X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update:

Most important thing first:
    Despite some additional and not fully anticipated difficulties happening in my real life, which took up yet more time, I am still on target to launch Round 1 of T2 this weekend; 25-26 August.

However, to be comfortable with doing that I'll be wanting to make one stipulation:
    Not all of the 32 polls will be ready exactly in time.
    Reason:

In my previous message just above (post #120), I suggested that I might somewhat shorten the text content of my opening match posts, so as to be certain of being able to commence on weekend 25-26 August.

Since then, I've given this quite a bit of thought and have decided that I wouldn't be comfortable with that option.
    Simply put, with my previous tournaments and campaigns I've tried to maintain or improve on a certain minimum level of quality, which includes what I regard as a reasonable amount of basic information, as well as some anecdotal stuff here and there to make things a little more interesting.
    It's probable that a fair proportion of members are not all that fussy about it but the thing is, I'm fussy about it.
    Having set the bar at a certain level, I am extremely reluctant to reduce what I regard as my "signature level" of quality.
    BTW, not saying my stuff is all that good; only that my aim is to maintain or improve whatever level of quality I've achieved, NOT lower it.

I think that significant truncation of the material I post for each candidate would negatively impact on quality; at least, as I see it. Therefore, I am going to add as much content - pictorial and written - as I would normally be inclined to want to do.

What this means is, that when I kick off Round 1 this weekend, not all of the 32 polls will be on the start line immediately. Based on the way things are going now, I should have at least 8 of them ready. This opening launch will be either late tonight my time (Saturday 25 Aug) or at worst, no later than mid-day Sunday 26 Aug. Again, this is my time in Oz, which is well ahead of US time.

As for the remaining 24 polls, given their state of readiness right now, I'm thinking another 8 can be completed each couple of days (i.e. Monday, Wednesday and Friday). This should be doable without making me unhappy with the standard of my work. The entire 32 polls of T2 Round 1, should be up and running by the beginning of next weekend.

Furthermore, given that with a tournament of this size I would normally allow at least 2 weeks for the first round, it's not really going to be all that different from most previous tournaments. At worst, I might add an extra week if it looks as if members are too slow on the uptake. This is not set in stone; we'll see how we go with that.
    Once everyone who looks likely to want to participate is in, I think we'll move from Round 2 thru successive rounds at 1-week intervals, just as we usually do.

I'll post some sort of announcement as soon as the first batch of polls is ready to go.

Best to everyone and thanks to all of you for your patience,
    Paul
    Last edited by panther3485; 25 Aug 18, 07:05.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

• Looking forward to this!

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Thanks.

I sincerely hope that a substantial number of members feel the same way.
        I guess I'll find out soon enough.
        "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

• Yaaayyyyyy!!!!!!

OK guys, made it at last!

The first 8 out of 32 matches for Round 1 of T2, are now available for your viewing and voting pleasure!

If things go according to plan, I'll be able to add a further 8 each couple of days so that by next weekend, all 32 matches should be in place, as per my plan outlined above.

Once again, apologies for the seemingly endless delays but these were due to factors pretty much beyond my control.
          Once all the matches are up and running, preparing successive rounds should be relatively easy as nearly all the materials will be there already.
          I've allowed for a few image changes here and there for a bit of variety.

Enjoy!

Comment

• Ran into a small hitch over the last 12 or so hours.
            Some of the warship images in my first 8 matches disappeared!
            I managed to work out how this happened and have restored them; so everything should be OK now.
            For anyone who noticed this, my apologies for any inconvenience or frustration it may have caused.

Best to all,
            Paul

Comment

• Magnificent work, Paul,. Well done,indeed.
              "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
              Samuel Johnson.

Comment

• Thanks my friend; a little appreciation does go a long way.

Comment

• OK guys, had a tougher than usual week and since last weekend I've managed to complete all of the text, links etc in ONLY 4 MORE of the polls.
                  I was intending to complete them in batches of 8 but given that it's the weekend already and I'd need to do work on another 4 that might not be fully completed by Sunday, I decided to move the 4 I have done into Armchair Attacks right now. That way, at least you've got those extra 4 to get into.
                  For those that haven't voted at all yet, that's 12 ready to go now.
                  I'll keep doing the best I can but here in Oz, this Sunday is Father's Day so I'll be expected, and will want to spend time with my family and my own Dad, in addition to all the other stuff I'm trying to juggle.

Anyway, for those who have already voted in the first 8, please feel free to have a crack at the extra 4. If anyone hasn't had a go at this yet and wants to, there are now 12 polls to play with (12 down and 20 to go!)

I'm finding it hard to keep my promises regarding exact deadlines but one promise I will always keep is to see it through. Thanks again for your patience, everyone.

BTW, the polls now go to a second page, with ten on page 1 and the remaining two on page 2.

Please enjoy. More coming at a very steady pace.
                  I intend to date the closure of Round 1 (and therefore, the opening of Round 2) about a week after the last of the 32 Round 1 polls become available.
                  I shall also commence recording who has voted in what, just as I always do, so I can work out who will be eligible to get their forum name on the Roll of Honor, as a ribbon award.

Best to all,
                  Paul
                  Last edited by panther3485; 01 Sep 18, 13:31.

Comment

• Update:

Another small batch of 4 polls should be up before this weekend is out. That will be 16 up and 16 more to be completed. I'm finding that with my currently even more severe time constraints, finishing 4 at a time before posting is working better. Spare time is now so scarce a commodity, it's taking me several days to a week for each batch.

It has also occurred to me that being slow with this part of the process may not be all bad under the circumstances; given the relatively low participation rate up to this point. I think we have 11 active (that is, voting) participants so far?
                    That might be partly because a significant proportion of members are visiting ACG rather less frequently than they used to. It may also be at least partly because some members are waiting until all 32 polls of Round 1 are up before voting in any of them? Not sure but time will tell I guess.

Anyway, regardless of the reasons for the (relatively) low numbers up to this point, progress - while slow - is steady and reliable. Once all 32 Round 1 polls are up, we'll see what's what. We can then also progress through the successive rounds, which is something I'm really looking forward to.

For me, the mere fact that the number of participants has gone into double digits is good enough to encourage my efforts but of course, I would love to see more.

Best to everyone,
                    Paul
                    Last edited by panther3485; 08 Sep 18, 23:48.

Comment

• Further to the above, I am still working on the 4th pairing and it's getting late (just past 9:00pm here), so not entirely sure I would actually finish it tonight. However, I will finish it ASAP which probably means somewhere around this time tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm feeling pretty pleased with the first three so I decided to open them now.
                      These three latest parings are numbers 44, 45 and 46 and can be found on page 2. Of course, they may not stay on page 2 for long if somebody adds comments along with their votes. Enjoy!

All the rest will be following steadily, as quickly as I can get them ready.

Comment

• Great job..Thanks

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

• Originally posted by slick24 View Post
                          Great job..Thanks
                          My pleasure.

For everyone's information I would like to add, that the sixteenth match - Pairing #47, British Frigate vs French Frigate, is now up.
                          That's 16 completed and another 16 partly done & awaiting completion.
                          I'll complete those as quickly as I can but with so little free time, at the current rate it could easily run into another couple of weeks. However, I shall do the best I can.

I notice that so far, it seems like on average once every 2 or 3 days, another member joins us in the voting.
                          In that regard, the extended time factor could actually work well in terms of participation for Round 1.
                          Once that's established, Rounds 2 onwards can be run on a weekly basis; easy to do as all the material is there already. Besides, mostly, anyone who hasn't joined us by the time Round 2 is running probably isn't going to (except maybe for a few "late starters" that we always get in these tournaments.)

Anyway, thanks and stay tuned.

Comment

• ATTENTION: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Hi guys,

The 16 threads for the remaining polls of Round 1 have been created, the polls within them configured, the images all inserted and a small amount of the text included for each one.

After this last weekend (8-9 September), I began adding further text, info, links etc into some of those poll threads; the aim being to have a decent cluster of them ready before the coming weekend. Of course, this is using whatever bits of spare time I can get; an hour here, two hours there etc.
                            In the early afternoon of Tuesday 11 September after getting home from work (my shift is usually an early morning start), I began to continue working on those threads.

Unfortunately, after an hour or so with everything working OK, something of a technical nature suddenly and unexpectedly went wrong. I couldn't save any additions or changes any more. I tried to make additions or updates in several different threads, to see if the issue was with the one thread, but nothing would save when I finished, no matter which of the poll threads I tried.
                            I even tried making small wording changes to one or two of the currently running threads in Armchair attacks, with exactly the same results: Nothing would save and I was forced to exit the thread without saving.
                            The interesting thing is, that this is only affecting my 32 poll threads. No other thread of mine - old or new - seems to have this problem.

The notice that appears in the poll threads (when I try to save an addition or a change) is as follows:

Invalid server response. Please try again.

There is an "OK" button which closes the notification so you can try again. Of course, I tried that (trying again) ... up to 20 times in one case ... but to no avail. The original notice keeps re-appearing and I am completely unable to make any changes or updates.
                            The situation has been like that for at least 36 hours now!

On my home computer, I double-checked my Kaspersky anti-virus and cleared my browser cache, just in case that may have been triggering the problem somehow. Made no difference.
                            I tried editing and saving one of the poll threads from my computer at work, during today's lunch break. Different computer, different operating system, different network, different line etc etc. No change. Still having the same problem.

I've come to the conclusion that the issue is almost certainly at the ACG end (or something associated with that end) of the line.
                            I sincerely hope the problem can be corrected in due course; especially after all the work I've been putting into this campaign!

Guys, here's what I intend to do in the meantime:

Tonight, I've created 16 x Microsoft Word files. One for each of the remaining poll threads.
                            Starting tomorrow, I'll continue to work but will type all of my additional text & notes; add any links, etc, into those Word files. I'll continue in that mode until the problem is resolved, which hopefully it will be, before too much longer.
                            I'll then have the additional material prepared in a similar time-frame, as would have been the case anyway.
                            Hopefully, somebody can help me with a solution over the next few days or so?
                            Once the problem has been resolved and the poll threads are working properly again, I can copy all my work into them and we'll be back in business.

I choose to be optimistic. I think it should be possible for this issue to be resolved. Worst case scenario is, I guess, that I would have to start again from scratch? Hoping like all hell that this isn't the case, though.
                            Last edited by panther3485; 12 Sep 18, 11:15.

Comment

• Update

First up: The technical issue mentioned in the above post was overcome during the last weekend and I have confirmed this in a couple of other threads where I raised my concerns.
                              It did cause me to lose some time (several days at least) but I am now catching up.

Anyway, on to fresh business:

20 of the Round 1 polls for T2, are now up and running here, in Armchair Attacks.
                              The remaining 12 are being steadily added, in 1s and 2s, as and when I can find the time to complete them.
                              I'll make another announcement when all 32 polls are open and in place.
                              However, if you are at all interested and haven't begun already, please feel free to start voting any time you like.

Please note that all announcements regarding the general progress of this second tournament will be posted either in this thread right here, or in the other "sticky" thread titled "Campaign Introduction, Next Round and Next Tournament Announcements".

One or two members have expressed dissatisfaction with the loss of "Forum Wide Announcements", which we used to be able to use to let everyone know when one round ends and the next round is starting, regardless of what part of ACG they were looking at.
                              I can empathize because I too, am not happy with this but it's beyond my power so here's what I suggest:

If you check into each of the above-mentioned threads say, a couple of times a week; or at the very least once per week near the beginning of each weekend, you WILL be able to see what's going on because I will announce all important information and updates in one or another of those two threads, on a regular basis.
                              Follow these, and you can't get lost.

So far, 13 member have voted; although some have only voted in a few of the polls up until now.
                              Some other members may be waiting until all 32 of the Round 1 polls are up together? That's fine too.

I became a bit happier when we reached 10 voting members because I was concerned we'd not break out of single digit participation. That's how worried I was.

I'll be even happier if we've got 20 or more by the time this tournament is over.

Best to all,
                              Paul

PS: After a number of setbacks for me, and a few occasions when it was a struggle to keep a lid on my own frustration and even anger, much less anyone else's, we are now really getting somewhere with this!
                              Last edited by panther3485; 17 Sep 18, 11:20.

Comment

• Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                                Update

First up: The technical issue mentioned in the above post was overcome during the last weekend and I have confirmed this in a couple of other threads where I raised my concerns.
                                It did cause me to lose some time (several days at least) but I am now catching up.

Anyway, on to fresh business:

20 of the Round 1 polls for T2, are now up and running here, in Armchair Attacks.
                                The remaining 12 are being steadily added, in 1s and 2s, as and when I can find the time to complete them.
                                I'll make another announcement when all 32 polls are open and in place.
                                However, if you are at all interested and haven't begun already, please feel free to start voting any time you like.

Please note that all announcements regarding the general progress of this second tournament will be posted either in this thread right here, or in the other "sticky" thread titled "Campaign Introduction, Next Round and Next Tournament Announcements".

One or two members have expressed dissatisfaction with the loss of "Forum Wide Announcements", which we used to be able to use to let everyone know when one round ends and the next round is starting, regardless of what part of ACG they were looking at.
                                I can empathize because I too, am not happy with this but it's beyond my power so here's what I suggest:

If you check into each of the above-mentioned threads say, a couple of times a week; or at the very least once per week near the beginning of each weekend, you WILL be able to see what's going on because I will announce all important information and updates in one or another of those two threads, on a regular basis.
                                Follow these, and you can't get lost.

So far, 13 member have voted; although some have only voted in a few of the polls up until now.
                                Some other members may be waiting until all 32 of the Round 1 polls are up together? That's fine too.

I became a bit happier when we reached 10 voting members because I was concerned we'd not break out of single digit participation. That's how worried I was.

I'll be even happier if we've got 20 or more by the time this tournament is over.

Best to all,
                                Paul

PS: After a number of setbacks for me, and a few occasions when it was a struggle to keep a lid on my own frustration and even anger, much less anyone else's, we are now really getting somewhere with this!
                                Thank you for this poll .
                                How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X