Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To all participants: Important Reminder!

Hi guys,
    Just a gentle reminder:
    Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
    To qualify for the Campaign award

Members will need to participate to the required minimum level in all of the Tournaments, or all of the Tournaments except one.
    In other words, you can't miss more than one Tournament.
    It is planned that there will be at least 4 Tournaments in this Warships Campaign.
    See below for required participation levels in each Tournament:

To qualify for a Tournament award

(1) Participate to the required minimum level, in all of the rounds or all rounds except 1 (that is, you are only allowed to miss 1 round max).
    (2) The required minimum level of participation is to vote in no less than half minus 1 of the polls in the tournament.
    For example, the current tournament - with 32 candidates - will have 31 polls (16+8+4+2+1). This means you must vote in at least 15 polls, across at least 4 of the 5 Rounds to qualify.
    Hint: You can get off to an excellent start here, by making sure of robust participation in the current Round 1, because it contains 16 of the 31 polls.
    However, if you happen to miss Round 1 altogether, it is still possible to catch up by voting in all 15 of the remaining polls.

Please note: It is yet to be decided whether the Tournament awards should simply be bars or other additions to the Campaign ribbon; or perhaps each Tournament should have a separate ribbon in its own right?
    (I intend to discuss this with the other Staff members before making that decision.
    Obviously, I'm also open to input from participating members on this question.
    Stay tuned. )

Best to all,
    panther3485
    "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Almost halfway ....

... Round 3 is now under way!

At the closure of Round 1, 45 members had cast 615 votes across 16 polls.
      During Round 2, another 4 members joined us, so we now have 49 participating members.
      That's the upside!

However, no less than 21 of the members who had voted in Round 1 ...
      ... didn't vote at all in Round 2!

Nevertheless, at least half of these have voted in all 16 of the Round 1 polls.
      The minimum number of votes to "qualify" in this 1st Tournament is 16.
      Therefore, you guys have at least made it across that line.

It would still be nice if at least some of you return to the fray, though.
      Perhaps if not in Round 3, they maybe in the Semi-Final and the Final?
      We'll see.

For anyone who may have missed both Round 1 AND Round 2, all is not lost.
      At least 3 more Tournaments are planned for this Campaign, which will allow you to qualify for the Campaign award.
      In the meantime, please feel free to join us in the current tournament for the fun value.
      (It's also possible to learn a thing or two, even if only by accident! )

Best to all,
      panther3485
      Last edited by panther3485; 19 Sep 17, 06:30.
      "England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Comment

Call for help

Hi guys,

I need help, or at the very least some advice, regarding the production of Tournament/Campaign ribbons.

In previous Campaigns, I've been lucky to get very substantial help from one member or another, to produce the ribbons.
        In fact, without that help I just would not have been able to do it.

Unfortunately, the member who helped me with the last major Campaign (Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft)
        is unable to help me with the current campaign as he no longer has the necessary software.

If someone who does have the necessary software and is good at using it would be willing to help, that would be great.
        Otherwise, I need some advice on what software to acquire and to give myself a crash-course in how to use it!
        I guess I do need to learn this some time.

Any constructive suggestions and/or offers of expert help would be most welcome!
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        BTW, I'm thinking it could be a good idea to have a separate ribbon for each of the (probably 4) Tournaments in this Campaign;
        with an additional extra-special looking one for members who complete ALL the tournaments to the required level of participation?
        (Total: 5 ribbons) Or do you guys think that would be too much?

I guess another alternative would be a separate ribbon for each properly completed pair of tournaments
        (so, 2 instead of 4); + an additional special one for doing them all? (Total: 3 ribbons)

Otherwise, we can stick to a single ribbon for the whole thing.

Any other reasonable suggestion considered!

(If there are 2 or 3 good competing suggestions and I can't decide, then I guess we can have a poll on that, too! )

Last edited by panther3485; 19 Sep 17, 06:57.

Comment

Warships Semi-Final closing VERY SOON!!!! One poll is NECK & NECK!!!!

Guys, right now one of the two polls in our current Warships Tournament is tied, with each candidate having received 16 votes:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=179546

If the tie is not broken by further voting by the time that poll closes, I will apply the same rule as announced previously:
          The warship I voted for will be declared the winner.
          I'd rather not have to do this .. far better to be decided by the membership!

Comment

Since I have already voted, what will be will be.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Since I have already voted, what will be will be.
              Fair enough.

We still have about 20 hours left and quite a few participating members haven't voted yet.
              Even if only one of those members votes, we'll have a decision.
              However, if two vote and each goes the opposite way, we've gone in a circle.
              The following hours will tell, I guess.

Comment

Fair enough.

We still have about 20 hours left and quite a few participating members haven't voted yet.
                Even if only one of those members votes, we'll have a decision.
                However, if two vote and each goes the opposite way, we've gone in a circle.
                The following hours will tell, I guess.
                As we say up here in the Rocky Mountains..."yep".

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Progress report

With our first warships tournament in its final round, I thought this would be a good time to reflect on progress so far.
                  First of all, the raw figures:

Up to the end of Round 4 (the Semi-Final), 52 members had cast 1,036 votes across 30 polls.
                  However, this includes a minority of members who I might describe as "fly-in-fly-out". That is, they only cast a handful of votes over the whole of those 4 rounds.
                  This has happened in previous tournaments so it's nothing new; but it does lower the average "participation rate".
                  Also as with previous tournaments, there were a few members who joined part-way through and therefore missed the first one, two or even three rounds.

Round 2 showed the lowest participation rate but this picked up considerably in Rounds 3 and 4.
                  Average number of votes per poll in each round:
                  • Round 1 - 38.44
                  • Round 2 - 26.63
                  • Round 3 - 34.50
                  • Round 4 - 35.00

So, I ask myself, how do I rate this?
                  Actually, not bad at all if certain factors are taken into account which are:

(1) During my time at ACG, it's been my observation that many members are into aircraft and armour but only a relative minority are that much into warships.
                  (Until relatively recently at least, I must include myself in the majority.)
                  (2) The time period being covered - Ancient to Middle Ages, pretty much, is - I am guessing - likely to engage fewer members than later periods.
                  We'll see if I'm right about that.
                  (3) Not sure what the actual numbers are but it does seem that overall membership participation in the ACG forums these days, is not what it used to be even a few years ago.
                  If this last perception is correct, I hope we recover to some extent at least. I'm sure gonna do my best. Time will tell.

Anyway, thanks to all members who have participated so far.
                  You have all played a part in helping to make the exercise as successful as it was.
                  Overall, the result HAS been enough to encourage me to want to do more.
                  (I wasn't sure how this was going to go. )

Anyway, just to let you all know I've begun working more seriously now, on the materials for the 2nd tournament.
                  However, I am not likely to be fully ready to launch T2 until maybe about a month - give or take a little - after this one finishes. Stay tuned.
                  In the meantime, I'll post occasionally about the warship types being worked on and will be asking for input and comments, as I did with the current tournament.

Please see next post below, regarding ribbons.

Best to all,
                  Paul
                  Last edited by panther3485; 16 Oct 17, 09:02.

Comment

Help!

Can anyone help me with ribbon design?

In previous tournaments, I've had support from one member or another, to actually design and create a ribbon.
                    The member who helped me last time is unable to do so this time.
                    If there are any among you with the necessary software and know-how, and willing to help, THIS is the time to let me know.

Otherwise if help is not forthcoming, I can probably find out what kind of software is needed, acquire it, and then learn how to use it.
                    However, this is likely to take considerably longer, as well as diverting my time and effort away from the main task of preparing for the next Tournament.
                    So, if anyone can help, please let me know ASAP!!!!
                    I would like to be able to award a separate ribbon for each of the (4 planned) warships tournaments, if that is doable?

Thanks and regards,
                    Paul
                    Last edited by panther3485; 16 Oct 17, 09:16.

Comment

Can anyone help me with ribbon design?

In previous tournaments, I've had support from one member or another, to actually design and create a ribbon.
                      The member who helped me last time is unable to do so this time.
                      If there are any among you with the necessary software and know-how, and willing to help, THIS is the time to let me know.

Otherwise if help is not forthcoming, I can probably find out what kind of software is needed, acquire it, and then learn how to use it.
                      However, this is likely to take considerably longer, as well as diverting my time and effort away from the main task of preparing for the next Tournament.
                      So, if anyone can help, please let me know ASAP!!!!
                      I would like to be able to award a separate ribbon for each of the (4 planned) warships tournaments, if that is doable?

Thanks and regards,
                      Paul
                      Let me have a crack at it. Can you PM me what the other tournaments are?
                      Last edited by MarkV; 16 Oct 17, 11:18.
                      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                        Let me have a crack at it. Can you PM me what the other tournaments are?
                        Thanks MarkV, more than happy if you think you can help.
                        I'm also thinking of design ideas and your input on that aspect too, as well as any other points you might wish to raise, would be welcome.

I'd also like to have a "bar" available for the first ribbon, to be awarded to those members who participated significantly in the preceding Mini-Polls, in addition to qualifying for the award in Tournament 1.

I haven't finalized the exact titles for proposed tournaments 2, 3 and 4 yet but give me a day or two to make up my mind for certain; at least about the boundaries. At the moment, my thinking is:

T2 - The sailing warship at its peak - the great ships and ships-of-the line, as well as smaller types; from, say, near the mid 1600's, through the 1700's and early 1800's; sloops and corvettes for example; as well as ships-of-the-line and frigates.

T3 - From the advent of the Ironclads (around the mid 1800's) through to the pre-dreadnoughts; again with smaller types included.

T4 - From the dreadnoughts through to end of WW2. Again, some smaller types in the mix too?

My early numbers are already making larger tournament sizes (larger than T1) look fairly likely.
                        Will firm these general ideas up, and send more details by PM soon, as requested.
                        We can communicate on-going from there, if that's OK?
                        Last edited by panther3485; 16 Oct 17, 11:51.

Comment

Warships Campaign - Summary of Tournament 1

The Final for Tournament 1 closed yesterday so time for a quick summary, I think.

By the time we got to the end, 55 members had participated; casting 1,074 votes across 31 polls in 5 rounds.

The lowest number of votes cast in any poll was 25, this occurring in Round 2, Pairing #22, European Fighting Carrack vs Portuguese Square-Rigged Caravel.

The highest number of votes was 41, occurring in Round 1, Pairing #8, Arab Shalandi vs Norse/Viking Longships.

Out of the 55 participating members, close to 40 - roughly around 70 percent - were what I'd describe as "seriously engaged" (in terms of the number of polls they actually voted in), which isn't bad at all IMO.

Indeed, from my recollections of previous tournaments, the "quick dippers" or "fly-in-fly-outs" as I call them generally do comprise about 30 percent of all participants.

All in all, not bad; especially considering that the topic of warships seems to engage less people anyway, than armour, aircraft and some other subjects at ACG.

I think the results of this first tournament ARE good enough to justify the effort involved in doing some more.
                          Also, I think it's quite likely that later eras of warships could easily be somewhat more popular and engage more members.
                          Perhaps that will become especially so when we get to the 19th & 20th centuries?

I intend to take a "break" (ha ha, very funny) of about one month - estimated approx; give or take a week or so, maybe - before launching the 2nd Tournament in the Campaign, with a similar break in between Tournaments 2 & 3, and 3 & 4.
                          However, much of the time during this first "break" - as most of you can guess - will be taken up with continuing work on materials, images, data etc to get ready for T2.

Thanks to all involved for your enthusiastic participation and, in many cases, support for the whole idea as well as some tips & info for me along the way as well; here and there.
                          You know who you are.

Best to all,
                          Paul
                          Last edited by panther3485; 30 Oct 17, 09:42.

Comment

When does the next phase of this campaign get started?

Comment

Originally posted by Merkava188 View Post
                              When does the next phase of this campaign get started?
                              With preparations for the next tournament already under way (and everything else going on in my "real life" which is a lot right now) I'm planning to launch T2 weekend 2-3 December.
                              In other words, 4 weeks from today.
                              If I go better than expected and it only takes me 3 more weeks, weekend 25-26 November.
                              If it takes an extra week, weekend 9-10 December.
                              That's about as close as I can call it right now.

What this means, of course, is that our second tournament in this campaign will be running over the Christmas/New Year period.
                              As I did in a previous campaign where one of the rounds fell over Christmas/New Year, I'll allow a few days extra for that particular round.

Comment

With preparations for the next tournament already under way (and everything else going on in my "real life" which is a lot right now) I'm planning to launch T2 weekend 2-3 December.
                                In other words, 4 weeks from today.
                                If I go better than expected and it only takes me 3 more weeks, weekend 25-26 November.
                                If it takes an extra week, weekend 9-10 December.
                                That's about as close as I can call it right now.

What this means, of course, is that our second tournament in this campaign will be running over the Christmas/New Year period.
                                As I did in a previous campaign where one of the rounds fell over Christmas/New Year, I'll allow a few days extra for that particular round.
                                Well come on then, no more feeble excuses ! lcm1
                                'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                                " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X