Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Warships Campaign - Questions, Comments and Concerns

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Merkava188 View Post
    Thank you for the ribbon for tournament1. Will there be one for tournament 2?
    Yes.

The plan was to have at least four tournaments; referred to in short as T1, T2, T3 and T4. Each will have its own separate ribbon.
    The ribbons for T2 and T3 are already designed and finalized. Designs for T4 are in progress.

As mentioned previously, Dibble201Bty very kindly agreed to donate his time and effort in the actual production of the ribbons.
    This helped me a lot, as I do not have the necessary software and even if I had obtained it, extra time would have been required to learn how to use it to good effect.
    Dibble also helped me considerably to refine the ribbon designs; adding some excellent ideas and adjustments to my original basic concepts.
    Therefore, the "lion's share" of credit for those ribbons rightfully belongs to him.
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

The next tournament is when?
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        The next tournament is when?
        Thanks for the question, MM. (I'm surprised someone didn't ask before this.)

In my own mind, I had previously set the next tournament (T2) to begin on a weekend this month.
        This should have been either 2-3 or 9-10 Dec but if not, then it would have been this coming weekend,16-17 Dec at the latest.
        However, due to a major family crisis requiring my support and some other factors, I'm not likely to be ready now until about mid January.
        My apologies to everyone.

I have still made significant progress and some weeks ago, I decided on 64 warships rather than 32 at the starting line.
        Of course, while that can be seen as a good thing it also means more work; a small additional factor in the delay.
        Nevertheless, I'm well on the way with the gathering of data etc; and some of the images I'll need.

I think my new approximate target date is achievable and I should be able to give a more accurate estimate early in the New Year.

Regards,
        Paul
        "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

No problem. hope the family crisis comes\came out ok

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
            Thanks for the question, MM. (I'm surprised someone didn't ask before this.)

In my own mind, I had previously set the next tournament (T2) to begin on a weekend this month.
            This should have been either 2-3 or 9-10 Dec but if not, then it would have been this coming weekend,16-17 Dec at the latest.
            However, due to a major family crisis requiring my support and some other factors, I'm not likely to be ready now until about mid January.
            My apologies to everyone.

I have still made significant progress and some weeks ago, I decided on 64 warships rather than 32 at the starting line.
            Of course, while that can be seen as a good thing it also means more work; a small additional factor in the delay.
            Nevertheless, I'm well on the way with the gathering of data etc; and some of the images I'll need.

I think my new approximate target date is achievable and I should be able to give a more accurate estimate early in the New Year.

Regards,
            Paul
            I'm very sorry to hear about your difficulties. I hope everything comes out for the best.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I look forward the Tournament 2 real soon.

Comment

Sorry to hear that you are having issues Paul. I hope everything works out for the best.
                BoRG
                'A Battle is the Shield Wall. It's smelling your enemy's breath while he tries to disembowel you with an axe'

Comment

I hope that your difficulties are put away before the holidays. And, by the way, the best to you and your whole fam.
                  Is there any indication of the era of vessels that we will be debating in the second tournament? I'd like to be as prepared as possible.
                  ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                  IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes ...

Thanks for the good wishes, guys.
                    The family member my wife and I are both very concerned about, has been receiving more comprehensive help and treatment recently.
                    There are hopeful signs that she is "turning the corner" and starting to make real progress.

Anyway, after this and all the usual Christmas/New Year stuff, I'm starting back into my work on the next Warships tournament.
                    I'm optimistically looking at the 2nd or 3rd weekend in January 2018; worst anticipated scenario could take me into early February.

A fair bit of work was already done before I set it aside a few weeks ago.
                    I was originally going to run 32 candidates (warship types) in T2 but found out quite early in the piece that this wasn't going to give adequate coverage.
                    I have therefore decided to run 64 types, some of which will not be greatly different from some others but will offer more options to vote from and - hopefully - a bit more balance.

The warships in T2 will cover the period from 1601 to (about) 1850.
                    I've actually figured out what most of them will be. Just need to make some final decisions; a little culling here and there; and fill the last few gaps.
                    Then I'll continue gathering images and information (some of which has already been done.)

I hope that answers most of the questions you guys might have.
                    Meanwhile, feel free to ask more at any time.

Thanks to all of you for your participation in T1 and I'll try not to keep you all waiting too long for T2.

Comment

Update

Update:

Hi guys,

This is just to advise that the situation with my family member, and their need for on-going support, has stabilized enough for me to re-commence work on the 2nd warships tournament (T2).
                      As a result, I was able to tentatively begin picking it up again over this weekend (20-21 Jan).

On a daily basis, I still don't have as much free time as I used to and that is unlikely to change significantly for at least another month or so.
                      Nevertheless, I am setting myself the target to be ready to run T2 by about the end of February if possible.
                      I wouldn't want it to be significantly later than that, as I would like breathing space to prepare, run and conclude both T3 and T4 as well, before the end of 2018.
                      Both of those are likely to be at least as big as T2, which will have 64 warship types. (In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it went to 128 types in one or both of them.)

In the meantime, thanks to all of you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards to all,
                      Paul

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                      Thanks for the good wishes, guys.
                      The family member my wife and I are both very concerned about, has been receiving more comprehensive help and treatment recently.
                      There are hopeful signs that she is "turning the corner" and starting to make real progress.

Anyway, after this and all the usual Christmas/New Year stuff, I'm starting back into my work on the next Warships tournament.
                      I'm optimistically looking at the 2nd or 3rd weekend in January 2018; worst anticipated scenario could take me into early February.

A fair bit of work was already done before I set it aside a few weeks ago.
                      I was originally going to run 32 candidates (warship types) in T2 but found out quite early in the piece that this wasn't going to give adequate coverage.
                      I have therefore decided to run 64 types, some of which will not be greatly different from some others but will offer more options to vote from and - hopefully - a bit more balance.

The warships in T2 will cover the period from 1601 to (about) 1850.
                      I've actually figured out what most of them will be. Just need to make some final decisions; a little culling here and there; and fill the last few gaps.
                      Then I'll continue gathering images and information (some of which has already been done.)

I hope that answers most of the questions you guys might have.
                      Meanwhile, feel free to ask more at any time.

Thanks to all of you for your participation in T1 and I'll try not to keep you all waiting too long for T2.

Comment

Thanks for the update, Paul. I'm sure that there are many of us who are eagerly anticipating the next tourney.
                        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

No worries and thanks for the expression of support.

I have now got a preliminary working total of 74 warships, from 11 different nations/powers (listed in alphabetical order):
                          • Barbary States
                          • Denmark/Norway
                          • England/Britain
                          • France
                          • Holland
                          • Russia
                          • Spain
                          • Sweden
                          • Turkey/Ottoman Empire
                          • USA
                          • Venice

Some of these will have more types than others, depending on their prominence or importance as a maritime power. For example, the English/British and the Dutch will have a larger number each while at the other end of the scale, Venice will only have one or at most two, given that its status as a maritime power was all but vanishing during this period.

However, it's possible that I could make some adjustments to any or all of these powers as I go along and discover more information.
                          I decided not to include any of the east Asian powers in this particular tournament as their most successful/interesting types were, as far as I can see, already dealt with in T1 and in some cases these same basic types continued to serve well into the period covered by T2.
                          However, east Asian warships are certainly planned to make a return appearance in T3 and T4.

A substantial proportion of the warships will be of same basic class or type but with variations from one nation to another or one time to another.
                          The 74 will of course be culled down to the required 64 for the tournament.
                          (Starting with a small surplus of types allows me to remove some if I find insufficient information or if I can't get reasonable pictures).

I'm busy gathering and editing more images at this point and will need a lot more still, which will keep me occupied for a while yet.
                          Then after the final cull, it's the writing-up for each of the 64, and working out the initial pairings.

Will keep folks posted on my progress from time to time.
                          Last edited by panther3485; 24 Jan 18, 10:06.

Comment

Sounds great...take your time...

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

Mid February update

Since my last post here, I have continued to make slow but steady progress.
                              A substantial additional amount of reading/research has been done; and the pool of usable images more than doubled.

The main inhibitor is the reduction of spare time due to personal/family factors but I do at least a little bit on most days.

Based on the current rate of progress, I anticipate a launch before the end of March.
                              If my general situation improves, somewhere around mid March may even be possible.
                              So, somewhere between 4 - 6 weeks from now, roughly speaking, would - I think - be fairly realistic.
                              Can't be any more precise than this at the moment but will post another update as soon as I'm able to say something more of substance.

The sheer scale of this next tournament is considerably bigger than the first one.
                              Double the number of warships of course; but also a lot more reading, as in most cases the sources of information are richer and more detailed.

I DO like the way it's shaping up, though; and I'm learning a heck of a lot along the way.
                              Makes me feel like I want to build some warship models ...
                              ... but that is another time consuming activity, so will save it for later. Cough, cough.

Best to all,
                              Paul
                              Last edited by panther3485; 16 Feb 18, 11:46.

Comment

Looking forward to it! It's worth the wait imho. We appreciate the head's up.
                                BoRG
                                'A Battle is the Shield Wall. It's smelling your enemy's breath while he tries to disembowel you with an axe'

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X