Clear All

• Jose50
    replied
    Thanks for carrying on, Paul.

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
    "Just had a look at the polling for Round 1 so far. My observations at this point:

16 members have participated; although there are three who have only voted in 1 or 2 polls.
    Over the 32 polls as a whole, the average number of votes per poll currently stands at 9.4375.
    <snip> "
    Final figures for Round 1 of T3:

Number of participating members - 17
    Total number of votes - 339
    Per-poll votes average - 10.59*

*Note: This average doesn't look overly impressive. However I remind myself that four of the 17 members cast a combined total of only 5 votes. If we base the average purely on the 13 serious participants, we get 26.07 votes per member. That's very good; and these days at ACG - if I am to be realistic - I suppose I should probably consider anything over 10 genuine participants to be a reasonable turnout.

Anyway, as long as I can see double digit participation (serious participation, that is), I'm deeming it worth the effort. Therefore, based on anticipated continuation at that level of response or better, I'll definitely be running T4.

Best regards to everyone and thanks for ALL the support thus far (regardless of how many votes you cast),

Paul

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    Guys, I understand. I'm a relative newcomer to the subject myself.
    Until recently, I'd been an AFV enthusiast with a fairly strong secondary interest in military aircraft. It's a duality going back to my childhood and actually started with the aircraft before I got diverted to armor.

A couple or so years back, I decided to start bringing a bit more balance to my repertoire. It was painfully obvious to me that relatively speaking, I knew bugger all about warships.
    To my mind, one of the best ways to help me push the envelope was to start studying up for, and presenting, warship tournaments here at ACG. After the first tournament, I didn't need to push anymore because I became quite enthusiastic.

That said, I still have a heck of a long way to go.
    In the meantime, you guys have all been good and have (intentionally or not) helped me along the learning curve.

Leave a comment:

• Marmat
    replied
    Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    Usually I like to give an opinion justifying where I voted in these polls. I am having a hard time on this poll, but I am going to blame me. It usually boils down to the one I like best.

Pruitt
    ... and that's why you're so well liked on this board Pru, you give it your best, and you're as honest as they come.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Usually I like to give an opinion justifying where I voted in these polls. I am having a hard time on this poll, but I am going to blame me. It usually boils down to the one I like best.

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• Snowygerry
    replied
    ....although there are three who have only voted in 1 or 2 polls.
    Yes, as a token of support for your efforts in these ACG campaigns, but my preferences for particular warships are, all in all limited

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    Just had a look at the polling for Round 1 so far. My observations at this point:

16 members have participated; although there are three who have only voted in 1 or 2 polls.
    Over the 32 polls as a whole, the average number of votes per poll currently stands at 9.4375.

Of the 32 pairings, there are at present 29 with a winning ship; although in some of the polls the margin is very close: Just one vote's difference in a few cases; so they could still easily go either way. A small number of polls were "landslide" wins and three polls are currently tied.

Still a little under 4 days left until the Round 1 poll threads are actually closed. (Friday afternoon my time).
    I'll place my own votes later this week.

Last edited by panther3485; 07 Oct 19, 08:35.

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    Originally posted by marktwain View Post
    Greatest contest in a very long time, Mr. Panther. Is it too late to join?
    Regards
    Reg
    Thanks for the expression of support, Reg.
    No, it is absolutely NOT too late to join and I see that you already have!

For all members:
    At this point, we are still only in Round 1. There are five more rounds to go after that. You could join in any time you like, of course, but starting in Round 1 is the best way to go because:

(1) Being in it from the start - and in every successive round - gives you the most influence towards the final outcome. Which warship type really deserves to be the winner?

(2) The second point - in my opinion - is the sense of satisfaction you can get if you participate strongly in all of the rounds. You have both the enjoyment of playing and the feeling of having made the best possible contribution to the final outcome.

(3) The third point depends on whether or not you'd like to be named on the Roll of Honor for the ribbon award. You'll be much better placed for the award if you start in Round 1. If you miss it, you'd have to be totally sure of not missing a single poll in any of the successive rounds. On the other hand, if you complete all the polls in Round 1, you already have enough for the award even if something happens to prevent you from being able to participate in subsequent rounds.

Of course, we all think it was much better when our ribbon awards were shown individually, next to our names; but that is completely beyond my control. It's the first thing I'd change if I could!

Last edited by panther3485; 04 Oct 19, 20:29.

Leave a comment:

• marktwain
    replied
    Greatest contest in a very long time, Mr. Panther. Is it too late to join?
    Regards
    Reg

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    Hi guys,

Despite the delay, now that all 32 of the Round 1 polls for T3 are up and running, things seem to be going well enough.

We've only had the whole set in place for about the last 5 days (and not even one full weekend as yet) but already, 16 members have participated; 10 of them having voted in more than half of the 32 polls.
    Not bad. I'm hoping to see at least a few more folks jump on board over this coming weekend.

If anyone wanting to vote in all 32 is at all unsure whether or not they have actually done so already, please let me know and I can confirm for you. As per usual, I am recording all votes on a spreadsheet and can see at a glance who has voted in what polls, and how many. For example, one member has voted in 31; another in 30 ... and I'm thinking these two may have missed the remainder unintentionally? This can happen very easily.

Anyway, hope you are enjoying T3 so far.
    Best to everyone, and keep it coming!

Regards,
    Paul
    Last edited by panther3485; 04 Oct 19, 10:28.

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    Update:

My research for T3 continues as planned and the target date for this third Warships Tournament is still May/June 2019. Although the Internet is a rich source, I also like to get my hands on books that specialize in the subject matter. Below is from my most recent post in the "What are you currently reading?" thread:

<snip> ... I had already started on British Battleships of the Victorian Era by Norman Friedman. I'm resuming that one.
    Next in the queue is Before the Battlecruiser - The Big Cruiser in the World's Navies 1865-1910, by Aidan Dodson.
    After that, I've got River Gunboats - An Illustrated Encyclopaedia by Roger Branfill-Cook.

All three are from Seaforth Publishing in the UK and of considerable substance. The first two in particular will take me some time to work through, based on maybe 30 minutes of reading time each night when I go to bed. (I find that half-an-hour or so of reading helps me get to sleep).
    Unlike the first two, the River Gunboats encyclopedia will not be a "read it all from cover to cover" job but is still an impressive work.

Of course, apart from the pleasure of learning while I read, this is also to help me prepare for the next Warships Tournament. I wasn't sure whether or not I should be including river gunboats at all until I read the information on the book's jacket, which gave a brief summary of just how much important work these vessels performed in the age of steam.

My aim is to have most if not all of my reading done by the end of March, so I can start collating the information and selecting potential candidates during April. I should be in the position to start putting pairings together during May. That's the plan, anyway.

In the meantime, the T-2 poll threads have been re-opened so that anyone who missed that tournament (or didn't vote in enough polls to qualify) and would like to have a go at it, now has the opportunity to do so. Of course, the T2 poll outcomes are already decided but at least this gives folks another chance at qualifying if they want to.

Any questions or concerns, please either post here or contact me by PM if you prefer.

Best to all,
    Paul
    Last edited by panther3485; 08 Mar 19, 04:12.

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    Thanks, my friend.

I definitely intend to go ahead with T3; covering the age of the Ironclads (mid 1800's thru early 1900's).

If participation in T3 is at least as good as we got in T2 (let's hope, better), then T4 - the age of the Dreadnoughts (from the early 1900's thru the end of WW2) - should be on the cards as well.

Leave a comment:

• Jose50
    replied
    Well, I'd just like to say thank you P for all the hard work that you've done to bring this tournament to fruition and success. I suppose that the British ship of the line deserves its rightful place in history as the best there is for this time period. I'll raise a glass of Pusser's Rum (the 95 proof blue label) )to the 74 and her handlers and I'll look forward to a continuation of these tournaments in the future.

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    QUALIFICATION FOR THE ROLL OF HONOR

Following the finish of Round 6 (the Final for T2), I can now update the tally:

Total number of participating members: 27
    Number of members currently qualifying for the ribbon: 14
    Method of award:
    Members' forum names to be listed under an image of the T2 ribbon; this list to be known as the Roll of Honor.
    At this point, these members are (listed alphabetically by name):
    • 101combatvet
    • Arthwys
    • BELGRAVE
    • Jose50
    • lcm1
    • Marmat
    • Merkava188
    • Nick the Noodle
    • panther3485
    • Persephone
    • Pruitt
    • slick24
    • Tsar
    • Vaeltaja

If any other participating* members wish to boost their total and qualify, it's STILL not too late.
    Just message me and I can point you in the right direction. I will keep this option open until 25 December (Christmas Day).
    Note* - This offer applies only to members who had already voted in at least one Round by the time of closure of the Final, which was 16 December 2018.

Note 2: There is a small handful of members who are not all that far from qualifying; and one in particular who is only one poll short of the required minimum. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you are one of those folks.
    I can advise you how to increase your score (but in a way that is not unfair to other members). If you are not sure of your particular situation, PM me and I can outline exactly what you'll need to do.

Best regards to all,

panther3485
    Last edited by panther3485; 17 Dec 18, 07:17.

Leave a comment:

• panther3485
    replied
    WHAT NOW?

T2 has another 2 or 3 days to run but at this stage, as mentioned above out of 26 participants, I can at least see 12 members who were engaged enough to earn a place on the Roll of Honor (Ribbon to be displayed). I didn't say too much before this but I now feel that I should say where my "line in the sand" was:

If there had been less than 10 serious participants (that is, serious enough to qualify for the ribbon/roll of honor), I would flat-out refuse to run any more tournaments.

I knew well enough to expect a very considerable reduction in numbers, of course; and I was prepared for that. However, while one or two dozen participants is fairly dismal compared to previous expectations, serious participants numbering less than 10 could only have been considered as pathetic and not worth anyone's efforts, including my own.

So, with participant numbers being just above the minimum I set for myself at the beginning, work on T3 - covering the Age of the Ironclads - will now commence in earnest; with a planned launch date some time prior to June 2019 (hopefully).

If that works out good, then T4 - the age of the Dreadnoughts - commencing some time in the second half of the year, is certainly very possible.

Best regards to all,

Paul
    Last edited by panther3485; 17 Dec 18, 07:12.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X