Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

T1, R2, Prng 21: Norse/Viking Longships vs Chinese/Mongol War Junks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T1, R2, Prng 21: Norse/Viking Longships vs Chinese/Mongol War Junks

In your opinion, which of these two warship types was most significant, influential and/or effective?
    Feel free to apply those criteria as you please, along with any others you think appropriate.
    Note: Suggestions for some additional criteria are at the foot of this post.

According to the criteria as you see and apply them, please vote for your preferred candidate in the attached poll.
    If your chosen criteria are significantly different from those suggested, telling us what they are and why you used them would be helpful.

17. Norse/Viking Longship, late 8th-13th Centuries

Variations of the Norse/Viking Longboat/Longship were in use for at least five centuries.
    Generally, these vessels might be considered a "Nordic" variation of the galley concept.
    They usually had a relatively shallow draft, allowing them to navigate rivers very extensively, as well as shallow coastal waterways.
    They were also relatively easy to "beach"
    The medium-to-larger variants also had passable seagoing qualities, by comparison with many other types of the early medieval period.
    The fragmented geography of the Scandinavian region bred a hardy race of people who were very much at home on the water.
    Indeed, they both traded with and at times terrorized, much of NW Europe for two or three centuries.
    The Vikings travelled far and wide, around and throughout the waterways of Europe as well as across the North Atlantic.
    They are known to have operated at least as far North-West as the continent of North America and as far South-East as the Volga and the Caspian sea.

This nicely rendered drawing (painting?) shows a Viking Longship under way using full sail power and its oars shipped.
    It has 15 rowing stations on each side, for a total of 30 oarsmen.
    That would make it somewhere around medium sized, as there were variants both larger, as well as somewhat smaller, than this.
    There were some design variations too, over the half-millennium or so that this basic type of Norse/Viking vessel was in use.
    Sail power alone was a good way to move when conditions favoured it (wind strong enough and blowing in somewhere near the right direction).
    The crew could take a break from their usual exertions.
    More often, oars alone would be used but sometimes it was possible, or necessary, to employ both sources of power.

This photo shows a modern reconstruction of a medium-to-smaller sized Longship/Longboat.
    It has 10 oar stations on each side for a maximum rowing strength of 20 men; however in this instance 9 per side are being employed.
    These guys look as if they are really getting into the spirit of things, with quite authentic looking period costumes!
    Also, I'm thinking this is probably a fjord or if not, a river or piece of coastline with very steep terrain behind it.

In this picture, we have a good clear photo of a well preserved Viking longship in a museum.
    It is known as the Oseberg ship, after the locality where it was found, and was excavated in 1904, in Norway.
    The hull is "clinker built", which refers to the method of construction using a framework covered by planks or strips of timber that overlapped at the edges.
    This was the most common building method for most of the "dark age"/medieval period in Europe; and the technique itself goes back further than that.
    The decorations on its prow and stern date it to approximately 800AD.
    It has rowing stations for 30 oarsmen (15 per side), making it a fairly average sized example if my reading serves me correctly.

21. Chinese/Mongol War Junks 12th - 17th Centuries

Junks were used in trade and commerce for many centuries and they evolved over that period. The basic type is still in use today.
    The better developed versions were the most seaworthy Asian vessels in the age of sail;
    the Chinese using them for trade and exploration as far afield as India, North-East Africa and parts of the Middle East.
    The main reason for their seaworthiness, apart from very sound hull design, was the combination of sail structure and general arrangement which offered more flexibility in relation to the wind.
    In addition, junks were not used only by the Chinese and Mongols.
    Other Asian nations adopted them and they became arguably the most important type of sailing vessel - both for commercial and military use - in that part of the World.
    A range of variants has seen employment in warfare. Many of them were conversions of commercial junks but some were built as warships.
    This slightly fuzzy but still very nice drawing shows a typical medium-sized commercial junk.
    However, the range of sizes was considerable so vessels both much smaller and much larger than this existed.

Below, a well constructed and finished model of a Pirate junk.
    The variant it depicts is towards the smaller end of the size range.

Here, we see a medium-sized Mongol Chinese (Yuan Dynasty) war junk in the year 1288.
    It has become isolated and trapped during the battle of Bach Dang and is under attack from Cham war canoes.
    The Chams are hurling naptha bombs at the Chinese, while archers aboard the junk are furiously trying to fight them off.
    Prior to the engagement, the Chams placed beds of iron-spiked stakes under the water, to be exposed when the tide was lower; and arranged well-timed ambushes.
    The result was a decisive Cham victory.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...%BA%B1ng_(1288)
    However, this is probably not a good example to illustrate the attributes of the War Junk!
    That type of warship, in this time bracket and in the majority of other circumstances would be more than a match for war canoes; and most other warship types.

Well then, my friends ... what say you?
    Which of these will you favour with your vote?

Suggested additional criteria you might wish to consider, along with any others you deem appropriate.
    (Note: Some of these could be considered already covered by Significant, Influential and Effective)

Which warship type ...
    • was the best?
    • was the greatest?
    • was the most widely used?
    • had the greatest longevity in service?
    • was the most versatile?
    • represented the best value for the cost/effort invested ("bang for the buck" in today's language)?
    • was the easiest to operate?

Any other criteria you have applied (please tell us what they were).
    17. Norse/Viking Longships late 8th - 13th Centuries
    51.85%
    21. Chinese/Mongol War Junks 12th - 17th Centuries
    48.15%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by panther3485; 03 Sep 17, 05:24.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

There was a reason why they called it a Junk, think!
    My worst jump story:
    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
    No lie.

~
    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

I like the Long Ship. They operated in much more violent waters than Junks did.

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Difficult one and trying to keep my Western bias in check to be as objective as possible.

Junks visited Eastern Africa, India and, historical evidence is showing the Western coast of North America...But, internal politics, never allowed them to establish naval trade routes.

In term of influence. the Vikings' Long Boats allowed them conquest and trade all over Europe, including navigating internal river routes (the Seine, the Volga, etc.) The Long Boat allowed them to establish colonies in Iceland, Greenland and, temporarily, in Newfoundland.

My vote goes to the Norse boat.

Comment

As a fighting ship the Viking longship was IMO outclassed by the Chinese war junk. Even though the Norse vessel was highly maneuverable it lacked the heavy weaponry that the junk could bring to bear.
          ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
          IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
            As a fighting ship the Viking longship was IMO outclassed by the Chinese war junk. Even though the Norse vessel was highly maneuverable it lacked the heavy weaponry that the junk could bring to bear.
            Because it wasn't meant to be a fighting ship but a raider that could get inland up rivers.

The Junks were around a long time - until the RN arrived with armed paddle steamers
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

I like the sail structure of the war junk better than the longship.
              "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

The Longboats/Longships allowed the Norse/Vikings to explore, trade and fight over a very wide area.
                However, relatively very little fighting was done from the vessels themselves, as such.
                The War Junk was closer to being a "true" warship in its own right, IMO.
                It also covered an area that was by no means small; and probably lasted about as long if not longer.
                So it's getting my vote here.
                I see, however, that the polling is very close.
                "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X