Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use this site?

Howdy all;

I'm hoping someone here can explain a couple of things so I can better understand/use this site. I'm kinda new to these sort of forum discussions in general (see my number of posts) and would appreciate your insight.

1) A number of threads become quite lengthy, so when posting in response to a specific person's post, people seem to be able to reference their quote with all the details and it is obvious that this is the post that they are responding to. I've been doing cut and paste and it kinda looks like it is part of my statement as opposed to use as a reference (Bleech! I've just re-read what I have written, not too clear but best that I can do). I hope you can make out what I mean. So, how do you do a proper post response?

2) I read a thread (since closed) referring to the pips in a person's post. I'm assuming these are the red or green little squares that appear in the top right corner of posts under that person's name/location etc. Is this some sort of red/yellow card assignment ala football (ROW style)?

Many thanks in advance.

Welcome!

1. Use the 'quote' function in the lower right corner of the post. It will display the post you are referencing in your reply.

2. The red and green pips are a representation of the reputation of the poster on the forum. (This is not necessarily accurate )
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Canuckster, I have moved this thread into the Basic Training forum. If you go to the top of the page & click on 'Basic Training', you will find several threads that will help you figure out the various features & issues that you might have or encounter.

As a new member, you may wish to start with one of the top threads about expanding your experiences. It will allow you to set up your options to see all threads in any given forum, which will allow you to see all previous threads - new & old alike. While you are on the same page to change the settings for threads, you can also change your 'Basic Editor" to a more advanced post editor which adds several options to the top of all post editors. (The thingy you write posts with in any given thread) Once this occurs, you can experiment with each feature in this forum & gain more insight into their uses & other finer points from others.

(I have used colors & bold for the following, but ignore them in actuality...) As to a simple manner of 'quoting' another, manually, you can simply type these tags, but the more advanced editors will add them for you: [quote][/quote] If you want the posters name or source of the quote to show, you would add an = & their name to the 1st tag, as such: [quote=Freightshaker][/quote] After you've done this, simply cut & past the part of their post, or any other material you wish to quote from another source between the tags at the point that I have placed the following green X, in a complete set of tags: ...shaker]X[/quo...

The result will look as this:
      Originally posted by Freightshaker
      Welcome!

1. Use the 'quote' function in the lower right corner of the post. It will display the post you are referencing in your reply.

2. The red and green pips are a representation of the reputation of the poster on the forum. (This is not necessarily accurate )

Don't be afraid to use this forum to ask questions about anything regarding the methods & means of forum usage here... the place is filled with helpful people that love doing so.

Welcome & Good Luck!

Last edited by Admiral; 11 Aug 07, 15:37. Reason: Clarity
      On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Har, me last post was so full of typos...

It's fixed now!

Y'ARR!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
          Welcome!

Thanks Freighter, that was easy (Maybe I should check results first) Much appreciated.

Edit--Don't mind me, just doing some testing with quotes, edit features etc. Gonna try doing manual with Admirals advance next (thank you too btw), may take a while.
          Last edited by Canuckster; 11 Aug 07, 15:42.

Comment

No worries, mate, that's what this place is for.

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
              As a new member, you may wish to start with one of the top threads about expanding your experiences. It will allow you to set up your options to see all threads in any given forum, which will allow you to see all previous threads - new & old alike. While you are on the same page to change the settings for threads, you can also change your 'Basic Editor" to a more advanced post editor which adds several options to the top of all post editors. (The thingy you write posts with in any given thread) Once this occurs, you can experiment with each feature in this forum & gain more insight into their uses & other finer points from others.
              let's see what happens

Edit--thanks Admiral. Your great tip made it seem too easy. With a little bit of practice, do you think I could get a job at Microsoft?
              Last edited by Canuckster; 11 Aug 07, 15:59.

Comment

Welcome Canuckster.

Think of this forum as a large building with many rooms. Not unlike a hotel I guess.

In each room, you can assume there are many threads, think of them as groups of people talking.

And each group of people, well they won't all be talking about the main topic either for that matter.

Now remember, not everyone is going to like you, nor will you like everyone you encounter. Some will see things quite differently too. You will though find that most people are just here for the chat, and you likely will stumble on some of the most interesting conversations.

There's no such thing as a dumb post, but, some times we do say things that in retrospect were dumb Then again, sometimes you will post something, and everyone will be quite impressed with what you said. Some might be so impressed they use the rep function to add to you accumulated rep. And of course, occasionally you will ruffle feathers, and they might send negative rep. That happens very little though, so don't fret over it.

ACG is predictably focused on military matters (makes sense), but, we do have sections where you can discuss any thing under the sun (and a lot of us often do). Hope you feel welcome enough to wade in on any conversation that interests ya.
                Life is change. Built models for decades.
                Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X