better... 25 Aug 07 21:51 *******************
    Response:
    I received a negative review for that!

Hey, when you grow the **** up, I'll pat ya on the back, shake your hand, and say good on ya. But until then, perhaps you could find a better way of expressing your adolescent and immature attitude/anger, other than that of rating a benign response of mine as you have. At present, all you've done is to make yourself out too be stupid and ignorant.

*******************? Now, If I had been out of line or insulting, then yeah, it would've been deserved. But this is ridiculous in the least, and raises questions as how too this system really works, and if it even works at all.

Proscribed content removed.

ACG Staff
    Last edited by Admiral; 26 Aug 07, 23:08. Reason: Member is advised to read established forum rules in regard to PM's & Reputation private comments.

Discussion including the content of PMs & Reputation messages without the permission of the originating member is expressly proscribed by forum rules. They are private & should remain so. If a threat has been made, report it to a member of Staff or Admin.

The Reputation function is simply available to & based upon member input. It has no official bearing upon the good standing of any member here. It exists for no other purpose than that of entertainment. The display of it can be turned off by any member choosing not to participate in it.

It, and a nickel, will still not buy you a cup of coffee anywhere within these forums.

Nor should it.

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Are you referring to pictures in post #199?

Because that's where the link went at least.

Nice pictures btw.

I have flubbed before and made public Reps before, and told it's totally not kosher.

But, here's a dose of rep, chances are I just gave you more than the other took

That alone should bug the offender
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Aries View Post
        Are you referring to pictures in post #199?

Because that's where the link went at least.

Nice pictures btw.

I have flubbed before and made public Reps before, and told it's totally not kosher.

But, here's a dose of rep, chances are I just gave you more than the other took

That alone should bug the offender
        I just don't get it, Les. I spose it's obvious that it was an attempt to **** me off perhaps, but I'm a far more mellow person as of late. It still raises questions concerning the rating system.

Comment

Originally posted by Marines View Post
          I just don't get it, Les. I spose it's obvious that it was an attempt to **** me off perhaps, but I'm a far more mellow person as of late. It still raises questions concerning the rating system.
          If you belive the rep line means anything, check out "Tom DeFranco". Read his posts and see his "rep". The guy is a major player in the ACW and Napolean threads, and doesn't care a whit about his "rep". There are many alike on this forum. We stay because we read them.
          My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post
            Discussion including the content of PMs & Reputation messages without the permission of the originating member is expressly proscribed by forum rules. They are private & should remain so.

So, when someone is complaining, as Marines is, its obviously againt PM III, so he's not going to give Marines permission to do something thats against him, am i missing sometihng important?

sp If a threat has been made, report it to a member of Staff or Admin.
            Understood clearly. But Marines is reporting a complaint, not a threat, so I'm a little confused ot why you need premission form someone to complain about them, but not if they threaten you.

The Reputation function is simply available to & based upon member input. It has no official bearing upon the good standing of any member here. It exists for no other purpose than that of entertainment. The display of it can be turned off by any member choosing not to participate in it.
            Understood aswell.

It, and a nickel, will still not buy you a cup of coffee anywhere within these forums.

Nor should it.
            'It' meaning reputation points, right? Than yes, rep is for fun.

I don't mean to be a pain Wes, but this just doesn't make sense to me, that if you have a complaint about someone else, but you need their permission to make the complaint. No punches?
            I am a simple man. I am by no means smarter than the average man. I am average...yet genius.

Comment

Originally posted by comm. waffle View Post
              So, when someone is complaining, as Marines is, its obviously againt PM III, so he's not going to give Marines permission to do something thats against him, am i missing sometihng important?

Understood clearly. But Marines is reporting a complaint, not a threat, so I'm a little confused ot why you need premission form someone to complain about them, but not if they threaten you.

Understood aswell.

'It' meaning reputation points, right? Than yes, rep is for fun.

I don't mean to be a pain Wes, but this just doesn't make sense to me, that if you have a complaint about someone else, but you need their permission to make the complaint. No punches?
              It's not entirely that, mate. But close too par!

If I were to say, start a thread concerning soup, and stated that Campbell's is the greatest soup of all time. Only to receive a like comment, how would you feel. Not emotionally speaking of course, but how would you receive said comment? Most likely you would be impressed upon the point that said comment was rather stupid, and possibly, continue with your day.

This raises questions concerning the rating system. But I will say that I honestly couldn't give a [email protected]&t one way or the other, as I check that portion of the CP maybe once every two months... if that. However, if it concerns a real topic, of real relevance, what's too stop a person that hates said issue, say, Darfur, to rate said topic with a negative rating because they are a "************"?

And yes, I've received that response via email from a member here concerning Darfur. This one however, put me over the edge.

Proscribed content removed.

ACG Staff
              Last edited by Admiral; 26 Aug 07, 22:55. Reason: This member is advised to read & abide by forum rules. In addition... Such complaints should be made by proper means.

Comment

Originally posted by Marines View Post
                While this feature might work well on paper, it surely doesn't work well in reality.

For example: I received a negative review for this post.

Yes, but don't you think some of those photos were a little bit over the top

Comment

I did not stutter, comm waffle.

He, you, anybody can complain.

However, the contents of any & all PM's or Reputation messages are exclusively between both parties involved. Period. Beyond the permissions of both parties, the contents of either are not allowed in any public discussions in these forums. What occurs privately between any or all members is none of your business. It is none of mine. It is frankly no-one else's business. It is not even ACG Staffs business, short of that proscribed by established rules.

The rules are quite plain. Read them!

Originally posted by Armchair General Forum Rules
                  PRIVATE MESSAGES & REPUTATION COMMENTS

The private message system is intended to be a private correspondence between two or more people on the forums, which is not for public consumption. It is common courtesy and standard practice to NOT post the contents of private messages on the public forum unless you have the affirmation of all parties involved. You wouldn't want your private email being read to the whole world would you? Treat private messages in the same way.

The Reputation Comment system is also intended for non-public viewing, and posting private comments is strongly discouraged.

If you feel the private message system is being used to threaten, intimidate, or otherwise harass you, please contact an administrator for help.
                  If you have not read them before this opportunity then it is well past the time it should have occurred. Plainly, if one would rather extend personal animosities into these public forums they may well be invited to do it elsewhere... this is most certainly not the place. You may consider my comments here as re-affirmation that "posting private comments is strongly discouraged."

If private contents are posted publicly in these forums, the post is subject to edit, the thread is subject to closure, and further action may well be pending as per Administrators discretion.
                  Last edited by Admiral; 26 Aug 07, 23:20. Reason: Clarity
                  On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X