Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's A Spider?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What's A Spider?

    This message was on current activity just now.

    Currently Active Users: 617 (35 members and 570 guests and 12 Spiders)
    Spiders ?
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

  • #2
    Robots used to catalog contents. Google uses them to build it's databases.
    Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
    Hyperwar, Whats New
    World War II Resources
    The best place in the world to "work".

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
      Robots used to catalog contents. Google uses them to build it's databases.
      Spiders are Accountant Robots? Wtf?
      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
        Spiders are Accountant Robots? Wtf?
        According to John Cleese accountants are not robots

        " So what happened to Frankenstein and the Count? They joined the legion of the living dead - yes they became Chartered Accountants" - I'm sorry I'll read that again
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

        Comment


        • #5
          So they're Google spybots...

          Today's roster of evil:
          Yahoo! Slurp, Google AdSense(3), Google(4), MSNBot(2)


          Spy on THIS, Google!
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

          Comment


          • #6
            What's all the stupid fuss about. If you've ever done a search using a search engine you'e relied on the work of a spider to keep the search engine index up to date. Hands up all those who've never done a search on the Internet. Right you can moan anyone else is a hypocrite
            Used to be called crawlers and been round even longer than Google.
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MarkV View Post
              What's all the stupid fuss about. If you've ever done a search using a search engine you'e relied on the work of a spider to keep the search engine index up to date. Hands up all those who've never done a search on the Internet. Right you can moan anyone else is a hypocrite
              Unfortunately, you have not understood my supreme ignorance about internet spiders. I can be somewhat dim some of the time.
              Originally posted by MarkV View Post
              Used to be called crawlers and been round even longer than Google.
              Spiders are less crawlers than stalkers afaik. I've seen LOTR so I know I'm right.
              How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                Spiders are Accountant Robots? Wtf?
                Not sure where "accountant" came from.
                Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                Hyperwar, Whats New
                World War II Resources
                The best place in the world to "work".

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                  Unfortunately, you have not understood my supreme ignorance about internet spiders. I can be somewhat dim some of the time.

                  Spiders are less crawlers than stalkers afaik. I've seen LOTR so I know I'm right.
                  .
                  spider. Part of the Internet technologies glossary: A spider is a program that visits Web sites and reads their pages and other information in order to create entries for a search engine index. The major search engines on the Web all have such a program, which is also known as a "crawler" or a "bot."
                  Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                  Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ugh, remember Archie? Whew, that took some work. I'm slightly surprised that ACG allows crawlerbots but I suppose ads rather require that nowadays. No biggie; it's all part of the ecosystem....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by boomer400 View Post
                      Ugh, remember Archie? Whew, that took some work. I'm slightly surprised that ACG allows crawlerbots but I suppose ads rather require that nowadays. No biggie; it's all part of the ecosystem....
                      It's also how n00bs find us.
                      Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                      Hyperwar, Whats New
                      World War II Resources
                      The best place in the world to "work".

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        In there other job, they run around the environs of Skyrim and can be annoying little buggers



                        Paul
                        ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                        All human ills he can subdue,
                        Or with a bauble or medal
                        Can win mans heart for you;
                        And many a blessing know to stew
                        To make a megloamaniac bright;
                        Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                        The Pixie is a little shite.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                          Spiders are Accountant Robots? Wtf?
                          'These aren't the robots you are looking for. They can go about their business.'
                          Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

                          Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X