Flame-Baiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flame-Baiting

Besides the already mentioned offenses in the FAQ, I think "Trolling" a.k.a Flame-Baiting should be forbidden as well. Flame-Baiting is basiclly the practice of writing a message in such a way as to provoke another discussioner into attacking (a.k.a flaming) you.
    "Beneath its gilded beauty, though, there lies a poorly designed game which rewards the greedy and violent, and punishes the hardworking and honest; and if you think about it, that's a good representation of capitalism" - Nightfreeze about Eve Online

Good sentiments but its a pretty big call on this Forum where there are so many diverging interests. One mans troll is anothers valid post.

Comment

Originally posted by Geordie View Post
      Good sentiments but its a pretty big call on this Forum where there are so many diverging interests. One mans troll is anothers valid post.
      True, but those are more based on subjective opinion rather then actually being flame baits. An actual flame bait is usually when you insult somebody in a indirect manner. Instead of flaming him outright, you write your words as if you are implying on that. So for example, instead of saying "Your an idiot for thinking like that!", you say "I would be an idiot to think like that." It`s still insulting, but it isn`t an outright flame.
      "Beneath its gilded beauty, though, there lies a poorly designed game which rewards the greedy and violent, and punishes the hardworking and honest; and if you think about it, that's a good representation of capitalism" - Nightfreeze about Eve Online

Comment

Human discourse is never that easy.

They pen rules that are meant to be followed, but often a person can follow the rules and not even bend them slightly, and yet still be an offensive troll in their own way.

And part of the problem with the whole "troll" thing is, the term is often press ganged the second one side of a multi sided argument feels a rival opinion is no longer welcome.

Some topics are unable to be much of anything else other than flame bait regardless of how politely the participants try and be. And it only takes one person joining a thread that feels a need to be nasty, even if the previous mix of participants has been entirely civil to each other.

In my experience, about the only stuff easy to moderate, is direct personal attacks. Those tend to be flat out obvious for what they are, and are easy to deal with. Grey comments are not so simple.
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

concur... and after 15 years plus on the boards, as a mod and as a member, it is easy to deal with the obvious..that ,at after all, is why there has to be a basic trust in the objectivity of the stafff, while concurently they demonstrate prescence, to deal with obvious trolling and flaming...it's also why we have a reporting system.

I been on forums where the staff was imo, 'cliquist or noninterested' in one extreme, to the 'overkill version', which stifles dialogue, for every non pc infraction, in an other extreme...

to the one here, which is top notch. There not dead at the wheel and it damn sure helps when the owner shows up and participates, not because he doesn't trust his staff but it shows an interest, in what were supposded to be all about.

best
          CV

Comment

Gotta agree with CV here Tom. Actually, given the points discussed and the international flavor of the site, I am amazed it doesn't happen more often. Simply the cultural differences in humor and satire have made posters call others to task for certain statements. Almost invariably, there is a quick explanation, an apology and the discussion continues. Most trollers are quickly laid out by people seriously discussing the thread's topic. AND there are some serious heavy hitters here! If the infraction continues, I have seen the Staff come down hard on the offenders. I think they have the situation covered.
            My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

Even as such, I still think it should be made a forbidden practice. Provoking somebody to flame you is just as bad (if not worst) then do the flaming yourself. At the very least, it will give those who practice this some though if they really want to do it.

While it is true it`s not always easy to point out, it sometimes is fairly obvious enough. It`s in those kind of situations where staff can and should intervene. The members can also help by reporting suspicious posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phoenix View Post
                Even as such, I still think it should be made a forbidden practice. Provoking somebody to flame you is just as bad (if not worst) then do the flaming yourself. At the very least, it will give those who practice this some though if they really want to do it.

While it is true it`s not always easy to point out, it sometimes is fairly obvious enough. It`s in those kind of situations where staff can and should intervene. The members can also help by reporting suspicious posts.
                Tom, I understand completely, but ACG here is IMHO as good as it gets. There is one forum that I visit where you cannot respond to a post by quoting or referring to another member because that would make it 'personal'. Try figuring out who is speaking to whom gets tiresome. At another site the majority of the participants seem to be either moderators with an average of around 20,000 posts and newbies that get beat-up on by the moderators themselves! I've seen it where a newbie ask a question and he would get replies from a number of moderators like: 1) Are your retarded? 2) Have you tried reading? 3) There is plenty of information out there, read it and then come back. 4) How does this add to the discussion? 5) Are you trying to pad your post-count? 6) Get the F*** off my forum, come back when you have learned history.
                Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Ooh sound interesting, any links to that Forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Geordie View Post
                    Ooh sound interesting, any links to that Forum?
                    See PM.
                    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

I don't see much of a problem with this in this forum. Sure it happens at times, but sometimes anything you say can provoke different people in different ways when you have this many different nationalities and personalities involved in the discussions here. Trust me, IT CAN BE MUCH WORSE, and I have seen it much worse in other forums that will remain unnamed. The worst ones are re-enactor forums. The best way to deal with it is to ignore it unless it becomes an actual personal insult to someone and starts interfering with the thread involved. The only advice I can give you is to deal with it and move on. And if it's someone doing it to you don't take the bait. The can't moderate everything you know.
                      It's my firm conviction that when Uncle Sam calls, by God we go, and we do the best that we can. - R. Lee Ermey

Comment

Flaming used to be fun, about 5 years ago. One of the boards I frequent has a flamesection. From time to time it can be fun to fling poo with abandon, butnow it sits mostly empty with glorious threads from the past collecting dust.

Comment

I think you need to realise the world has a few bumps and sharp edges that you can be bruised on. They are not going away because you do not like them.
                          Your post sounds way too much like what they are doing to the male children here in America.
                          You are trying to create a scenerio that other posters do not seem to see.
                          I have spent a lot of time on a lot of boards and this does seem to be the best in terms of disagreements.
                          If everyone agreed on everything there wouldn't be much point to any of this.
                          I am fairly opinionated, but am willing to be corrected or called a jerk or worse if I deserve it.
                          You are insisting on creating some kind of control in the face of quite a few rational disagreements.
                          I have seen this turn a couple forums into ghost towns.
                          I think the members here have done a pretty good job policing themselves.

Comment

What I like about this site is the disagreements and debates. Sometimes it gets heated and personal but most times the participants back away and it calms down. As for trolling, it's usually recognized pretty quickly and shut down when the moderator gets alerted to it. The ACW forum went through it a few months ago and Hellboy and others did a good job in policing it and stopping it before it got out of control. My vote goes for a very well run site and not too much trolling goes on. Unless of course you wander into the Gulf
                            War and Terrorism forums! Those ones are the most prone to heated arguments.
                            Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

What about Counter-Trolling Operations?
                              Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X