This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAQ: How Do I Report a Troublemaker? [Who is Bad Wolf?]

Question: We have had numerous people ask this question, so here is an official explanation of how we handle troublemakers on the forums. Several people have said "how can you guys allow so-and-so to post his nonsense on the forums all the time, why don't you kick them off permanently?"

Answer: Our forum is like any social gathering in the real world. The host invites people into his home, and typically those people will break off into groups and hang out at various points in the house, discussing the topics which mutually interest them. Usually, as long as your guests aren't talking about murdering someone, or how to best destroy your house or steal your goods, you don't keep track of everything being said by everyone. It is pretty rare that someone will run around pushing over other guests or getting into fist fights - but I guess it can happen. Those are the times when the host will clearly see what is going on, and eject that person out the door.

The other 99% of the time any troublemaking is going to be hidden from the host, probably since he is in the kitchen making drinks for his guests. When this happens, it is up to other guests who are around this troublesome person to come out and just give the host a heads up on what may be a problem in another room. Even if a person is being a bit unruly, the host will take his cue from his guests and say "yeah, they are whooping it up in there, but not breaking anything so things are OK for now. Nobody is complaining!"

This is how we at Armchair General handle almost all the "moderation" on these forums - and we do it by having you the membership use the Bad Post Report button (top right of every post = ). This is the way you can say "hey, you might want to check this guy out - he seems to be throwing up on your other guests, and is out of control!" Otherwise, we'll probably never know about it as there are just too many posts, forums, and members for our staff to keep track of it all. We also don't follow blood feuds and other inter-personal conflicts. Each infraction you report should be clear and to the point. If the guy is tearing up your carpet you'll do something about it no questions asked...but if he and another guy are arguing and calling each other names they are BOTH responsible no matter who started it. You can't call in staff to back you up if you are actually part of the altercation!

We've adopted this methodology a long time ago, and it has worked very well. The staff here are free to focus on gaming and history, instead of micro-managing and spanking bad people. That just isn't what we are here to do.

So, if you see someone being a bad guest, breaking our rules, tearing up carpet, and so forth, please take a moment to use the bad post report button and bring it to our attention. Dont' assume someone else has already done it. However, if you don't see us do anything about it in public - don't fret. Almost all of our contacts are done behind the scenes, and privately.

Question 2: Who is Bad Wolf?

Answer 2: Bad Wolf is the face of the administration/staff when something needs to be said publicly about a problem. You won't know who it is. He talks to no one. He says very little. He is always grumpy when we have to bring him out of his cage to put an end to shenanigans. We found that sometimes when our volunteer staff members were just doing their job and enforcing the rules, members would take it personally and hound said staff member beyond what one considers reasonable. By making discipline the responsibility of Bad Wolf, people can take their anger out on him instead of the ACG staff.

Question 3: Why can't I see anything in the Bad Post Report forum?

Answer 3: Because you didn't report anything. If you report a post, it will show up there so you can see if any action was taken. You will not see the text of the discussion, only the result (if any). Learn more here.

Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

MUST READ: Signature Spammers

For some time now an increasing number of signature spammers are trying to sneak in the ACG forums to sell their crap. When you notice a new member with a link to a commercial site in his signature, don't bother answering him, they are systematically eradicated, just report them using the bad post report button (), Bad Wolf will take care of the rest...thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
      For some time now an increasing number of signature spammers are trying to sneak in the ACG forums to sell their crap. When you notice a new member with a link to a commercial site in his signature, don't bother answering him, they are systematically eradicated, just report them using the bad post report button (), Bad Wolf will take care of the rest...thanks all!
      Alright mate, Will do, although I haven't noticed any of those wankers yet...
      "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Me niether but I will keep a watch out for them.
        Last edited by Johnny_Reb; 14 Mar 10, 21:13.
        In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
        - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

Comment

Originally posted by Booy View Post
          Me niether but I will keep a watch out for them.
          Can we all conspire to give them bad rep at the same time (if they don't get banned?)
          "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

The reason you seldom see em is that Boon & crew are quite adept at the fine art of tactical ambush!

Don't waste your daily Rep quota/limit on em since they're gonna get the proper maulin on their way to the guillotine.

Unless of course, the mangy mutt eats em 1st...

Ain't nobody ever figgered out how to stop him once he gets that bloody urge in his noggin...

Lassie, in heat, couldn't turn him to heal!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
              Can we all conspire to give them bad rep at the same time (if they don't get banned?)
              Sounds like a good idea.

Just hope they don't see who gave them the bad reputation
              In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
              - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Reb View Post
                Sounds like a good idea.

Just hope they don't see who gave them the bad reputation
                I think Admiral just explained things though-so maybe we shouldn't.

--Hávamál

Comment

Though some haven't noticed...

And others thought it was always this way...

Maybe it would be a good thing to splain to folks something we've done that has cut the Siggy Spammers to a tiny fraction to begin with....

When anybody joins now, before they can post any links in their posts or add anything to their Signatures they must now have at least 5 posts.

This takes the hit & run aspect & spambots generally out of the equation...

Most ain't gonna spend the time to make it possible, thus 'No Joy'!

Another fine thing brought to you by the likes of Siberian HEAT & CyberRanger due their sharp Technical Geekerie!

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post

Maybe it would be a good thing to splain to folks something we've done that has cut the Siggy Spammers to a tiny fraction to begin with....

When anybody joins now, before they can post any links in their posts or add anything to their Signatures they must now have at least 5 posts.

Another fine thing brought to you by the likes of Siberian HEAT & CyberRanger due their sharp Technical Geekerie!

That is an excellent idea. Many just have something they want to spam/advertise and they find a forum and the very first thing they post is a link in their sig and an advertisement thread. But now they actually have to interact, again, good job to HEAT and Ranger!

--Hávamál

Comment

Yeah, I really hate those people with 7 odd links in their sig, it just looks horrible and ...

Oh, forget I spoke.
                      Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral View Post

Thanks for posting this Admiral...I didn't know the new 5 post rule..tis a good one ...thanks again Siberian HEAT and CyberRanger...
                        "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                        "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
                          Yes, sir! No problem.

Comment

I love reporting those buggers. As a mod on another board I know just how sneaky and annoying they can be so any chance to cause 'em some grief is good for me.

Sic 'em Wolfie
                            Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Spammers are too annoying as they can be, so they needed to get banned right away! No more later.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X